Pedal Reflectors in the UK - a little off topic

Old June 25th 06, 07:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Pedal Reflectors in the UK - a little off topic

A change in UK cycling law I believe, requires reflectors to be on
pedals, so far I've not been able to find anyone who can supply them,
after the push fit on my pedals dropped off.

Indeed 2 dealers I visited admit that they dispose of them when
working on bikes.

Anyone know of a supplier in the UK?
Old June 25th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:12:44 +0100, Pete Bradbury
wrote:

A change in UK cycling law I believe, requires reflectors to be on
pedals, so far I've not been able to find anyone who can supply them,
after the push fit on my pedals dropped off.

Indeed 2 dealers I visited admit that they dispose of them when
working on bikes.

Anyone know of a supplier in the UK?

Don't know if this will help, but you might try reflective tape, or
stickers.

Just put them in the area where the reflector originally was.

Just a guess...

tom
Old June 25th 06, 09:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

wrote:

A change in UK cycling law I believe, requires reflectors to be on
pedals, so far I've not been able to find anyone who can supply them,
after the push fit on my pedals dropped off.

Indeed 2 dealers I visited admit that they dispose of them when
working on bikes.

Anyone know of a supplier in the UK?

Don't know if this will help, but you might try reflective tape, or
stickers.

Just put them in the area where the reflector originally was.

Just a guess...

tom

This came up on uk.rec.cycling not too long ago. IIRC pedal
reflectors have been mandated for ages and there hasn't been a new
change requiring them. Given that front and rear reflector regulations
(or *spit* pavement [read sidewalk for USians] cycling) aren't enforced
it's very unlikely that anybody will object to not being able to see two
mud spattered yellow reflectors on your pedals if you've proper front
and rear lights.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....t=0&scoring=d&
for a google groups thread search with several clueful people chiming
in.
--
Tim.

Old June 25th 06, 10:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

wrote:

[...]

How would you even attempt to fit refelctors onto crank bros candys?
Nowhere for them to mount. I eblieve that bikes HAVE to have reflectors
on front and back, pedals and wheels when sold.
Old June 26th 06, 11:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On 2006-06-25, David Waters wrote:
Tim Izod wrote:

[snip]
This came up on uk.rec.cycling not too long ago. IIRC pedal
reflectors have been mandated for ages and there hasn't been a new
change requiring them. Given that front and rear reflector regulations
(or *spit* pavement [read sidewalk for USians] cycling) aren't enforced
it's very unlikely that anybody will object to not being able to see two
mud spattered yellow reflectors on your pedals if you've proper front
and rear lights.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....t=0&scoring=d&
for a google groups thread search with several clueful people chiming
in.

How would you even attempt to fit refelctors onto crank bros candys?
Nowhere for them to mount. I eblieve that bikes HAVE to have reflectors
on front and back, pedals and wheels when sold.

For that matter, most SPD pedals don't have a lot of space for
fitting reflectors and the requirement to be visible from behind cannot
be sanely met by recumbents anyway.

Annoyingly, when you try to find authoritative documentation you
find references to British Standards documents which aren't available
for free online.

If I remember I'll try to dig out the links I have found & post
them later. There are relevant bits in the construction and use
regulations from around 1985ish I think but I can't remember whether
they've been revised, how many times or when.
--
Tim.

Old July 2nd 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On 2006-06-25, David Waters wrote:

Tim Izod wrote:

[snip]

[...]

what are the British Standards you want to make reference to? I can get
copies.

Pedal Falls Off Elisa Francesca Roselli UK 23 May 16th 05 06:26 PM
SPD pedal advice for town bike foldedpath Techniques 36 July 15th 04 08:09 AM
stupid pedal MPUni Unicycling 13 February 27th 04 04:29 AM
SPD pedal opinions - single or double sided ? Hywel & Ros UK 11 December 22nd 03 12:27 PM