26" touring tire recommendation

Old April 26th 14, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Default 26" touring tire recommendation

Ralph Barone wrote:
It's about time to replace the 26 x 38/32 WTB Slickasaurus tires on my
Surly LHT and I'm looking for recommendations. The bike is used mostly
for commuting, with some credit card touring thrown in during the
summer. Most riding is on pavement, but I do ride a bit of gravel
roads/trails. I'm currently considering the Schwalbe Marathon family of
tires, as well as the Schwalbe Big Apples, the Tioga City Slicker and
the Slickasaurus. I don't really want to give up any rolling
resistance, but I wouldn't mind more puncture protection. I can
probably go up to a 26 x 2 before clearance becomes an issue. Any
recommendations (especially on differentiating the 9 different subtypes
of Schwalbe Marathons)?

I went with the Marathon Plus in a 26 x 1.75. Contrary to popular lore, I
was able to mount them by hand, without using tire irons.
Old April 26th 14, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

front and rear the same tire ?

http://www.marvinbaumann.com/images/marv_v8n_9.jpg

another op for technical excellence fown the ole
Old April 26th 14, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 21, 2014 6:16:16 PM UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
It's about time to replace the 26 x 38/32 WTB Slickasaurus tires on my
Surly LHT and I'm looking for recommendations. The bike is used mostly
for commuting, with some credit card touring thrown in during the
summer. Most riding is on pavement, but I do ride a bit of gravel
roads/trails. I'm currently considering the Schwalbe Marathon family of
tires, as well as the Schwalbe Big Apples, the Tioga City Slicker and
the Slickasaurus. I don't really want to give up any rolling
resistance, but I wouldn't mind more puncture protection. I can
probably go up to a 26 x 2 before clearance becomes an issue. Any
recommendations (especially on differentiating the 9 different subtypes
of Schwalbe Marathons)?

I like the Ritchey Tom Slick 26x1.4. I've flogged it off-road if necessary. Puncture resistance seems okay, although I might get a flat a couple of times a year.
http://www.mec.ca/product/4011-357/r...1.4-wire-tire/