Folding Bicycles in London

Old November 11th 03, 02:25 PM
Alan

Default Folding Bicycles in London

I'm about to move to a new flat just a couple of miles from my office
in London. The bus or train journey into the office is pretty short
(15 mins door to door) but I was considering buying one of those funny
folding bikes and cycling in instead.

However I've never ridden one before and I don't know the first thing
about them - good/bad models, what features to look for, what price to
pay, new/secondhand, where to buy one, maintenance, etc.

Also I'm a big bloke - 6'2" tall and about 16 stone, so I don't want
something that's going to buckle as soon as I sit on it!

Grateful for any advice, thanks.

Alan.
Old November 11th 03, 02:57 PM
Peter Clinch

Alan wrote:
I'm about to move to a new flat just a couple of miles from my office
in London. The bus or train journey into the office is pretty short
(15 mins door to door) but I was considering buying one of those funny
folding bikes and cycling in instead.
=20
However I've never ridden one before and I don't know the first thing
about them - good/bad models, what features to look for, what price to
pay, new/secondhand, where to buy one, maintenance, etc.

Second hand, like all bikes, can reveal great bargains but it has to be=20
the right one, and unfortunately for you as a buyer good folders hold=20
their value quite well, when you can even find them :-(

The worthwhile (IMHO) stuff starts at about =A3200 with the basic Dahon=20
models. These don't fold *especially* small so aren't that great for=20
taking on a Tube in a crowd or the like, but fold small enough to go in=20
a car boot, under-stairs cupboard or the like. All Dahons have a simple =

fold in the middle setup, and more money buys you a nicer bike rather=20
than a better fold. The D6 Speed at =A3230 looks like very good value in=
=20
a soundly designed basic folder to me.

You can easily spend more than that! Often proclaimed the King of the=20
Folders is the Brompton, which will fold quicker and more compactly than =

just about anything else on the market, but still rides well as long as=20
you're not a stand on the pedals and haul on the bars sort of rider. I=20
have the L3 model (=A3460) which is a very good buy IMHO. There's a C3=20
model for quite a bit less with the same frame and fold, but inferior=20
components and genuinely useful stuff like the mudguards removed. If=20
you must have a Brom and don't have the money and can't find second hand =

it's okay, but I personally think a false economy if you can afford an=20
L. The T model has dynamo lights and a rear rack as standard, both=20
handy things. I personally think the standard setup is a little=20
over-geared, but you can spend an extra =A38.50 for reduced gearing. If =

you go along to Bikefix in Bloomsbury (www.bikefix.co.uk) they have=20
several on a shelf by the door and I'd think would be happy for you to=20
try one out and discuss the options. The Brom isn't a high perfomance=20
machine, but you'd be pushed to find a more convenient bike anywhere on=20
the planet.

Spending more still you have the likes of the Birdy (also available from =

Bikefix) which will outperfom many conventional bikes thanks to full=20
suspension designed for the road and a good stiff frame combined with=20
excellent components. But that will cost you, and expect to pay about=20
=A3800 for the "cheap and nasty" model. As you can probably tell, we're =

getting a bit exotic here... For your next stop I'd drop in at a shop=20
like Bikefix that lets you try stuff out and knows about the options and =

see what you think "in the flesh".

Also I'm a big bloke - 6'2" tall and about 16 stone, so I don't want
something that's going to buckle as soon as I sit on it!

The 3 brands mentioned above are properly built bits of kit that can=20
stand most normal loads. Don't know about the Dahon but the Brom=20
certainly has extra-long seat posts as a standard option so a case of=20
sucking it and see, but you shouldn't need to worry about them dying=20
under you in routine use.

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Old November 11th 03, 04:45 PM
Tony Raven

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk

FWIW I am taller than you and the same weight. I ride a Brompton in London.
It folds so much better than anything else so you can take it on the
train/tube/bus/taxi if you need to without much hassle. Great for dealing
with that puncture on a wet rainy night.

Tony

Old November 11th 03, 05:05 PM
Tim Downie

Peter Clinch wrote:
Alan wrote:

Also I'm a big bloke - 6'2" tall and about 16 stone, so I don't want
something that's going to buckle as soon as I sit on it!

The 3 brands mentioned above are properly built bits of kit that can
stand most normal loads. Don't know about the Dahon but the Brom
certainly has extra-long seat posts as a standard option so a case of
sucking it and see, but you shouldn't need to worry about them dying
under you in routine use.

I would think that the extended seat post is a must on the Brom if you're
6'2". I'm only 5'8" and have the seat post right up and then the saddle
bolted as high as it will go on the standard seat post. Keep it well
lubricated and the tyres hard and it's a great little bike.

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Old November 11th 03, 05:19 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

Get a Brompton with an extra-long seatpost. Hide it under your desk at work.

If it doesn't suit, sell it.

They hold their 2nd hand value well.

Go for it & don't faff.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 11th 03, 10:09 PM
congokid

In article , Alan
writes
I'm about to move to a new flat just a couple of miles from my office
in London. The bus or train journey into the office is pretty short
(15 mins door to door) but I was considering buying one of those funny
folding bikes and cycling in instead.

However I've never ridden one before and I don't know the first thing
about them - good/bad models, what features to look for, what price to
pay, new/secondhand, where to buy one, maintenance, etc.

Also I'm a big bloke - 6'2" tall and about 16 stone, so I don't want
something that's going to buckle as soon as I sit on it!

I cycle about 4.5 miles to work every day in central London on my
Brompton. I'm nowhere as big and heavy as you but the Brommie is a very
sturdy bike. Having said that, the folding pedal on mine broke a couple
of months back when the metal sheared through.

I bought my T5 new over two years ago but have searched out and found
other models for less second hand though they've tended to get snapped
up fast especially since congestion charging came into being.

Your journey of just a couple of miles will be a doddle. You should be
able to do it in under 15 mins, traffic permitting.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old November 12th 03, 12:11 AM
David Hansen

On 11 Nov 2003 06:25:19 -0800 someone who may be
(Alan) wrote this:-

Grateful for any advice, thanks.

Start off with A to B magazine.
http://www.atob.org.uk

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old November 12th 03, 07:41 AM
Ric

First why do you need a folder?

Assuming you definitely do need one, I would recommend a Brompton. I have
one, and consider it one of the best purchases in my life. It is a lovely
bike to ride, and folds so small and neatly.

They hold their value really well, so if you decide you've made a mistake
(which I bet you won't) you will be able to sell it with hardly any loss.
Some of the other folders will be harder to get rid of.

I am taller than you, not quite so heavy, and the Brompton takes my weight
easily. You will probably need the extended seat post as the saddle height
will be too low for you on the standard bike.

If you decide to get one, repost here and you will get good advice about
other options to take.

The nice thing about folding bikes is you meet a lot of people with them -
not just other folder-owners but also curious and fascinated people. Of
other folders, I've met quite a few who wish they had bought a Brompton
instead, but I have never yet met one person who is disatisfied with their
Brompton.

Old November 17th 03, 01:22 PM
Phil Manning

I have a Brompton which is not used very much these days but I will
not part with it because it is brill and it is there for emergencies
should all other transport options fail, and it fit's in the Smart Car
a doddle.

Phil.
Old November 17th 03, 01:56 PM
Michael MacClancy

"Phil Manning" wrote in message
om...
I have a Brompton which is not used very much these days but I will
not part with it because it is brill and it is there for emergencies
should all other transport options fail, and it fit's in the Smart Car
a doddle.

In case no one else feels up to it I'll do the cruel and dirty work. ;-)

If you were as smart as your car you'd know this.

It's 'fits' not 'fit's'.

......ducks under desk.

(No. I'm ducking under the desk. There aren't any ducks under the desk.
Although I might be going quackers.)
___
Michael MacClancy