For Sheldon-a Quiz..

Old January 10th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default For Sheldon-a Quiz..

Hi Sheldon, I just bought a 1956 Rivetts...a British racing bike, to
display in the shop. It is really a great find but it has something
unique and unexpected in it's Simplex rear derailleur...can you guess?

Think to some of the comments I have made about 'modern' rear
deraileurs...hint, More to come.

It has a TA steel 3 arm crank, Universal sidepulls, beautiful and
amooth Campag steel center, hubs, Fiamme rims, a arm on the der, front
der. ...really cool.

Old January 10th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article .com,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote:

Hi Sheldon, I just bought a 1956 Rivetts...a British racing bike, to
display in the shop. It is really a great find but it has something
unique and unexpected in it's Simplex rear derailleur...can you guess?

Think to some of the comments I have made about 'modern' rear
deraileurs...hint, More to come.

Oh, let me guess! A third jockey wheel? A shopkeeper's apostrophe?
Indexing stops like the Shimano Proton system? A slant parallelogram? Is
it part of a groupo? Does it have an open pulley cage for easier chain
routing?

It has a TA steel 3 arm crank, Universal sidepulls, beautiful and
amooth Campag steel center, hubs, Fiamme rims, a arm on the der, front
der. ...really cool.

Sounds pretty. Photos?

Old January 10th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

He Who Speaks Man From The Countryside wrote:

Hi Sheldon, I just bought a 1956 Rivetts...a British racing bike, to
display in the shop. It is really a great find but it has something
unique and unexpected in it's Simplex rear derailleur...can you guess?

I very much doubt that there's anything "unique" about the derailer,
though like most '50s derailers it will, of course, be a low-normal
design...

Think to some of the comments I have made about 'modern' rear
deraileurs...hint, More to come.

It has a TA steel 3 arm crank, Universal sidepulls, beautiful and
amooth Campag steel center, hubs, Fiamme rims, a arm on the der, front
der. ...really cool.

A Brit bike with all of those continental parts was likely a _very_ high
end machine, though I've never heard of the builder. Lucky you! Bet it
rides nicely!

Sheldon "Anglo/Francophile" Brown
| Small change can often be found under seat cushions. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old January 10th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sheldon Brown wrote:
He Who Speaks Man From The Countryside wrote:

Hi Sheldon, I just bought a 1956 Rivetts...a British racing bike, to
display in the shop. It is really a great find but it has something
unique and unexpected in it's Simplex rear derailleur...can you guess?

I very much doubt that there's anything "unique" about the derailer,
though like most '50s derailers it will, of course, be a low-normal
design...

Yeee-haaaa! I knew you would know...Surprised me when I shifted the
chain around.

Think to some of the comments I have made about 'modern' rear
deraileurs...hint, More to come.

It has a TA steel 3 arm crank, Universal sidepulls, beautiful and
amooth Campag steel center, hubs, Fiamme rims, a arm on the der, front
der. ...really cool.

A Brit bike with all of those continental parts was likely a _very_ high
end machine, though I've never heard of the builder. Lucky you! Bet it
rides nicely!

Very smooth, works well, Not surprising since so little has actually
changed since the last 50 years.

Old January 10th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not surprising since so little has actually
changed since the last 50 years.

And how old were you 50 years of so ago? :-)

Old January 10th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Sheldon, I just bought a 1956 Rivetts...a British racing bike, to
display in the shop. It is really a great find but it has something
unique and unexpected in it's Simplex rear derailleur...can you guess?

I've got an unusual (I think) plastic Simplex rear gear in abox in the
basement somewhere...

Looks like a prestige, black delrin, chrome side-plates, stamped cage,
etcetera...except -

there's no spring in the top pivot. No place for it either, the top section
is only about 3/8" thick at the pivot bolt.

Old January 10th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Pictures?

Old January 10th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:39:49 GMT, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article .com,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote:

Hi Sheldon, I just bought a 1956 Rivetts...a British racing bike, to
display in the shop. It is really a great find but it has something
unique and unexpected in it's Simplex rear derailleur...can you guess?

Think to some of the comments I have made about 'modern' rear
deraileurs...hint, More to come.

Oh, let me guess! A third jockey wheel? A shopkeeper's apostrophe?
Indexing stops like the Shimano Proton system? A slant parallelogram? Is
it part of a groupo? Does it have an open pulley cage for easier chain
routing?

High-normal RapidRise configuration?

Jasper
Old January 11th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:

...It has a TA steel 3 arm crank...

How does a three (3) arm crank work? Or is it a three (3) arm spider?

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley Pedant

Old January 11th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 10 Jan 2006 16:58:16 -0800, "Johnny Sunset"
wrote:

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:

...It has a TA steel 3 arm crank...

How does a three (3) arm crank work? Or is it a three (3) arm spider?

It's the spider. Three-arm used to be pretty common.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Highway Code Quiz No1 Lab BT UK 33 January 6th 06 01:45 PM
Pop Quiz: What's wrong with Bob? Robert Peffers General 0 December 10th 05 08:03 PM
The Michael. J. Vandeman Quiz davebee Mountain Biking 15 May 24th 05 02:19 PM
Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day History Quiz! Ray Sersharp Racing 0 January 18th 05 05:02 AM