Tire-Making - Less Splitting / More Wrinkles and...... German?

Old November 7th 12, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

Default Tire-Making - Less Splitting / More Wrinkles and...... German?

Another test is posted, with some trivia.
http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim.../test_004.html

tiny-
http://tinyurl.com/dytdotx

-------

By the by, I desire to learn German. What is good (Windows) software for
this? Obviously the most-expensive ones are likely best, but maybe I can
ask another way,,,,, What ones are crap?

I already bought a Barron's English-German dictionary, and it includes
an e-book version that is a huge help (while at your PC, the e-book is
far easier to use than paging through the actual book) but it doesn't
help with learning proper sentence structuring.
Old November 7th 12, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/7/2012 5:22 PM, Doug Cimperman wrote:
Another test is posted, with some trivia.
http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim.../test_004.html

tiny-
http://tinyurl.com/dytdotx

-------

By the by, I desire to learn German. What is good (Windows)
software for this? Obviously the most-expensive ones are
likely best, but maybe I can ask another way,,,,, What ones
are crap?

I already bought a Barron's English-German dictionary, and
it includes an e-book version that is a huge help (while at
your PC, the e-book is far easier to use than paging through
the actual book) but it doesn't help with learning proper
sentence structuring.

Any particular reason you spun it as a radial fabric? The
history of previous radial casing bicycle tires is somewhere
between dismal and failure.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 8th 12, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 11-07-2012 18:22, Doug Cimperman wrote:
By the by, I desire to learn German. What is good (Windows) software for
this? Obviously the most-expensive ones are likely best, but maybe I can
ask another way,,,,, What ones are crap?

There is no good software for learning to communicate in a language.

One learns that best by doing it.

--
Wes Groleau

Guidelines for judging others:
1. Don't attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.
2. Don't attribute to stupidity that which
can be adequately explained by ignorance.
3. Don't attribute to ignorance that which
can be adequately explained by misunderstanding.
4. Don't attribute to misunderstanding that which
can be adequately explained by alcohol.

Old November 8th 12, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Nov 7, 6:22*pm, Doug Cimperman wrote:
Another test is posted, with some trivia.http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim...ies/recumbent/...

tiny-http://tinyurl.com/dytdotx

-------

By the by, I desire to learn German. What is good (Windows) software for
this? Obviously the most-expensive ones are likely best, but maybe I can
ask another way,,,,, What ones are crap?

I already bought a Barron's English-German dictionary, and it includes
an e-book version that is a huge help (while at your PC, the e-book is
far easier to use than paging through the actual book) but it doesn't
help with learning proper sentence structuring.

my wife has a knack for languages- not me- she learned hindi on her
own from watching bollywood movies. I would suggest trying to watch DW
news in original german and a few movies- there are some good war ones
with english translation sub-titled that might help- however, I went
to school overseas for a few years in the late 70's and can tell you
english does very well amonst german speakers; the dialect variation I
was told was so extreme that folks from different parts of germany
simply could not understand one another.
Old November 8th 12, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 11/7/2012 5:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

....Oops! did not mean to send that to your own email. I hit the wrong
damn button on Thunderbird.... They put the "reply" (to the poster's own
email) and the Followup" (to newsgroup) right next to each other.

I figured out how to remove it entirely. :|

-------

A couple people on Bikeforums talk longingly of the Miyata/Panasonic
radials. They claim that the handling WAS crap for racing--but for a
touring tire, they were the most comfortable tire ever made. Reading
that thread, I was rather surprised that more people did not understand
the different uses. When somebody buys a $100 racing tire and burns
through it in 1000 miles and complains that "it didn't last very long",
everyone kinda just says "well duh, dumbass". It was soft for max
traction, it wasn't supposed to last very long.

....Just as if you buy a 42-foot RV, you don't expect it to keep up with
a Porsche 911 Turbo (or even, to use the same tires...).

-------

A lot of German people do speak some English, I have seen.

My issues with German (at the moment) is the word orders and different
forms of the same word. My feeble attempts look very wrong, fed through
Babelfish. Also what is this Capitalization BS, where a word's
definition changes totally if it is capitalized? (in the middle of a
sentence, no less)

Also, I am asking about software for the PC (Windows 7/x64), not a phone.
Old November 8th 12, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 11/7/2012 10:06 PM, raamman wrote:
[...]

I have heard that a good way is to find music videos online that are
subtitled. for many people learning the words to a song is easier than
just learning a list of unconnected words. I may still get something
(software or a book) that gives the basics tho.

One German song I kinda already know most of the translated words to....
I dunno how many more times I can listen to "99 red balloons" however

Old November 8th 12, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 11/8/2012 7:07 AM, nmp wrote:
Doug Cimperman:

By the by, I desire to learn German. What is good (Windows) software for
this?

No idea. Tried the various online courses yet?

e.g.

http://www.dw.de/learn-german/german-courses/s-2547
http://www.deutsch-lernen.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/

I did not think there would be free ones that were complete.
Old November 8th 12, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
yirgster

(1) You've got to acquire the basic grammar. From a book, better in a class with a book. But finding a German class at a local CC or wherever might not be so easy these days. Around here (Bay Area) it's mostly espanol.

(2) doing it

Sign up for a free language exchange and then use free skype to converse. You put up your profile which includes what language you know and what language you want to learn. Then you contact people who want to learn or practice their english while helping you with their german. Or, they contact you.

Old November 8th 12, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 11/8/2012 8:44 AM, nmp wrote:
Doug Cimperman:
nmp:
Doug Cimperman:

By the by, I desire to learn German. What is good (Windows) software
for this?

No idea. Tried the various online courses yet?

e.g.

http://www.dw.de/learn-german/german-courses/s-2547
http://www.deutsch-lernen.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/

I did not think there would be free ones that were complete.

That just raises the philosophical question: what is "complete"?

The DW online courses appear to be quite gründlich.

Well, that's obvious really. They must teach every German word and
regional dialect in common use in the last thousand years.

Also I need to know it by Tuesday, so it should be quick.

--------

,,,,,Seriously I have seen websites in the past that said "Learn
[whatever language] free!" just had a couple elementary lessons to show
you how their (paid) software was laid out.

Also I am quite determined, I can assure you. Why, I even went and
bought a dictionary,,,, at the local Barnes and Noble no less.

They still sell books it seems: you go past the magazine racks, past the
coffee shop, through the big empty central area where they have all the
ebook readers (and a few bored people standing around doing nothing but
waiting to sell you one), past the role-playing-game aisle, and the
books are over next to the children's toys section.

They even still had the computer book-finder station! It seems to be
fairly useless these days. It appeared to be running on one of the
earlier diesel-powered 386's, and about half the results it returned for
any search were e-book versions.

Old November 8th 12, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

Default UPDATE - Death, Cheating Thereof and Scary Balloon Noises

On 11/7/2012 5:22 PM, Doug Cimperman wrote:
Another test is posted, with some trivia.
http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim.../test_004.html

tiny-
http://tinyurl.com/dytdotx

I tried pumping the #4 casing up. The above page is updated with some
pictures. Who cares? I dunno.