Cycling Fixed Penalty Notices

Old December 3rd 04, 11:08 PM
JohnB

Default Cycling Fixed Penalty Notices

I've just seen our County's new ACSO's (Accredited Community Safety
Officers) on patrol - four of them in bright yellow coats. We are
apparently in the first County to have them and also in one of only four
Boroughs where they are being presently used.
The plan is to have them throughout the County next year.
Their main remit is anti-social behaviour which is a massively growing
problem - (my ribs still give pain from the assault in September). in
this I am very supportive of their role.

Another function is to issue FPN for various offences which include
cycling on pavements.

Now this is where questions are raised. AIUI FPNs issued by the police
are presently £30 with payment being required within 28 days.
Well, these ASCOs can issue FPNs at £50 which have to be paid to the
Local Authority within just 14 days before you become liable for prosecution.

My big question is why the difference?
Get caught by the police and its £20 cheaper and two more weeks to pay.
Why can the local authority impose more than that set by an Act of Parliament?

Whilst I am completely opposed to all pavement cycling, something's not
quite right here.

John B
Old December 4th 04, 02:23 PM
Richard Goodman

"JohnB" wrote in message
I've just seen our County's new ACSO's (Accredited Community Safety
Officers) on patrol - four of them in bright yellow coats.

Another function is to issue FPN for various offences which include
cycling on pavements.

Now this is where questions are raised. AIUI FPNs issued by the police
are presently £30 with payment being required within 28 days.
Well, these ASCOs can issue FPNs at £50 which have to be paid to the
Local Authority within just 14 days before you become liable for
prosecution.

My big question is why the difference?
Get caught by the police and its £20 cheaper and two more weeks to pay.
Why can the local authority impose more than that set by an Act of
Parliament?

Presumably because there's a new Act of Parliament prescribing the powers of
ASCOs and the levels of fines that may be imposed? ISTR the same thing
happened when parking enforcement was devolved to local authorities - the
fines went up.

Whilst I am completely opposed to all pavement cycling, something's not
quite right here.

Ah well, it won't be the only area of law of which that could be said....

Rich

Old December 4th 04, 04:45 PM
Sniper8052(L96A1)

Richard Goodman wrote:
"JohnB" wrote in message

I've just seen our County's new ACSO's (Accredited Community Safety
Officers) on patrol - four of them in bright yellow coats.

..

[...]

Moving traffic offence (Police) £30.00
Stationary traffic offence (Police) £40.00

Never got the logic behind that one either

Sniper8052
Old December 4th 04, 05:34 PM
Tony Raven

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:

Moving traffic offence (Police) £30.00
Stationary traffic offence (Police) £40.00

Never got the logic behind that one either

You have to compensate the police for denying them the fun of a high
speed chase.

Tony ;-)
Old December 4th 04, 07:06 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:

Moving traffic offence (Police) £30.00
Stationary traffic offence (Police) £40.00

Never got the logic behind that one either

IIRC you get the same number of penalty points for leaving your rear fog
light on and doing a U-turn on a motorway.
Old December 4th 04, 08:55 PM
Howard

The way things are going in this country you will soon get a heavier
fine for drinking from a can of beer in public or dropping a cigarette
end than quite wilfully risking killing someone by doing 39 Mph in a
30 zone...
Old December 4th 04, 10:15 PM
Ian Smith

On 4 Dec 2004 11:55:08 -0800, Howard wrote:

The way things are going in this country you will soon get a heavier
fine for drinking from a can of beer in public or dropping a cigarette
end than quite wilfully risking killing someone by doing 39 Mph in a
30 zone...

You already get more for failing to buy a TV licence than for actually
killing someone by doing 39mph in a 30mph zone.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old December 5th 04, 03:37 AM
Daniel Barlow

Ian Smith writes:

On 4 Dec 2004 11:55:08 -0800, Howard wrote:

The way things are going in this country you will soon get a heavier
fine for drinking from a can of beer in public or dropping a cigarette
end than quite wilfully risking killing someone by doing 39 Mph in a
30 zone...

You already get more for failing to buy a TV licence than for actually
killing someone by doing 39mph in a 30mph zone.

Despite what you'd think from all the "big brother is watching you"
adverts, I believe that the average fine for owning TV without a
licence is actually nearer £150 than £1000.

Granted that's still more than forty quid, though.

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"
Old December 6th 04, 09:32 PM
Tim Woodall

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 02:37:10 +0000,
Daniel Barlow wrote:

Despite what you'd think from all the "big brother is watching you"
adverts, I believe that the average fine for owning TV without a
licence is actually nearer £150 than £1000.

Except that owning a TV isn't an offence. It's installing and using to
receive television transmissions that is the offence. It isn't a TV
licensing offence to watch videos recorded by your neighbour but it might
be a copyright offence.

Tim. (who has never owned a TV and hence has been regularly hassled for
not owning a TV licence)
Old December 6th 04, 10:22 PM
Ian Smith

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Tim Woodall wrote:

Tim. (who has never owned a TV and hence has been regularly hassled for
not owning a TV licence)

I favour phoning them up and swearing at them. Of course, that was
less effective when teh imbeciles couldn't even manage to get their
own phone number at the top of the letter right.

I get no different consequence when I just bin teh letters as when I
fill them in and send them back, so whether I do or not depends on how
creative I'm feeling. I quite like the 'complete the sentence' ones
they have:

I don't have a TV licence because...

I don't need one.

I did a cost-benefit analysis and decided not to buy one.

for teh same reason I don't have a lion-tamer licence. (I like this,
but you have to cross out teh 'because' for it to actually be
coherent).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig