Pittsburgh hills

Old November 28th 12, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Pittsburgh hills

On Nov 27, 4:29 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 11/27/2012 03:36 AM, Tom $herman (-_-) wrote:

On 11/26/2012 8:39 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]
nate

Off-topic, but the descriptive term "Nate-Nagelism" has been tossed
around by a few of your old "friends" on RAD in the past week.

Hmm, let me guess, someone with a nym alluding to a satellite-based
system? Don't actually care enough to take him out of my killfile, but
it's reassuring to know that I've still got fans out there

"I bet if I still lived there I'd be in better shape than I am now :/"

"To answer your question, I'm running a 26/36/48 (I think; I'm
actually 5
hours away from my bike at the moment... "

Let me guess, 5 hours by car, right?

I'll bet you'd be in a lot better shape wherever you lived if you just
rode your bike more instead of regarding it one of your toys.

(Sorry, I don't mean to be mean.)

Old November 30th 12, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 11/27/2012 09:45 PM, Dan O wrote:
[...]

Some things never change... you do realize that it's not quite
practical to bike from DC to the PA/OH border right? And I was posting
over a holiday...?

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old December 1st 12, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Nov 30, 3:19 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

No, I don't.

And I was posting
over a holiday...?

All the more reason (?)

BTW, the "Nate-Nagelism" that most sticks in my mind ("crotch fruit"
notwithstanding) is:

"I don't need to be more patient, cyclists need to obey the ****ing
law. Period, end of story."
Old December 1st 12, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

"I don't need to be more patient, cyclists need to obey the ****ing

law. Period, end of story."

zzzzzzcccccccccckkkk

depends on where yuo geo-are. clearly, in TGNW riding as far right as possible may prevent your death
Old December 1st 12, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 1, 5:22 am, datakoll wrote:
"I don't need to be more patient, cyclists need to obey the ****ing

law. Period, end of story."

zzzzzzcccccccccckkkk

depends on where yuo geo-are. clearly, in TGNW riding as far right as possible may prevent your death

.... or cause it; "depends" is right.
Old December 1st 12, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 11/30/2012 08:37 PM, Dan O wrote:
[...]

I still maintain that at least in my experience, the average road-riding
cyclist is an asshole with an inflated sense of entitlement, who makes
the average (American, **** poor) motorist look positively competent and
law-abiding. "Share the road" turns into "**** you, it's my road" in
the mind of the cyclist, who apparently has no responsibility whatsoever
to look out for other traffic or obey pesky suggestions like red lights
or stop signs. Then there's the apparently DUI cyclists who ride
everywhere on "vintage" MTBs the wrong way with no lights well after
dark, etc. Those are the 90% of cyclists who make the rest of us look bad.

I am not aiming that at anyone on this newsgroup, but at the people that
I see riding on the roads every day.

nate

Old December 1st 12, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 1, 8:51 am, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Every time you "open your mouth", you make the point for me.

I have to hand it to you; you're genuine.
Old December 1st 12, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 11:51:26 AM UTC-5, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I agree, the average standard of behavior for cyclists is far worse than for motorists. Even the most fundamental ideas, like "Which side of the road should I ride on?" or "Should I stop for red lights?" or "Do I need a headlight at night?" or "Should I be on the road if I'm drunk?" get arguments from people on bikes.

Or they get shoveled into the trashcan marked "It depends."

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 2nd 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 1, 11:42 am, wrote:
[...]

Got data? (I only ask 'cause you use the word "average", and "far",
and don't qualify it as your opinion or subjective impression. Shoot,
Nate even specifies a percentage.)

Tell you what - how about data on number of people (and other animals)
violently killed by the negligence (and maleficence) of motorists and
of bicyclists.

Even the most fundamental ideas, like "Which side of the road should I ride on?" or "Should I stop for red lights?" or "Do I need a headlight at night?" or "Should I be on the road if I'm drunk?" get arguments from people on bikes.

Or they get shoveled into the trashcan marked "It depends."

"It depends" is the antithesis of simple-minded dogma; and yes, while
there are strong general rules, the answer to each and every one of
those questions depends on unspecified circumstances.
Old December 2nd 12, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Cooper

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:25:19 AM UTC-5, Tom $herman (-_-) wrote:

I would swap out cogs in my mid-drive jack-shaft for a low of around 8

gear-inches on a trike, and spin my way up (since obviously there are no

low-speed balance issues.

I’ve climbed some steep ones in the Finger Lakes of New York.

After I gear down to a certain point, the problem is keeping my balance.

So a trike is the way to go for those without the heart-lungs-quads.

Bob “Where Did My Youth Go” Cooper

Pittsburgh hills [email protected] General 4 January 25th 13 06:06 PM
Denver to Pittsburgh ffej Rides 0 May 4th 11 09:07 PM
Any unicyclists in the Pittsburgh Area? inbethelpark Unicycling 0 October 23rd 07 08:50 PM
Muni in Pittsburgh tom777 Unicycling 1 June 13th 06 06:55 AM
Pittsburgh to DC? Brian E. Clark Rides 1 June 17th 04 06:27 PM