combination spanners with different inclinations

Old January 18th 18, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default combination spanners with different inclinations

On 1/17/2018 9:38 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/17/2018 10:11 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Well, you could also make your own wrenches.
The technique would be similar to making your
own knife. Buy a bar of heat treatable steel
that's the correct thickness:
http://www.onlinemetals.com Trim to shape
with either a band saw or angle grinder.
Refine the shape with an angle grinder, belt
sander or hand file. Make a fancy wooden
handle in the same manner as a custom knife.
Harden and anneal the wrench. Clean up the
slag, oil the wooden handle, make YouTube
video, and you're done.

But with mechanical tools, I don't think
I could ever make a tool that is superior to
one which I can get cheaply from Crooks"R"Us.
And if it would be, the difference wouldn't be
one I would notice or one that would motivate
all the time spent on it.

It depends. I've certainly made tools. Not to duplicate
something I could buy at a store; instead, to get a tool
that wasn't available - or at least, not available in a
reasonable time.

I don't recall having to do this for working on a bicycle,
but I've done it several times for other projects. Example:
a car I once owned needed a repair to part of the
ventilation and air conditioning system. The manual said to
pull out the entire dashboard to access the bad part. But an
online discussion said a person with small hands could get
it out by pulling only the radio.

My hands are not small, but I was able to make a simple
miniature wrench that could reach the most inaccessible
screw. That saved me much trouble and expense.

Hmm: A bike-related example! It was very easy to make a
super-long screwdriver that allowed me to cannibalize the
head from an old Zefal pump.

Great minds think alike:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ZEFALV.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 18th 18, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/17/2018 9:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Emanuel Berg wrote:

:With programming, one can do a tool which for
:the specific purpose is superior to anything
:else in the world, be it commercial or free of
:charge. (Programming is of course a tool to do
:just that, but nevertheless.)

:But with mechanical tools, I don't think
:I could ever make a tool that is superior to
ne which I can get cheaply from Crooks"R"Us.
:And if it would be, the difference wouldn't be
ne I would notice or one that would motivate
:all the time spent on it.

You haven't spent much time in a workshop, then.
Shop made tools are nearly universal, to solve unique problems that
come up in that shop. I've made wrenches to fit stuff (out of bar
stock, mostly, but once for a plastic pipe cap, out of plywood), two
pin spanner wrenches, countless presses (including some to use on
bikes), and all sorts of piece holding fixures or templates. I've
modified wrenches (usually grinding them thinner).

+1
One may buy specialty wrenches, but this $35 thing is easily
duplicated with a 99c sale bin wrench and an acetylene torch:

http://www.classicchevy.com/assets/c...sku/49-132.jpg

Old January 18th 18, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

: Emanuel Berg wrote:
:
[...]

A similar tool, that didn't come out of the 99c bin:
https://imgur.com/8CvfsbA
quarter for scale.

--
sig 49
Old January 19th 18, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Fixed the trucks tilt wheel jammed release with silicones n a large screwdriver ... sundown ing at the Oasis along the way online finding steering wheel assembly n repair asks for obsolete tool twichery ...on utube

NAPA sells machined combo openings for ?
Old January 19th 18, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Emanuel Berg wrote:
avid Scheidt wrote:

: You haven't spent much time in
: a workshop, then.

:No, I have only lived in one for the last 2-3
:years...

: Shop made tools are nearly universal, to
: solve unique problems that come up in that
: shop. I've made wrenches to fit stuff (out of
: bar stock, mostly, but once for a plastic
: pipe cap, out of plywood), two pin spanner
: wrenches, countless presses (including some
: to use on bikes), and all sorts of piece
: holding fixures or templates.

:Well, wrenches, pin wrenches, and presses are
:sure available to buy and not expensive at all.

A pin wrench that fits the thing I'm taking apart is a trip to the
store (or a wait for UPS) away. If I can knock one out in five
minutes with a piece of scrap flat stock, a hacksaw, and a grinder,
I'm ahead, even if the tool were free. I've got a couple, including
an adjustable one, but sometimes you need something else.

The last little press I put
together was to replace the bearings in a small electric motor. It's
possilbe I could have found a commercial thing that worked, but a new
motor would have been cheaper. the press was two pieces of threaded
rod, two pieces of slotted bar stock, a bolt, a scrap piece of gas
pipe, a bunch of washers, and a few nuts. All of it was stuff around
the shop, all of it remains available for other uses.

--
sig 103
Old January 19th 18, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

David Scheidt wrote:

A pin wrench that fits the thing I'm taking
apart is a trip to the store (or a wait for
UPS) away. If I can knock one out in five
minutes with a piece of scrap flat stock,
a hacksaw, and a grinder, I'm ahead, even if
the tool were free. I've got a couple,
including an adjustable one, but sometimes
you need something else.

When I worked for a bricklayer here we used to
go to the hardware store almost every single
day because the tools ware always in disarray,
or abused, or missing. It took half the work
day, again almost every day.

At that point I decided that was never going to
happen to me so now I go to the HW store once
a month, and if there is something that "needs
to be done" and there is stuff missing,
I suppress that pressing need and do it the next
month instead.

IMO it is much better, more relaxed and also
more efficient, because instead of going back
and forth to get just the right stuff, which
then disappears and you have to do it all over
again, you focus not what cannot be done, but
what you can do with the equipment that you
know 100% where it is and in what state.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old January 19th 18, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Photo
Old January 19th 18, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/18/2018 10:12 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
David Scheidt wrote:

[...]

You have jobs you delay until you can get just the right tool, maybe in
a few weeks? Those aren't jobs. Those are dilettante hobbies.

You learned the wrong lesson from your bricklayer job. The proper lesson
was to organize your tools and keep them organized.

Two pertinent bits of advice from my father:
1) A place for everything and everything in its place.
2) Anybody can do a job slowly. Smart people can do a job quickly and well.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 19th 18, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

wrote:
:Photo

of what?

--
sig 49
Old January 19th 18, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

You have jobs you delay until you can get
just the right tool, maybe in a few weeks?
Those aren't jobs. Those are
dilettante hobbies.

Well, you can fire off whatever cabin fever
insults you like, I'm unaffected as I know the
every day value to hundreds of people of my
gardening, fire wood, carpentry, mechanics, and
home improvement "hobbies"...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

3 combination points Dan Connelly Racing 1 September 22nd 07 06:18 PM
another shimergo combination geos Techniques 9 April 11th 06 06:14 PM
Wrong spanners!, Gromet Pete Biggs UK 3 April 28th 05 09:52 AM
Bikehut cone spanners Zog The Undeniable UK 0 March 14th 05 08:07 PM
Raleigh headset spanners Toby Techniques 2 September 1st 04 05:59 AM