My old B90 Rated Helmet

Old August 8th 04, 04:06 PM
Dan Barch

Default My old B90 Rated Helmet

Should I upgrade? It is from about 92-94 (also has ANSI Z90.4). a
Dept. store model once sold for $24.95 (got it end season for $10).
Looks klunky with only six small vents and the top two have the foam
3/8 below the shell. Name is Fiero, and the visor is moveable. But it
does have a Snell B 90 numbered sticker.

This spent almost all its life in the garage or basement. Have been
riding a little last three summers. No cracks, never dropped. Looks
like crap but actually fits very well. Should I look for a name brand
CPSC rated model on clearance (I presume) at a LBS? Or just ride on...
Old August 8th 04, 04:20 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Dan Barch wrote:

Should I upgrade? It is from about 92-94 (also has ANSI Z90.4). a
Dept. store model once sold for $24.95 (got it end season for $10).
Looks klunky with only six small vents and the top two have the foam
3/8 below the shell. Name is Fiero, and the visor is moveable. But it
does have a Snell B 90 numbered sticker.

This spent almost all its life in the garage or basement. Have been
riding a little last three summers. No cracks, never dropped. Looks
like crap but actually fits very well. Should I look for a name brand
CPSC rated model on clearance (I presume) at a LBS? Or just ride on...

If it's in good condition, a B90 rated helmet will be stronger than 95%
of helmets currently on the market, which are made to weaker standards.
Do you find it comfortable? If so, you might as well keep it.

Disclaimer: polystyrene may be affected by UV, pollutants etc but IMO
this is largely an excuse for manufacturers to sell you this year's model.
Old August 9th 04, 01:20 AM
Lewis Campbell

Its YOUR head, so you should do what you would be most comfortable
with.

Some people buy the best helmet they can afford and some ride without
any head covering.

Eventually, EVERYONE falls, some on their head, some not.

I have worn helmets for over 20 years without a fall, until recently,
when trashed out 2 helmets, one at the front and one at the back.

Needless to say, I'm really glad I was wearing a helmet (both of which
were new).

Lewis.

*********************************

Old August 9th 04, 02:03 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 8 Aug 2004 17:20:02 -0700, (Lewis Campbell)
wrote:

Its YOUR head, so you should do what you would be most comfortable
with.

Some people buy the best helmet they can afford

Are you suggesting there is some correlation between protection and
cost?

JT