rider weight guidelines for carbon seatposts?

Old February 18th 05, 11:38 PM
jim beam

I've done a bit of searching on this but haven't turned up much, so
I'll ask here.
I'm looking for a new seatpost, lighter than the one that came with my
road bike. Many of the higher-end posts (e.g., an Easton EC90) I see
advertised are carbon fiber. Since I weigh in the low 190s, should I
avoid this material in favor of titanium or aluminum?

Thanks,
Chris

as has been said above, it's impossible to say without knowing its
extension because of the leverage involved, but as a rule, carbon posts
are very reliable & offer better fatigue characteristics than aluminum.
i weigh more than you & have a real long extension on my mtb, no problems.

easton are great posts except for the fact that their clear coat is
abysmally flaky. they really need to sort that out - every other carbon
post manufacturer out there's got it figured. i have easton, campy &
supergo. the quality on the latter is almost as good as the campy &
unbeatable for the price.

Old February 19th 05, 12:11 AM
smokva

Antti Salonen wrote:

Here's a photograph of my setup:

http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~as/look555.jpg

I see you have DT rims on your bike. I have both them yesterday and havent
built wheeles yet Will try to pair them with DT 240s hubs anytime soon.
What I wanted to ask is how are you satisfied with those rims?

Ante Smokrovic
========================

ICQ: 5924617

Old February 19th 05, 03:21 AM
Antti Salonen

smokva wrote:

I see you have DT rims on your bike. I have both them yesterday and havent
built wheeles yet Will try to pair them with DT 240s hubs anytime soon.
What I wanted to ask is how are you satisfied with those rims?

I can't say, because I built this bike in early January and we still
have about a foot of snow. I'm riding my cyclocross bike now (with
studded tyres) and will wait until late March or early April before I
take the new road bike out.

I used a 32-hole Record rear hub and a 28-hole Tune front hub, and I
like to think that I have a light yet reliable set of wheels. In summer
trim I'm only about 130 lbs, so it's very unlikely that I'll run into
any problems with traditional wheels like these.

-as
Old February 19th 05, 07:56 AM
smokva

Antti Salonen wrote:

I used a 32-hole Record rear hub and a 28-hole Tune front hub, and I
like to think that I have a light yet reliable set of wheels. In summer
trim I'm only about 130 lbs, so it's very unlikely that I'll run into
any problems with traditional wheels like these.

That's what I like to think I'll have..lightweight traditional wheel, but I'm
somewhat heavier than you (90kg) so I guess I'll be the real test for them )
Actually I plan to ride them on races only.

Ante Smokrovic
========================

ICQ: 5924617

Old February 19th 05, 08:03 AM
smokva

smokva wrote:

That's what I like to think I'll have..lightweight traditional wheel, but I'm
somewhat heavier than you (90kg) so I guess I'll be the real test for them )
Actually I plan to ride them on races only.

Forgot to tell that I wanted 36h version but it was impossible to find them in
that version. Actually I couldn't find a single rim with 36h. I was willing to
order it but when I tried to buy some good 36h hub I came to the same problem.
So I took 32h version and made it easier. I'm sad to say that noone is selling
36h hubs and rims here, and I was looking in 8 stores, in 3 countries (
Sometimes I wish I live in America...but not very often )

Ante Smokrovic
========================

ICQ: 5924617

Old February 19th 05, 01:07 PM
Paul Kopit

On 19 Feb 2005 03:21:35 GMT, Antti Salonen
wrote:

I used a 32-hole Record rear hub and a 28-hole Tune front hub, and I
like to think that I have a light yet reliable set of wheels. In summer
trim I'm only about 130 lbs, so it's very unlikely that I'll run into
any problems with traditional wheels like these.

I wouldn't expect any problems for you either.

I use a Chours 32 hub and 1.8/1.6 butted spokes on on rear and have
no problems. The front is a Record 28 and straight 15ga spokes. I'm
~200 lbs.

My wife, about your weight, is using Record 28s front and rear with
2.0/1.8 spokes and the wheels are boring. Nothing changes from when I
built them.