hand problems

Old June 29th 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default hand problems

"Michael Dart" wrote in message
BB wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:58:11 -0500, Tom The Great wrote:
2. Purchased gel/padded gloves

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:02:55 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:
Avoid gel padded gloves.

We are great for advice, aren't we!

Personally I like my gel padded gloves. If you're going to tell
people to avoid them, you might want to say why.

Oh yeah sorry. I tried them out early on and found they bunched up too

much
and caused the numbness I was experiencing. I've found that thin regular
gloves worked best for me. I also found that larger grips like Oury's

work
good too as my large hands didn't wrap as much around them and cause the
blisters/calluses on my upper palms. It probably depends a lot on hand
size.

The more layers between your hand and the bar means more squirm and more
hand fatigue. It's a balancing act between initial comfort and hand
fatigue. I buy relatively thin grips like old Answer Logo grips and gloves
without any padding at all. Even though we were out all day on Cannell and
we had some very long descents my hands were the only part of my body that
was completely fatigue free.

Greg

Old June 29th 06, 02:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

BB wrote:
[...]

Real men still use V-brakes!

Bill "and cassette tapes" S.

Old June 29th 06, 05:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

dirtdude wrote:
I had the same problim for a while, hands go numb after just a few
miles. I think your putting to much weight on the out side of your
hands, tipping your bars back (twords you) will change the geometry of
the bars and distribute your weight more evenly. ask your local bike
shop for help (fitting your bars) or just go a 1/2 inch at a time till
you feel better. It worked for me.
My feet are still going numb and I can not figure it out. I have some
nice sidi shoes and I'v spent a pile of money on shorts and seats from
another problim. but the feet falling asleap 'thing' has never gone
away. if anybody knows what i'm doing wrong I would be greatfull

Perhaps you are overtighening your shoes. Your feet will "swell"
during a ride. Loosen the straps perhaps! That helped me!

Chip