Ishiwata 022 CrMo tubing?

Old January 10th 06, 09:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Ishiwata 022 CrMo tubing?

Any thoughts or comments regarding Ishiwata 022 CrMo bicycle tubing? Are
Reynolds and Columbus the only "holy grails" of bicycle tubing?

Thanks!

Basjan

Old January 10th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Basjan wrote:
Any thoughts or comments regarding Ishiwata 022 CrMo bicycle tubing? Are
Reynolds and Columbus the only "holy grails" of bicycle tubing?

The usual suspects (Andrew Muzi by way of Sheldon Brown) have the
answer: http://sheldonbrown.com/japan.html#ishiwata.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 10th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:19:38 +0100, "Basjan" wrote:

Any thoughts or comments regarding Ishiwata 022 CrMo bicycle tubing? Are
Reynolds and Columbus the only "holy grails" of bicycle tubing?

My 1986 Hirame(Kuwahara) Osaka Pro in Ishiwata 022 is coming up for
its 20th birthday. In other words, it's a very old but reliable tube
set. At the time, it was considered roughly equivalent to Reynolds
501. I paid GBP120 for it new, and I'd happily pay the same for a mint
NOS one if I broke mine just because I like the kit I've got on it and
could keep my old parts, which wouldn't go on a modern frame.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old January 10th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:19:38 +0100, "Basjan" wrote:

Any thoughts or comments regarding Ishiwata 022 CrMo bicycle tubing? Are
Reynolds and Columbus the only "holy grails" of bicycle tubing?

My 1986 Hirame(Kuwahara) Osaka Pro in Ishiwata 022 is coming up for
its 20th birthday. In other words, it's a very old but reliable tube
set. At the time, it was considered roughly equivalent to Reynolds
501. I paid GBP120 for it new, and I'd happily pay the same for a mint
NOS one if I broke mine just because I like the kit I've got on it and
could keep my old parts, which wouldn't go on a modern frame.

My first custom bike was built out of Ishiwata 017 tubing back in 1977
(made by an American working out of South Sydney Aust by the name of Jim
Lemon). Since I weighed only 60 kg I got 4 whole racing seasons out of
it before the seat tube cracked just above the centre bracket lug, left
hand side (most common place I think).

Not the best tubeset for road but there were quite a few pursuit riders
who were using it at the time.

Anybody else use this gauge?

/Robert (now waiting for the snow to melt in Sweden)

Old January 11th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:43:20 GMT, Robert
wrote:

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
[...]

I had a custom made TT frame in 017 made in 1985, but I rode it for
only a season and a half before switching to the aforementioned 022
bike. This is me on the 017 bike
http://grafixbyjorj.co.uk/gallery/ga...to_1996/08.jpg
and this is the 022 bike
http://grafixbyjorj.co.uk/gallery/ga...to_1996/04.jpg

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old January 11th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2006-01-10, Basjan wrote:

Any thoughts or comments regarding Ishiwata 022 CrMo bicycle tubing? Are
Reynolds and Columbus the only "holy grails" of bicycle tubing?

Ishiwata 022 is fine tubing of the same quality as Reynolds or Columbus.
Only problem is they don't make it any more.

--

John )
Old January 11th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Basjan wrote:
Any thoughts or comments regarding Ishiwata 022 CrMo bicycle tubing? Are
Reynolds and Columbus the only "holy grails" of bicycle tubing?

022 is roughly equivalent to Columbus SL, Ishiwata 024 to SP.
Columbus Cyclex(SP/SL material) and Ishiwata's material are
almost the same content.
Reynolds' 531 material has manganese rather than chromium,
which may be splitting hairs.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 11th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Robert wrote:
My first custom bike was built out of Ishiwata 017 tubing back in 1977
(made by an American working out of South Sydney Aust by the name of Jim
Lemon). Since I weighed only 60 kg I got 4 whole racing seasons out of
it before the seat tube cracked just above the centre bracket lug, left
hand side (most common place I think).
Not the best tubeset for road but there were quite a few pursuit riders
who were using it at the time.

Yes, early efforts at ultra thin tube, before today's
stronger alloys, did have higher failure rates. Not just
Ishiwata either.

Old January 11th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Kinky Cowboy wrote:

[...]

Yup, nice pics. And if that's time trialling you were doing, that's
certainly the right application for the 017 tubes, even if you were
about as light as I was.

While we're on numbers, I remember that there was also something called
015, which sounded way too extreme. Does anybody framebuilder here
remember any case of somebody daring to use *that*?

/Robert (17 kg heavier than I was in my 017 days but nonetheless a
better rider ;-)

Old January 12th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2006-01-11, Robert wrote:

While we're on numbers, I remember that there was also something called
015, which sounded way too extreme. Does anybody framebuilder here
remember any case of somebody daring to use *that*?

Yes. Mike Appel in Madison WI made himself an 015 frame (lugless, no
less) back in the early 80s. It lasted several before it failed. Mike
wasn't a big guy -- less than 150# at the time, I'd guess -- and that
probably helped with longevity.

--

John )