Sunscreen for bicycling

Old August 9th 18, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Sunscreen for bicycling

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 3:31:46 PM UTC-4, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 15:05:21 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/9/2018 3:37 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 6:13:10 AM UTC+2, news18 wrote:
On 09/08/18 10:05, bob prohaska wrote:
Does anybody have suggestions for sunscreen to wear while bicycling?
I've been using a stock of TopCare SPF30, but it's running out and I
don't particularly like the odor and texture of the stuff.

Something non-greasy, so it won't crud up clothes, and easily washed
off after a ride would be desirable. It only needs to last a couple hours.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas.
No recommendation to brand, but do you really need to wear so much of it.
Here in Australia, max I ever applied was nose, tips of ears and in
summer; behind the knees. If you're riding regularly into spring, your
skin just tans slightly over time with out the burn of a rare sunny day.

The only person I met for who this wasn't sufficent was albine(not PC),
wh wore long cottons for 3 seasons ans stayed indoor for Summer.

It is not only about preventing a sun burn but also to prevent skin cancer.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN10F2ID

That article seems to be more of an explanation as to why statistical
evidence of the effectiveness of sun creams doesn't exist. In part:

"Reuters Health) - There isn't much evidence to conclusively prove
that daily sunscreen use can prevent most skin cancers, a research
review concludes.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't use sunscreen, doctors say. It just
means it's unethical to do experiments testing the effectiveness of
sunscreen by randomly assigning some people to use it and others to
skip it.

I burn very easily but since using sunscreen have NOT had sunburn.

Cheers
Old August 9th 18, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

On 8/9/2018 3:37 AM, wrote:
[...]

Most people have that experience :-)

But more seriously, one assumes that you are an individual with very
little melanin and thus very little natural protection against UV skin
damage.
Old August 10th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 8/9/2018 3:37 AM, wrote:
[...]

I don't think anyone's doubting that sunscreen use reduces sunburn. But
there are some doubting that sunscreen use significantly reduces skin
cancer. As with other "safety" mechanisms, the lab tests say one thing
but the long term population data says another.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 10th 18, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-08 17:05, bob prohaska wrote:
Does anybody have suggestions for sunscreen to wear while bicycling?
I've been using a stock of TopCare SPF30, but it's running out and I
don't particularly like the odor and texture of the stuff.

Something non-greasy, so it won't crud up clothes, and easily washed
off after a ride would be desirable. It only needs to last a couple hours.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas.

I use the house brands from CVS and Walgreens. Currently Walgreens
"Sport 50" which I believe is SPF50. I don't see much difference versus
the CVS SPF30 sun blocker I used before but I am not very sensitive to
sun burns. I ride all year and the skin begins to tan more towards the
summer which seems to make it less sensitive. Some tan remains through
the winter because we have a lot of sunny days then as well.

My rides are 3-5h. So far I haven't noticed any rub-off onto clothing
but I only apply it to exposed skin. So it would only have a chance to
rub into my cargo shorts from above the knee when pedaling. It just
hasn't happened noticeably.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 10th 18, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 8/9/2018 3:37 AM, wrote:
[...]

It must prevent some effect. Tan is a natural protective reaction which
in and of itself already causes skin damage.

A very fair-skinned cycling friend uses SPF100 and puts it on
generously. Even after a 5h ride in the glistening sun his skin remains
very white so the sun blocker must be protecting because it prevents
even a minimal tan.

Old August 10th 18, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

On 8/9/2018 3:37 AM, wrote:
[...]

If memory serves me properly (and it sometimes does), early sunscreens
blocked only one of UVA and UVB (I can't remember which), with the result
that you didn't tan, but your skin got damaged anyway. If modern sunscreen
has a similar deficiency in protection, you could find that increased
sunscreen use doesn't correlate with lower skin cancer rates.
Alternatively, what if sunscreen itself is a carcinogen?

Old August 10th 18, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

On 8/9/2018 3:37 AM, wrote:
[...]

On the other hand I can assure you that the incidence of new basal
cell cancers on my forearms is greatly reduced after using Sun Block
and several friends have the same experience.

Re your reference above, it appears to be a simple count of noses of
those who used sun block daily and those who used it only infrequently
but that would seem to ignore the fact that Basal Cell Carcinoma
occurs in areas that is not exposed to the sun. The ratio seems to be
about 1/3 on areas not exposed versus 2/3rds in areas exposed.

Apparently the general scientific attitude toward Basal Cell,
particularly, is:

sal-cell carcinoma is a common skin cancer and occurs mainly in
fair-skinned patients with a family history of this cancer. Sunlight
is a factor in about two-thirds of these cancers; therefore, doctors
recommend sunscreens with at least SPF 30. However, a Cochrane review
examining the effect of solar protection (sunscreen only) in
preventing the development of basal cell carcinoma or cutaneous
squamous cell carcinoma found that there was insufficient evidence to
demonstrate whether sunscreen was effective for the prevention of
either of these keratinocyte-derived cancers. The review did
ultimately state that the certainty of these results were low, so
future evidence could very well alter this conclusion. One-third occur
in non-sun-exposed areas; thus, the pathogenesis is more complex than
UV exposure as the cause.

If we are both reading the same report it appears that the report
could not identify sun damage as the sole cause of cancer and said so.
I can find nothing that states that UV damage DOES NOT, in some cases,
cause cancer simply that the data is too uncertain to make a specific
statement.
Old August 10th 18, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 00:36:32 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone

wrote:

On 8/9/2018 3:37 AM, wrote:
[...]

I don't remember UVA or UVB but when I was going to school in Miami a
friend had some sort of sun block that "prevented sun damage but
allowed tanning". The idea of tanning was, I suppose, because
everyone else on the beach had a nice tan and I guess the "white
skins" didn't want to stand out.
Old August 10th 18, 09:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Joerg wrote:

[...]

It allowed the existing cells to tan by passing UVA, but blocked UVB.

According to the London Telegraph's reporting, some modern sunscreen norms
require that a UVA protection claiming label must be backed up by a UVA PF
of at least one-third of the stated SPF (UVB) rating. Boris Johnson was
wrong indeed: Letter-boxes (taped shut) are best!
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-johnson-defended-by-leading-imam-over-burka-comments_uk_5b6bf966e4b0530743c71456

But as rbt's readers exclusively die from the effects of wrong gear
selection, lightweight component failure, bike route muggings, closed
brewpubs, wildlife attacking, styrofoam lids or missing styrofoam lids, the
only rbt-relevant sunscreen quality is whether it dissolves expensive grips
and other plastic materials (including black lycra matters) and, maybe, if
it can be used as an emergency chain lube.
Old August 10th 18, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 5:05:19 PM UTC-7, bob prohaska wrote:
Does anybody have suggestions for sunscreen to wear while bicycling?
I've been using a stock of TopCare SPF30, but it's running out and I
don't particularly like the odor and texture of the stuff.

Something non-greasy, so it won't crud up clothes, and easily washed
off after a ride would be desirable. It only needs to last a couple hours.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas.

bob prohaska

Nuetrogena 100+ nothing gets through.

Sunscreen report [email protected] Techniques 0 July 16th 17 07:07 AM
SUNSCREEN datakoll Techniques 5 May 19th 12 05:42 AM
sunscreen ate my paint [email protected] Techniques 45 September 5th 11 07:01 AM
Sunscreen: Spray or lotion? What you like? [email protected] Techniques 25 July 24th 08 05:21 PM
sunscreen makes you hotter? larry english Techniques 25 August 8th 03 01:58 AM