hand problems

Old June 26th 06, 06:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default hand problems

after an hour or so riding i start to get a loss of feeling in both hands,
particularly the right

am I holding the handle bar too tight?

will gloves help?

any other advice welcome

regards...

Old June 26th 06, 06:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Macabre Tel Aviv" wrote in message
after an hour or so riding i start to get a loss of feeling in both hands,
particularly the right

am I holding the handle bar too tight?

will gloves help?

any other advice welcome

Release the death grip on your hands. Gloves might help. Check your grips to
make sure they are in good shape. If your stem is too long you might be
putting too much weight on your hands because you have to lean forward. Are
your brake levers in the most comfortable position on your handlebar?

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old June 27th 06, 01:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:18:11 GMT, "Macabre Tel Aviv"
wrote:

after an hour or so riding i start to get a loss of feeling in both hands,
particularly the right

am I holding the handle bar too tight?

will gloves help?

any other advice welcome

regards...

I just got rid of my hand problems. I was waking up at night with
both hands hurting(index and middle fingers with the thumbs in both
hands).

I did this:

1. Bought a bike with front suspension.
2. Purchased gel/padded gloves
3. Re-adjusted my hand position. With the gloves I felt the grip was
more confident, and straignt out my wrists.

With these changes, the hand/finger/wrist pains were elminated. Even
after 2+ hour rides.

hth,

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Old June 27th 06, 02:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

I had the same problim for a while, hands go numb after just a few
miles. I think your putting to much weight on the out side of your
hands, tipping your bars back (twords you) will change the geometry of
the bars and distribute your weight more evenly. ask your local bike
shop for help (fitting your bars) or just go a 1/2 inch at a time till
you feel better. It worked for me.
My feet are still going numb and I can not figure it out. I have some
nice sidi shoes and I'v spent a pile of money on shorts and seats from
another problim. but the feet falling asleap 'thing' has never gone
away. if anybody knows what i'm doing wrong I would be greatfull

Old June 27th 06, 02:27 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Use smaller diameter grips or no gloves.

Old June 27th 06, 01:04 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Macabre Tel Aviv wrote:
after an hour or so riding i start to get a loss of feeling in both hands,
particularly the right

am I holding the handle bar too tight?

will gloves help?

any other advice welcome

regards...

I found lowering the saddle a little helps. Takes some weight off the
hands and puts it on the saddle.

"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
(email is a spamtrap)
Old June 27th 06, 06:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:18:11 GMT, Macabre Tel Aviv wrote:
after an hour or so riding i start to get a loss of feeling in both hands,
particularly the right

am I holding the handle bar too tight?

probably

will gloves help?

probably. I never ride without gloves, except on my foamy-gripped street
cruiser.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address
Old June 28th 06, 02:02 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Macabre Tel Aviv wrote:
after an hour or so riding i start to get a loss of feeling in both
hands, particularly the right

am I holding the handle bar too tight?

will gloves help?

any other advice welcome

regards...

Make sure your controls are set up right. Move your brake levers in (toward
stem) about 1/2 inch to maximize leverage and rotate them back toward you so
you aren't reaching around the bar for them.

Occasionally during a ride when the going gets easy relax your hands by
placing your thumbs up on top of the bar and riding on your palms for a bit.

Depending on your hand size your grips may either be too small or too large.
Avoid gel padded gloves.

Mike

Old June 28th 06, 06:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:58:11 -0500, Tom The Great wrote:
2. Purchased gel/padded gloves

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:02:55 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:
Avoid gel padded gloves.

We are great for advice, aren't we!

Personally I like my gel padded gloves. If you're going to tell people to
avoid them, you might want to say why.

Old June 28th 06, 11:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

BB wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:58:11 -0500, Tom The Great wrote:
2. Purchased gel/padded gloves

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:02:55 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:
Avoid gel padded gloves.

We are great for advice, aren't we!

Personally I like my gel padded gloves. If you're going to tell
people to avoid them, you might want to say why.

Oh yeah sorry. I tried them out early on and found they bunched up too much
and caused the numbness I was experiencing. I've found that thin regular
gloves worked best for me. I also found that larger grips like Oury's work
good too as my large hands didn't wrap as much around them and cause the
blisters/calluses on my upper palms. It probably depends a lot on hand
size.

Mike