adjustable bottom bracket

Old February 18th 05, 06:25 PM
Dave Mills

Default adjustable bottom bracket

OK, This may be a naive question but here goes:

I am using an experimental crank setup that requires me to use a
standard taper BB (have some biomechanical issues). The BB my fit guru
installed is a 113 mm shimano cartridge. The clearance between ring and
frame is pretty tight with this set up. I'd like to lighten up a little
bit and have an old 110 mm World Class Ti bracket in my spare parts
box. I've never mounted a BB, btu they advertise this as "infinately
adjustable" since there is no lock ring- "both cups adjustable". Will I
simply be able to mount the 110 BB 1.5mm offset to the right side to
make it work or would I need some type of spacer? Or am I foolish to
try this and should I look for a 113mm bracket? It is hard to find a
light weight Ti taper bracket these days- any one have one for sale?

-DM

Old February 18th 05, 08:00 PM

Dave Mills wrote:
I'd like to lighten up a little
bit and have an old 110 mm World Class Ti bracket in my spare parts
box. I've never mounted a BB, btu they advertise this as "infinately

adjustable" since there is no lock ring- "both cups adjustable".

Will I
simply be able to mount the 110 BB 1.5mm offset to the right side to
make it work or would I need some type of spacer? Or am I foolish

try this and should I look for a 113mm bracket? It is hard to find a

light weight Ti taper bracket these days- any one have one for sale?

-DM

Actually a reasonably intelligent question. As far as I can tell, your
arrangement should work, unless there isn't enough clearance for the
left crankarm. You should not need a spacer- in fact, there's no way to
use a spacer for what you're asking.

Here's a picture of a World Class BB:
http://www.bikepro.com/products/bott...ts/wclass.html

Jeff