New B&M Lights with Wide Beam and Daytime Mode Available

Old November 15th 13, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_4_]

Default New B&M Lights with Wide Beam and Daytime Mode Available

John B. wrote:
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:08:06 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:33:21 AM UTC-5, Jay Beattie wrote:

A flasher can be useful this time of year when my commute is in
dreary conditions, and a solid beam can be lost in the light noise.
I switch to flasher mode in a few places along my commute route. I
would like that option on a dyno light, although it is not
critical.

You can get that functionality by clamping a kid's toy pinwheel a
couple of inches above and in front of the headlight.

Doesn't Scharf have instructions about that on his website
somewhere? It goes well with flippy flags! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

And if you clip a playing card to the front fork so the spokes hit it
you won't need a bell to let people know you are coming up behind
them

I got myself one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/ACTION-HORN-SI.../dp/B00196KE64
It really shifts dog walkers, pram pushers and pavement pounders on the
shared paths.
PH.

Old November 15th 13, 12:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:44:32 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:08:04 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:08:06 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:33:21 AM UTC-5, Jay Beattie wrote:

A flasher can be useful this time of year when my commute is in dreary conditions, and a solid beam can be lost in the light noise. I switch to flasher mode in a few places along my commute route. I would like that option on a dyno light, although it is not critical.

You can get that functionality by clamping a kid's toy pinwheel a couple of inches above and in front of the headlight.

Doesn't Scharf have instructions about that on his website somewhere? It goes well with flippy flags! ;-)

And if you clip a playing card to the front fork so the spokes hit it
you won't need a bell to let people know you are coming up behind
them.

Next will come the bumper stickers: Loud Spokes Save Lives!

- Frank Krygowski

Yes Sir. Get it right here, the Ever Louder Bicycle Card, complete
with spring loaded clamp. Only $19.99.

By the way, I saw, today, a site that advertises fender mud flaps for
prices ranging from 19 dollars to 29 dollars....
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 15th 13, 12:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Don't I remember sirens that clamped to the bike fork and had a chain
that you could pull to engage it? Make a dreadful noise going down a
long hill :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 15th 13, 01:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Further to the above, here is a movin pitcher that shows one how to do
it :-)
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...-a-motorcycle/
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 15th 13, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/15/2013 4:08 AM, John B. wrote:

Don't I remember sirens that clamped to the bike fork and had a chain
that you could pull to engage it? Make a dreadful noise going down a
long hill :-)

I had one of those back in the 1960's. I was worried I'd get in trouble
if the police found out.

Photo of one at: http://oi41.tinypic.com/141qlfs.jpg
Old November 15th 13, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

[...]

That's really just a toy.

You want something like this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-car-alarm-motorcycle-electric-amplifier-horn-alarm-speaker-60-w-amplifying-horn-siren-speakers/1386366610.html

You'll need a 12V power source.

Old November 15th 13, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/14/2013 8:06 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 07:05:55 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 11/13/2013 07:34 PM, sms wrote:
On 11/13/2013 3:34 PM, Andre Jute wrote:

Whether these new lamps are desirable -- speaking now to cyclists who
aren't BUMMbuddies (who always have to have the latest BUMM lamps, and
think they're the greatest because they're the latest) -- depends on
whether BUMM have fixed the problems of the wretched recent series of
Cyo, most notably the gross hotspot.

Companies are finally learning to design optics specifically for LEDs
rather than trying to re-use the optics that they used for decades on
incandescent lamps. They also seem to now realize that they have
sufficient light that they don't have to focus all the available light
onto a small patch of road directly in front of the bicycle.

The last few lights I've purchased have had almost no hotspot. You can
see a slight hotspot if you look really closely but you'd have to be
actually looking for it. All of these have had spot to zoom optics.

The next goal of B&M should be to offer a version of their product with
optics and features that are highly desirable but that are not allowed
to be sold in Germany. Either they can follow what Supernova did and
state that the lights are not for on-road use, or they can do a version
for the rest-of-world with symmetrical optics and a flash mode. It would
greatly expand their TAM.

Why the **** would they take a perfectly good light and give it a
****tier beam pattern and a useless flash mode? Do you have any idea
what makes a good headlight, Mr. Self-Proclaimed Expert, or do you just
talk talk talk and never listen?

It is likely that the Light People are reacting to popular demand.

In this case the demand is driven by solid scientific studies, the kind
that a few people in r.b.t. abhor because invariably the results
contradict their own claimed beliefs (though it's highly questionable as
to whether or not they actually believe what they are posting).

Flashing lights are three to five times more visible than a steady light
of equivalent brightness (depending on which study you believe). The
negative about flashing lights is that they make it more difficult to
accurately judge the distance of the vehicle or bicycle with a flashing
light (and this applies to both front or rear flashers).

The optimal lighting setup for bicycles would be one flashing light and
one steady light, but few cyclists want to deal with two front and two
rear lights. There are a few higher end bicycle lights available with
two sets of light sources and optics with each being independently
settable, but that use one battery pack, i.e. the Light & Motion Stella
600 Dual. But not many cyclists are going to spend $300 on lights.
Buying two separate lights works fine, and it is much less expensive,
but it means dealing with two sets of batteries and chargers, and two
mounts.

Since a night commuter with dynamo lights is probably going to carry
along a battery powered light anyway (in case repairs need to be
performed), what makes sense is to make that battery powered light one
that can serve double-duty as a front flasher in the daytime. You can
buy a high quality, 600 lumen, single Li-Ion cell, zoomable light, with
flash mode, for about $35 including a battery and charger. Just add a
TwoFish mount.

The bottom line is that if you value your safety you don't want to be
riding in the daytime without a front flashing light of sufficient
brightness.

Old November 15th 13, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, November 15, 2013 12:05:19 AM UTC-5, Peter Howard wrote:

I got myself one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/ACTION-HORN-SI.../dp/B00196KE64

It really shifts dog walkers, pram pushers and pavement pounders on the
shared paths.

Interestingly, sirens are specifically prohibited on bicycles in my state. I suspect that's true in most U.S. states as well.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 16th 13, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

That is some new-fangled modern stuff. I was talking about the
traditional type :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 16th 13, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 08:35:32 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Friday, November 15, 2013 12:05:19 AM UTC-5, Peter Howard wrote:

I got myself one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/ACTION-HORN-SI.../dp/B00196KE64

It really shifts dog walkers, pram pushers and pavement pounders on the
shared paths.

Interestingly, sirens are specifically prohibited on bicycles in my state. I suspect that's true in most U.S. states as well.

- Frank Krygowski

I think that they are in most places. After all when you designate
something to identify emergency vehicles you don't want every Tom,
Dick and Harry to use them.
--
Cheers,

John B.