too-long spokes

Old October 31st 12, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default too-long spokes

Robert Cooper wrote:
:On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:18:35 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
:
: That's nice, but most competent LBS will calc them for you
:

:The LBS calculated the lengths and then inspected the first iteration of the wheel.

:Said is was no problem.

:I still think it IS a problem, so I’m going on to Plan B.

:I will post again, if Plan B works or if it does not work.

The calculation was a little non-standard, because I was using an Ultegra hub spaced to 135 -- with a replacement axle of correct length -- to fit my frame.)

The axle length doesn't change where the flanges are with regards to
the rim. That's what sets the length of the spokes.

--
sig 115
Old October 31st 12, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Oct 31, 12:40*pm, David Scheidt wrote:
Robert Cooper wrote:

:On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:18:35 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
:
: That's nice, but most competent LBS will calc them for you
:

:The LBS calculated the lengths and then inspected the first iteration of the wheel.

:Said is was no problem.

:I still think it IS a problem, so I’m going on to Plan B.

:I will post again, if Plan B works or if it does not work.

The calculation was a little non-standard, because I was using an Ultegra hub spaced to 135 -- with a replacement axle of correct length -- to fit my frame.)

The axle length doesn't change where the flanges are with regards to
the rim. *That's what sets the length of the spokes.

Axle length and spacing does affect dish. If he were dumping a bunch
of spacers on the left side, it would mean he could lengthen the
spokes on the right and reduce the over-all dish.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 31st 12, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Jay Beattie wrote:
:On Oct 31, 12:40Â*pm, David Scheidt wrote:
: Robert Cooper wrote:
:
: :On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:18:35 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
: :
: : That's nice, but most competent LBS will calc them for you
: :
:
: :The LBS calculated the lengths and then inspected the first iteration of the wheel.
:
: :Said is was no problem.
:
: :I still think it IS a problem, so I’m going on to Plan B.
:
: :I will post again, if Plan B works or if it does not work.
:
: The calculation was a little non-standard, because I was using an Ultegra hub spaced to 135 -- with a replacement axle of correct length -- to fit my frame.)
:
: The axle length doesn't change where the flanges are with regards to
: the rim. Â*That's what sets the length of the spokes.

:Axle length and spacing does affect dish. If he were dumping a bunch
f spacers on the left side, it would mean he could lengthen the
:spokes on the right and reduce the over-all dish.

Duh. I retract mhy earlier comment.

--
sig 103
Old October 31st 12, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/31/2012 2:40 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Robert Cooper wrote:
:On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:18:35 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
:
: That's nice, but most competent LBS will calc them for you
:

:The LBS calculated the lengths and then inspected the first iteration of the wheel.

:Said is was no problem.

:I still think it IS a problem, so I’m going on to Plan B.

:I will post again, if Plan B works or if it does not work.

The calculation was a little non-standard, because I was using an Ultegra hub spaced to 135 -- with a replacement axle of correct length -- to fit my frame.)

The axle length doesn't change where the flanges are with regards to
the rim. That's what sets the length of the spokes.

Did you ask them to replace the wrong length spokes?

I think you should have asked and I also think they should
have replaced them. But I'm an outside observer here.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 31st 12, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

: Robert Cooper wrote:
:
[...]

Sorry I replied to you and not to OP but I don't think you
are wrong.

Running a quick calc with a single wall Weinmann 215 27" on
Alivio rear hubs in 130mm and 135mm I get 0.4mm left side
difference and zero right side difference.

I still think the shop is in error and ought to exchange the
spokes.

Old October 31st 12, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 01/11/12 06:31, Robert Cooper wrote:
On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:18:35 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

That's nice, but most competent LBS will calc them for you

The LBS calculated the lengths and then inspected the first iteration
of the wheel.

Said is was no problem.

I still think it IS a problem, so I’m going on to Plan B.

I will post again, if Plan B works or if it does not work.

(The calculation was a little non-standard, because I was using an
Ultegra hub spaced to 135 -- with a replacement axle of correct
length -- to fit my frame.)

I guess if there was some room to move the hub right by adding washers
to the left side of the axle and removing some from the right, that
would effectively require longer right side spokes to maintain the rim
centred between the axle ends.

--
JS.
Old October 31st 12, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:18:35 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
datakoll wrote:

CHECK YOUR RIDE HISTORY....distances.....wheel rebuilds.....spokes out of whack..STRAIGHTEN WHEEL IN A WHEEL JIG ?

if you venture into these areas with some frequency consider buying new spokes at the correct lengths...ask the LBS for an eyeball

Dan O wrote:

My favorite LBS only charged me two bits apiece to cut down and roll

spokes that I brought in.

snip

That's nice, but most competent LBS will calc them for you

if you are buying a set of spokes. And then stand behind the

result, saving you from calculations, anguish and grinding a

wrong length spoke once built.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

for riders not capable of counting their toes with a real time mock up on a homemade dishing tool...

LBS meat

yawl could wear a pointy hat ?
Old October 31st 12, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

THIS ANTIQUO BEFORE INTERNET BOOK IN BIKE HISTORY TELLS HOW TO A DISHING BEAM. YAWL PLACE RIM ON BEAM WITH HUB IN CENTER HOLE, PLACE STRAIGHT EDGE....FIR ?////ACROSS MARK N MEASURE BUY 2 SPOKES EACH QUAD THEN INSERT TO SEEE IF THIS WORKS. DUH,

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bicy...=9780878577514

I CANNU BELIEVE YAWL PROMOTING MATH FOR BUILDING WHEELS. WHERE CRAFTSMANSHIP VS PSUEDO ROCKET SCIENCE FROM AN LBS ?

WHATS THE L STAND FOR ?

Old November 1st 12, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:57:33 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
THIS ANTIQUO BEFORE INTERNET BOOK IN BIKE HISTORY TELLS HOW TO A DISHING BEAM. YAWL PLACE RIM ON BEAM WITH HUB IN CENTER HOLE, PLACE STRAIGHT EDGE.....FIR ?////ACROSS MARK N MEASURE BUY 2 SPOKES EACH QUAD THEN INSERT TO SEEE IF THIS WORKS. DUH,

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bicy...=9780878577514

I CANNU BELIEVE YAWL PROMOTING MATH FOR BUILDING WHEELS. WHERE CRAFTSMANSHIP VS PSUEDO ROCKET SCIENCE FROM AN LBS ?

WHATS THE L STAND FOR ?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

https://www.google.com/search?q=++GO...w=1152&bih=614

Old November 1st 12, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bicy...plete-guide-to...

I CANNU BELIEVE YAWL PROMOTING MATH FOR BUILDING WHEELS. WHERE CRAFTSMANSHIP VS PSUEDO ROCKET SCIENCE FROM AN LBS ?

WHATS THE L STAND FOR ?

I need to make one. My snazzy Park truing stand is supposed to self
center but has a load of tolerance (slop or skew or something) and
doesn't really. It's still great for truing, but I wonder about dish
on rear wheel sometimes (symmetrical front s/b close if spoke tension
is even side-to-side).