Torque Wrench?

Old February 15th 05, 03:10 AM
Jay Beattie

"Dave Thompson" wrote in message
Chris Hughes wrote:
Pretty much a loaded question. There are a lot of criteria

to define
what is best. I personally use a beam type. Cheap and good

enough
accuracy. Some people like the click type but they are not
necessarily more accurate and are more expensive. Then you

can go to
the ultra precision type and pay big bucks, but why? Not

much if
anything on a bike needs a high degree of accuracy. Most

spec's give
a range of torque, get in there and most any torque wrench

will be
good enough.
Chris
"Wasatch5k" wrote in message
Who makes the best Torque wrench?

Thanks,

Nate

Craftsman makes a very good beam type torque wrench that reads

high enough
for bottom brackets and crank bolts. It retails for around

$20.00. It's
calibrated in foot-pounds and Newton-meters.

Beams can get bent and beaten up, though. But with that said, I
own a couple of the Craftsman, and they work fine. If I were
doing production work, I would get a click wrench -- but with the
occaisional crank bolt or eccentric bolt (which is measured in
inch pounds), these wrenches are good enough. -- Jay Beattie.

Old February 15th 05, 05:13 AM
jasong

For 1/4", I didn't find anything reasonably priced except the Park. For
the other sizes, Craftsmen are more readily available and possibly
cheaper.

--
jasong

Old February 15th 05, 05:42 AM
Ken Pisichko

Try snap-on ot mac tools. Both are expensive professional torque
wrenches for the automotive trade. The aircraft industry has better and
more expensive ones.

I have a Chinese made 1/2" drive one and a USA military surplus 1/4"
drive one. Both are as accurate as I need for my bicycles, automobiles,
and target rifles.

Ken
Canada

Old February 15th 05, 05:50 AM
Neil Brooks

Wasatch5k wrote:

Who makes the best Torque wrench?

I think others phrased it pretty well. Basically, the best will cost
you a ton and, for bicycle applications, seemingly give you little
incremental benefit. I agree with the poster who implied that the
tolerances for the torque spec are going to be /well/ within the
accuracy of a beam wrench, much less an expensive tool.

I bought one like this: http://snipurl.com/csbb for about the same
price ($30) It works just fine. Got a good set of 1/4" drive hex
sockets by Craftsman.
Old February 15th 05, 06:07 AM
jasong

Oh yeah, Stanley has a set of 3/8" metric hex wrenches at Walmart for
about 1/2 of what the craftsmen variety cost, around $12 instead of
maybe $25. Same with Torx, if you need those. They reach further than
the craftsmen variety, too.

Old February 15th 05, 03:32 PM
H M Leary

In article ,
Wasatch5k wrote:

Who makes the best Torque wrench?

Thanks,

Nate

Shel Bro Co far and away with its universal torque wrench.

A "must have" for any profesional.

HAND
Old February 20th 05, 05:20 AM
Dev Null

Wasatch5k wrote in news:37cp6tF598kprU1
@individual.net:

Who makes the best Torque wrench?

Thanks,

Nate

This is one of the very best:
http://www.torqwrench.com/Products/S...plitBeams.html

Easton EA70 stem AC Techniques 10 November 17th 04 08:00 AM
Torque wrench for BBs Paul Davis UK 12 August 11th 04 12:12 AM
Torque wrench recommendations Paul Davis UK 14 April 8th 04 05:24 PM
Torque Concept versus Torque Measurement Calvin Jones Techniques 2 April 8th 04 05:23 PM
Park Torque wrench. and NM's Neacalban1 Techniques 1 January 4th 04 12:21 PM