NO, WE ARE OVER HERE

Old April 21st 14, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default NO, WE ARE OVER HERE

On 4/20/2014 6:43 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, April 14, 2014 1:37:37 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, April 14, 2014 12:35:13 PM UTC-7, Duane wrote:

On 4/14/2014 3:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:

On Monday, April 14, 2014 6:11:51 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:

On 4/14/2014 9:00 AM, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:

On Saturday, April 5, 2014 1:49:56 PM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:

On Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:16:36 PM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:51:40 PM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:

http://www.bloomberg.com/slideshow/2...ja.html#slide1

ZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZ

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...estimates.html

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

IS graphene in your belts ?

http://www.informationweek.com/mobil...d/d-id/1174140

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

we track the relationship tween animal behavior and earthquake phenomena....living mostly across the Gulf from Mex volcanos. We can smell and see the dust. Then weather changes, colder temps, from sunlight reflecting off that dust blown into higher altitudes.

The air flow from here to England was direct this winter...Gulf Stream going that way but usually weather centers turn left to the pole not to a direct hit on the Isles. Rain rain rain.....But meteorology said volcanic dust was not a factor.

2 weeks ago another eruption with dust more or less heading around Florida then up the coast into 2 vast gyres of wind, one around the pole n one splitting off into Canada then going back up past Greenland to rejoin the pole vortex.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1#.U0vZw5VOXF8

Its called Volcanic Winter.

Whatever it's called, this is one of the lousiest springs for cycling in

recent memory. We have torrential rains predicted today with a high of

23c. Wednesday we have a high of 3c with a low of -10c. With all the

ice and snow melt from today it's going to be a skating rink on

Wednesday. Not to mention the rivers that are near flood stages from

the late snow.

Sunny in PDX -- at least this weekend. Throttled myself riding around the West Hills on Saturday and doing endless yard work, then my brother rolled in to town and wanted to go for a ride. He's this old dude mountain bike champ now 62 years old who rides like a sled dog . . . mush, mush. I like to motor away on long climbs, but I was baked on Sunday and just rode along side, which was hard enough for my tired legs. Mushed out the Gorge Highway and up Larch Mountain Road -- that same old 14.5 mile climb I've written about befo http://tinyurl.com/muafs5e The gate was still closed, but there was no snow until about 300 meters from the top, so we were car-free for about five miles of climbing. You can see a bunch of volcanoes from the top -- when you can get to the top: http://tinyurl.com/oxdtwh9

It was f'n cold at the top, and I was freezing on the way down, even in a jacket. It warmed up at the bottom, and I took off my jacket at the Women's Forum (view from): http://tinyurl.com/kfl2oxa I still get a thrill out of being on the Gorge, even after all these years -- and even with all the cars, bikes and wind on the first few sunny days of the year.

-- Jay Beattie.

Wow. Nice looking place to ride.

Reminds me of http://tinyurl.com/nr8tsbu

It's not jaw-dropping like the North Cascades or Rockies or the Sierra, but the Gorge is pretty -- and its near town (after a crappy ride through east county), and it's very atmospheric. I like to ride along the Washington side http://tinyurl.com/oymdsw4, go past Bonneville Dam http://tinyurl.com/ooypfnc

and then come back past the falls on the Oregon side: http://tinyurl.com/q5aa9wx

Oregon doesn't have the drama of Yosemite or the Grand Canyon. We have mountains and beaches, but compared to California, they're like road-side attractions. Oregon has small wonders. The state is like a box of bon-bons -- with half the box empty. http://tinyurl.com/l3ywd2k

Another Gorge ride today. Blue skies and a little chilly in the morning, but somewhat warmer (high 60s) by noon. Rode past all the falls out towards Cascade Locks. http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outpo...a-river-gorge/ Nice spray off Horsetail.

My buddy and I took the new bike trail that links together old portions of the Gorge highway and keeps you off the interstate. It was awesome -- this odd ride in to the past on Model-T sized road with the old parapets and mossy stack rock walls. It was like the land that time forgot. http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/s...y-state-trail/ (new)

You're riding around on a mountain side with the interstate below.
http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...gtvwGqFQ/l.jpg
It really made me smile.

So, does that completely eliminate riding the freeway? I remember doing
many miles on that freeway, into fierce headwinds. It was noisy and
ugly, but there was no alternative - well, except for the Washington
side, but I had no hint that it would be better.

We were really glad to get off the freeway and onto the old gorge
highway. Even though, as I recall, we had to carry our fully-loaded
bikes up three flights of concrete stairs to reach it.

Back past the falls and up the climb to Vista House.
http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...LjIyIpjw/l.jpg

Screw the cyclometer. It was ten trillion miles!

Ah, but the view!

Coming in from the east, the climb to Vista House looked fearsome, with
the road visibly winding up through switchback after switchback. But we
down-down-downshifted and took it slow, and it wasn't bad. It all
depends on your pace, I think.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 21st 14, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

where is safe parking ?

Old April 21st 14, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, April 20, 2014 7:32:17 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Yes, no more freeway riding between Warrendale and Cascade Locks. East of Cascade Locks, I think there there are some sections still missing near Hood River -- but otherwise, you can go out past The Dalles. http://www.columbiariverhighway.com/...e_bike_map.pdf

Rowena Crest and the tunnels out here are popular spots. http://columbiariverimages.com/Image...crest_2005.jpg

The new trail is a mix of the old highway and new construction and an old bike trail they've had near Cascade Locks for probably ten years. It's a lot slower than the highway but way more atmospheric.

We were really glad to get off the freeway and onto the old gorge

highway. Even though, as I recall, we had to carry our fully-loaded

bikes up three flights of concrete stairs to reach it.

Back past the falls and up the climb to Vista House.

http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...LjIyIpjw/l.jpg

Screw the cyclometer. It was ten trillion miles!

Ah, but the view!

Coming in from the east, the climb to Vista House looked fearsome, with

the road visibly winding up through switchback after switchback. But we

down-down-downshifted and took it slow, and it wasn't bad. It all

depends on your pace, I think.

At the end of a hard day, the climb to Vista House is tiring, but in real terms, its not very bad -- probably less than a thousand feet of climbing.

By the way, the Washington side (Highway 14) going east from Portland is really beautiful past Camas -- good shoulder, great views down the Gorge. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/43279110

Oddly enough, though, the shoulder on the other side -- going west -- sucks.. It's like a one-way highway for cyclists. I cross over and come back on the Oregon side past the falls. Yesterday was great riding in the morning, but by afternoon, the Easter car-crowd had shown up, and the old highway was miserable between Multnomah Falls and Crown Point. I always wonder why people who want to go fast take the scenic highway rather than getting out on to HWY 84.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 21st 14, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, April 21, 2014 7:32:11 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

By the way, the linked .pdf map is old, and the new section between Warrendale and Cascade Locks is not shown. That was opened last year. This map shows the new section -- and the gap out to Hood River. http://www.portlandoregon.gov/shared....cfm?id=322056
Old April 21st 14, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

I'll check on riding 9 on the Hudson....

The Gorge is sooooo greeeeen but noisey. Parking my rig in front of the Ranger's is necessary.

Grand Coulee is AAA. Take 174 down to 2 then back to the Rivah

REI came up with a guide during the last buy trip....from THE MOUNTAINEERS pub ISBN 0-89886-413-5....

a surprise as from the Diablow side, I had not bike response outside the tracks to Concrete, again - noisy with exception of Cape Horn thereabouts and west a bit.

but the guide to NORTH CASCADES lays it out.

tho if I could get my back up I'd try the Backpuckers' copper mine route for a few days.

Haven't gone thru the book yet....anything out of the Loomis area ? Is there a website for these areas ?

Old April 21st 14, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/21/2014 12:58 PM, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
I'll check on riding 9 on the Hudson....

The Gorge is sooooo greeeeen but noisey. Parking my rig in front of the Ranger's is necessary.

Grand Coulee is AAA. Take 174 down to 2 then back to the Rivah

REI came up with a guide during the last buy trip....from THE MOUNTAINEERS pub ISBN 0-89886-413-5....

a surprise as from the Diablow side, I had not bike response outside the tracks to Concrete, again - noisy with exception of Cape Horn thereabouts and west a bit.

but the guide to NORTH CASCADES lays it out.

tho if I could get my back up I'd try the Backpuckers' copper mine route for a few days.

Haven't gone thru the book yet....anything out of the Loomis area ? Is there a website for these areas ?

Sure. Camping in Loomis:
http://www.passport-america.com/Camp...pgroundId=3274

It's over by Peshtigo dere hey.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 21st 14, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, April 21, 2014 10:58:34 AM UTC-7, x wrote:
I'll check on riding 9 on the Hudson....

The Gorge is sooooo greeeeen but noisey. Parking my rig in front of the Ranger's is necessary.

Grand Coulee is AAA. Take 174 down to 2 then back to the Rivah

REI came up with a guide during the last buy trip....from THE MOUNTAINEERS pub ISBN 0-89886-413-5....

a surprise as from the Diablow side, I had not bike response outside the tracks to Concrete, again - noisy with exception of Cape Horn thereabouts and west a bit.

but the guide to NORTH CASCADES lays it out.

tho if I could get my back up I'd try the Backpuckers' copper mine route for a few days.

Haven't gone thru the book yet....anything out of the Loomis area ? Is there a website for these areas ?

It's only noisy some times: http://tinyurl.com/kvo7egz
http://tinyurl.com/mwxuhk9

The UP will run this past the Falls now and then. http://tinyurl.com/lf9gwne

Cape Horn is up on the hillside -- although you can still see the BNSF trains. http://tinyurl.com/l6mokgl http://tinyurl.com/lj9w845

The road is cut in to those rocks. http://tinyurl.com/k593tt3 I tend to take the lane. Noise is usually traffic -- light traffic from the west, and it's downhill and not dramatic, but I did like the shot of that giant truck.

Sorry about all the train shots. I'm channeling Jobst.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 21st 14, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Monday, April 21, 2014 4:20:24 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

gee whiz ? I missed it in memory...where izzit in Google maps ?

I wuz running GooEarth to see shinannangins Apple is up to in Prineville..

so here's Cape Horn B,

Cape is below C in Challenger

box in bar upper right tranfers GooErt into GooMap with upper right box therein. before.

The other Cape Horn we groove with is over the hill from Ferndale Ca.

NOISY. DIVINITY DELETED.

The north side is blessed if a bit tacky in boozeville gotta watch for peds leaping or falling into the right of way.

Old April 22nd 14, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

oops Capetown not Cape Horn.....Cape Horn is above Placerville

Old April 22nd 14, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Monday, April 21, 2014 7:00:02 PM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
oops Capetown not Cape Horn.....Cape Horn is above Placerville

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Haven't seen a bicycle out here. Rough ride, 3-4 ridges, Pro Rally Commuters. California Ethereal.

The ridge below has a terrific updraft. The hill, Cape Mendocino is the last land/sea position of the west coast earthquake faults and a harrier refuge.

Harriers float over the fields looking for rodents often almost directly overhead.

http://goo.gl/3L7kHS

I may remember Brandt saying he wuz out here in ??? long time.