Spinergy Tilium Clincher wheels

Old April 8th 04, 06:24 AM
Gemma Kernich

Default Spinergy Tilium Clincher wheels

I posted this to rec.sport.triathlon, thought I might post it here too...

"Gemma Kernich" wrote in message news:...

"RLIrwin" wrote in message
Has anyone tried these - they seem to be a good value.

Short story:
Yes, I have, IMHO they are crap.

Long Story:
I got a pair of new clincher Krysiums Sl's from the shop, a few days later
the shop rang, bring them back in, try a pair of new Spinergy Tiliums
instead, if I didn't like them I could have the Krysiums back. I did the
swap, and rode out to the evening crit. By the time I had done the 9km on
smooth roads to the race the front wheel had developed a wobble (side to
side) and so I had to open up the brakes, by the end of a 40min crit the
back one had just as bad a wobble as well as a 'hop', with brakes rubbing.
On closer inspection the front hub had been machined with an eccentricity
(the flange had a 3mm wobble on one side) and the back had a couple of

bent
spokes (from shipping) - these were the s tainless steel spoke model (SS).

Went back to the shop, and they gave me another pair straight out of the
box. 20km later two spokes had come undone on the rear wheel, it was
getting badly out of true. Additionally, between the 2 sets of wheels

there
was a lot of difference on the freehub drag, one set would almost wind

your
legs backwards when coasting.... anyhow, went back to shop to have them
trued, the best wheel guy in there was complaining how hard they were to
true, was shaking his head and cursing. Took them for about 50kms more
riding, and as as they were going out of true again, I swapped them back

for
the Krysiums at the shop. Shop owner said he wasn't going to get any more
in.

Couldn't understand that someone could build the first front wheel up
without seeing the hub had an eccentricity in it! Must have been late on

friday after drinks, either that or their quality control is terrible all
the time. Either that, or they send all the rejects to Australia...

FWIW I'm 5'11", female, 80kgs and have ridden 32spokes conventional

wheels,
16 spoke shimano wheels, 16 spoke shamals, 24 spoke Zipps and have NEVER

had
any trouble with wheels before. These ones were almost unreal.

If you can stand constant truing and want a cheap carbon deep aero rim

then
they're for you. I couldn't afford to trade in the reliability issues.
Note you can't true the wheel without taking the tyre and tube off, and

you
need to carry the special tool. The best thing going for them was that

they
looked good, and the brake surface was pretty nice, well, it woull have

been
nice for braking if the brakes weren't waving from wide to side...

I note they're going cheap now here in Oz too, about A$1250 a pair,

compared
to A$1350 for Krysiums.

Cheers
Gemma

Old April 8th 04, 01:25 PM
Chris Dorn

I have a set of these and they have been great, I am a big guy at 6'2'"
tall and 230#'s. The trick is ti stress relieve them and retrue straight
out of the box. This has to be done or every set will do just what you said.
Chris

Old April 8th 04, 02:05 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Chris- The trick is ti stress relieve them and retrue straight
out of the box. This has to be done or every set will do just what you said.
BRBR

WTF...so a brand new set of $800 wheels and you have to finish what the
'builder' didn't do? Amazing..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old April 8th 04, 02:30 PM
Chris Dorn

You got it!
Chris

Old April 9th 04, 01:21 AM
RWM

"RLIrwin" wrote in message
Has anyone tried these - they seem to be a good value.

Short story:
Yes, I have, IMHO they are crap.

SNIP

My advice to run away from any Spinergy products. A few years ago I got
hooked into the SPOX trap. The wheels were nice for about 1500 miles then I
started breaking the spoke nipples at the hub. Spinergy was horrible for
support. One time it took over a month to get spokes...and I am still
waiting for the extra spoke wrenches. Unfortunately I had four sets before
I had the initial problem. I started purchasing extra wheels for parts on
eBay but finally gave up. The two LBS that I deal with most no longer carry
any Spinergy products.

Old April 11th 04, 09:55 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Chris- The trick is ti stress relieve them and retrue straight
out of the box. This has to be done or every set will do just what you said.
BRBR

WTF...so a brand new set of $800 wheels and you have to finish what the
'builder' didn't do? Amazing..

But Peter, they're made of Tilium - they must be good!

Tilium is a little-known element which is even lighter and stronger
than Scamdium. It is so named because it was discovered in
1970s-era kitchen tile, being the alloying element which makes that
tile both nearly indestructible and horrendously ugly.

Old April 11th 04, 02:03 PM
Michael J. Klein

On 11 Apr 2004 00:55:00 -0800, Benjamin Weiner
wrote:

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Chris- The trick is ti stress relieve them and retrue straight
out of the box. This has to be done or every set will do just what you said.
BRBR

WTF...so a brand new set of $800 wheels and you have to finish what the
'builder' didn't do? Amazing..

But Peter, they're made of Tilium - they must be good!

Tilium is a little-known element which is even lighter and stronger
than Scamdium. It is so named because it was discovered in
1970s-era kitchen tile, being the alloying element which makes that
tile both nearly indestructible and horrendously ugly.

Wow, thanks for the new information! The only new matierial I've
found recently is Unobtainium.

Michael J. Klein