Getting a bike for my wife

Old March 25th 07, 11:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Default Getting a bike for my wife

wrote:
Suggestions anyone?

I just got a CRX4 flat bar roadie for commuting. For a budget of $600
that would fit well (it's less than that but I assume you'll need a few
extras). I've only had it a week but been very happy with the shifting,
position and feel. And for someone starting out, flatbar is probably
more likely to instil confidence than drops. If it wasn't for the saddle
(which has got to go) I would have taken it on my long ride yesterday
instead of the OCR.

DaveB
Old March 25th 07, 11:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum[_19_]

Donga has a point.

So does everyone else. Except MM.

Dude, buy your bike a womens specific bike. Advise her, but at the end
of the day, let HER choose the bike.

After years of riding a mens bike, I've just bought a Trek 1500 WSD and
it is the best thing I ever did. It comes with loads of things specific
to women - narrower bars (40mm narrower than my last set), smaller drops
(that I can - and do - actually use quite comfortably), slightly
different geometry and without doubt THE best ladies seat in the world
(my neither regions are in fine shape after 85km yesterday and a quick
25km recovery ride this morning, where I'd normally be quite sensitive
- sorry if that was too much info). If you buy her a male specific
bike, don't expect her to enjoy riding very much, if at all. Oh, and
the womens specific bikes come in way cooler colours than the blokey
ones.

Oh, and spend at least $1,000. At $500 I think you'd be wasting your
money. Keep in mind that small bikes - WSD in particular - hold their
value very, very well.

Don't let any bike shop convince you to buy her a bike and throw a
short stem on it. If the bike she is getting needs anything shorter
than a 90mm stem, it's wrong for her and you should slap the bike shop
knob.

I'm awfully biased (now have two Trek WSD bikes - a mtb and a road
bike), but I think any bike shop that lets a woman walk out with a
men's bike, without having ridden a womens specific bike, should be
frowned upon.

Recently, when visiting a Brisbane bike shop, and asking if they had
any aluminium, ultegra equipped WSD bikes, the guy walked over to the
men's bikes to have a look. When I told him I wanted a WSD bike, he
told me "There's not much difference". He was very, very lucky I
didn't slap him. I'm also very tempted to tell his boss of her
employee's incompetence.

I'm rambling now. In short, get her a bike, but at least let her try a
WSD bike. Everyone's doing them now - Giant, Avanti (Sub Zero bikes),
Trek, Specialized, Le Mond etc. and there are various price ranges.

Good luck!
Lotte

--
LotteBum

Old March 26th 07, 12:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_75_]

LotteBum Wrote:
Donga has a point.

So does everyone else. Except MM.

Dude, buy your bike a womens specific bike. Advise her, but at the end
of the day, let HER choose the bike.

What Lotte said. Let your wife make her decision, support what she
wants to do and importantly, whatever you do, don't make an assumption
on her behalf. Wrong. Bad. World of Pain awaits. i.e: we Ladies don't
like that. Although I'll admit I'm in a very small female subset (but
growing) who prefers to build up their own bikes, think it's almost a
decade since I purchased an "entire" bicycle.

Whatever you & your lovely wife choose to do, have fun. Bikes are fun.

--
cfsmtb

Old March 26th 07, 01:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman[_24_]

LotteBum Wrote:
Donga has a point.

So does everyone else. Except MM.

snip

Good luck!
Lotte

I do so have a point. I do so. I do. I ... ... ....

--
monsterman

Old March 26th 07, 01:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum[_20_]

cfsmtb Wrote:
What Lotte said. Let your wife make her decision, support what she wants
to do and importantly, whatever you do, don't make an assumption on her
behalf. Wrong. Bad. World of Pain awaits. i.e: we Ladies don't like
that. Although I'll admit I'm in a very small female subset (but
growing) who prefers to build up their own bikes, think it's almost a
decade since I purchased an "entire" bicycle.

Whatever you & your lovely wife choose to do, have fun. Bikes are fun.

My last two bikes - before the latest addition to my Trek stable - were
built up bikes (only way to do it, in the past). I found it to be too
expensive, hence I'm ecstatic with the range available for women these
days. It's about fr!gging time too!

I'm not what you would consider a small person (especially not in terms
of width/circumference etc), rather I am average height (about 163cm).
I have quite a short torso and long legs, and my bike is 51cm. The WSD
bikes do go up a fair way, recognising that women who are taller are
still have female specific anatomy etc.

Lotte

--
LotteBum

Old March 26th 07, 04:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 26, 8:34 am, monsterman monsterman.2o0...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:

Q - What's the hardest thing about roller blading?

A - Having to tell your parents you're ghey

(not that there is anything wrong with that).

Speaking of which, I saw the weirdest thing on Ann St (city) today. I
was walking along and heard a ghetto blaster coming from behind,
playing funk. Here goes a ghuy/ghal on roller skates, wearing a
shortie pink zootsuit, with the ghetto blaster on his shoulder. It was
right out of the 70s - sensational! It was hilarious to see jaws
dropping and smiles spreading as he went along.

Donga

Old March 26th 07, 04:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 26, 7:40 am, wrote:
On Mar 26, 7:18 am, "Donga" wrote:

So you are going to just skip the bit where you read the post and go
straight for the insults?

I'm sorry you took it that way - it wasn't intended to insult, but I'm
an insensitive bugger. It's just that I didn't see in what you wrote
that she asked you to buy her a bike. From there I assumed, quite
reasonably. Don't take it personally.

Donga