loose chain guard with defect plastic bar to hold it

Old May 21st 16, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default loose chain guard with defect plastic bar to hold it

On 5/20/2016 11:00 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. writes:

Also the typical person doesn't wear wellies
and doesn't want to be bothered putting the
sock in and out each time.

No one uses a "bicycle Clip" :-)

Most people don't wear *helmets*!

And this is because men think they are "yet are
another thing to keep track of" and women think
that as well but they might have aesthetic
concerns as well...

Here, people just use bikes, they are not into
them, and couldn't care less for extra gear and
equipment... In a way that is perhaps a healthy
attitude as they have other things on their
minds, but I'd definitely recommend the use of
a helmet just like people should use one when
they play ice hockey (not the same helmet of
course).

It seems very strange to pretend that riding a bike is like playing ice
hockey.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 21st 16, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Frank Krygowski
writes:

Most people don't wear *helmets*! And this
is because men think they are "yet are
another thing to keep track of" and women
think that as well but they might have
aesthetic concerns as well... Here, people
just use bikes, they are not into them, and
couldn't care less for extra gear and
equipment... In a way that is perhaps
a healthy attitude as they have other things
on their minds, but I'd definitely recommend
the use of a helmet just like people should
use one when they play ice hockey (not the
same helmet of course).

It seems very strange to pretend that riding
a bike is like playing ice hockey.

It is even more strange that when playing ice
hockey it is all but unacceptable to not wear
a helmet even on the hobby level without body
contact (almost), but with bikes you can ride
thru the city like a phantom at night and not
wearing a helmet will not strike anyone as
strange...

- so far: 37 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 21st 16, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 21 May 2016 04:51:12 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

I also suppose the chain lube disappears
more quickly without it, especially if rain,
tho I don't think this is anything the
typical person considers...

I'm not sure what sort of chain guard you are
talking about but the ones I am envisioning
are a sort of inverted "L" with the short arm
sticking down in the front and these aren't
going to give much, if any, protection to the
chain to keep it from getting dirty.

Here is a photo of a typical standard bike.
I don't like dynamos, and the rear wheel lacks
a reflex, other than that it looks pretty good
including the chain guard.

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photos/standard.jpg

I'm not sure whether that qualifies as a "standard bike" as I'd guess
that if you visited every bicycle shop in Bangkok you wouldn't find a
twin of that bike. :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 21st 16, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 21 May 2016 05:00:27 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

Also the typical person doesn't wear wellies
and doesn't want to be bothered putting the
sock in and out each time.

No one uses a "bicycle Clip" :-)

Most people don't wear *helmets*!

And this is because men think they are "yet are
another thing to keep track of" and women think
that as well but they might have aesthetic
concerns as well...

Here, people just use bikes, they are not into
them, and couldn't care less for extra gear and
equipment... In a way that is perhaps a healthy
attitude as they have other things on their
minds, but I'd definitely recommend the use of
a helmet just like people should use one when
they play ice hockey (not the same helmet of
course).

I'm not sure about the ice hockey but I certainly see folks riding to
the market for the day's food without all that fancy bicycle stuff.
But of course if it is raining they do use an umbrella.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 21st 16, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

I'm not sure about the ice hockey but
I certainly see folks riding to the market
for the day's food without all that fancy
bicycle stuff.

Riding a bike on streets with cars and busses
(which is an everyday thing here) is much more
dangerous than playing ice hockey on the
hobby level.

But there is no need to compare the level of
danger because I think you should have a helmet
doing either.

Also consider people often ride bikes
when drunk!

White reflex front, red back, and yellow to the
sides, on the rims (the spokes); hand brake if
the bike has two or more gears; a helmet;
decent bike care; basic knowledge of traffic
rules; winter tires during the winter; red
light back and white front when dark, lights
that aren't put on blink mode - that should
be enough.

There is also a law all bikes should have
a bell but I don't see this contributing to
safety really. But why not.

- so far: 37 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 21st 16, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

I'm not sure whether that qualifies as
a "standard bike" as I'd guess that if you
visited every bicycle shop in Bangkok you
wouldn't find a twin of that bike. :-)

"Standardcykel" is everything more basic than
a racer, I think. Often with the Torpedo hub,
1, 3, or 5 gears.

He

https://www.google.se/search?tbm=isc...=standardcykel

- so far: 37 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 21st 16, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/21/2016 3:10 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski
writes:

It seems very strange to pretend that riding
a bike is like playing ice hockey.

It is even more strange that when playing ice
hockey it is all but unacceptable to not wear
a helmet even on the hobby level without body
contact (almost), but with bikes you can ride
thru the city like a phantom at night and not
wearing a helmet will not strike anyone as
strange...

Not wearing a helmet doesn't seem strange because people know there is
very, very little risk of seriously impacting one's head while riding a
bike. They see a simple bike ride as much different than sporting
combat, swinging big sticks while trying to stay upright on a sheet of ice.

In fact, the idea that a normal bike ride imposes a great risk of
serious brain injury is itself strange. That idea appeared only when
companies started marketing special plastic hats for bike riders.

The idea is not supported by historical evidence. It's not supported by
modern data either. That belief is a purposely crafted myth. And so is
the myth that the flimsy hats make a tremendous difference.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 21st 16, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/21/2016 9:36 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. writes:

I'm not sure about the ice hockey but
I certainly see folks riding to the market
for the day's food without all that fancy
bicycle stuff.

Riding a bike on streets with cars and busses
(which is an everyday thing here) is much more
dangerous than playing ice hockey on the
hobby level.

Got data?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 21st 16, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Frank Krygowski
writes:

I'm not sure about the ice hockey but
I certainly see folks riding to the market
for the day's food without all that fancy
bicycle stuff.

Riding a bike on streets with cars and
busses (which is an everyday thing here) is
much more dangerous than playing ice hockey
on the hobby level.

I have crashed seven times what I can remember,
not including many times as kid that I don't
remember specifically.

I only hit my head one of those times, but then
I'm confident the helmet helped me as there
were marks on it.

I have seen dozens of crashes. Those have
mostly been drunk students when they try to get
off or on their bikes, or having another person
on the luggage carrier.

My mother once rammed her car into a kid
crossing the street on his bike. The kid seemed
to be alright (and he was), but she still
called his mother, terrified, telling the story
she hit her kid with a car. And his mother just
said good, this will teach him not to bike like
an idiot!

At work there is a guy who lost hearing on one
ear after a bike accident (I don't know the
details).

I'll look for stats and be back if I find any,
but I'm confident the way people do
recreational ice hockey once a week while sober
is much safer than riding a bike several times
a day in traffic, sometimes drunk, often
without winter tires in the winter, often
without lights when dark, often with poor bike
care, etc.

- so far: 37 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 21st 16, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 9:36:28 AM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. writes:

[...]

Most bicycle bells are useless as warning item especially on a bicycl with a drop bar. First of all the bell isn't heard over traffic noise or by drivers. Second the person who is being rung at needs to figure out where the sound is coming from. Third, by the time the bicyclist reaches and rings the bell they could have stopped, swerved around the object/person or yelled much louder than the bell rings.

Cheers

CHAIN GUARD TO GO kolldata Techniques 17 November 12th 11 01:26 PM
$2 chain guard catchs on datakoll Techniques 0 March 1st 08 12:46 AM
DIY CHAIN GUARD $2 PLUS [email protected] Techniques 1 May 13th 06 08:30 PM
DIY chain guard? [email protected] Techniques 8 August 11th 05 01:37 AM
DIY CHAIN GUARD $2 PLUS [email protected] Techniques 7 May 3rd 05 05:05 PM