Another Day, Another Lunatic

Old April 23rd 09, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James[_6_]

Default Another Day, Another Lunatic

On my ride today, got to a village and wasn't sure which way to turn, so
decided to "u-turn" around a mini-roundabout to take a good look at all
the signposts. Signalled right, moved across...no problems so far.
started turning right with the painted on circle (small concrete mound)
just to the right of my wheel. Got to the second exit (straight on) and
"whoooosh", lady in Land Rover drives right across white circle (going
straight on) and nearly flattens me.
Old April 23rd 09, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

"James" wrote in message ...
On my ride today, got to a village and wasn't sure which way to turn, so
decided to "u-turn" around a mini-roundabout to take a good look at all
the signposts. Signalled right, moved across...no problems so far.
started turning right with the painted on circle (small concrete mound)
just to the right of my wheel. Got to the second exit (straight on) and
"whoooosh", lady in Land Rover drives right across white circle (going
straight on) and nearly flattens me.

were you still signaling Right while on the round about?

pk
Old April 23rd 09, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"James" wrote in message ...
On my ride today, got to a village and wasn't sure which way to turn, so
decided to "u-turn" around a mini-roundabout to take a good look at all
the signposts. Signalled right, moved across...no problems so far. started
turning right with the painted on circle (small concrete mound) just to
the right of my wheel. Got to the second exit (straight on) and
"whoooosh", lady in Land Rover drives right across white circle (going
straight on) and nearly flattens me.

I always give way to everyone at mini roundabouts (or at least wait until
*they* give way to me). This is because many drivers do not understand how
they work and the "give way to the right" principle.

If you are driving a Land Rover it's not that important. If you are on two
wheels, it is.

Also remember, car drivers are very important people and may well be in a
hurry. Common occurrences of this type of thing happen at about 3.05 to 3.15
in the afternoon when said lady is late picking up from school. Watch out!
These people are far more important than cyclists who get in their way.

Old April 23rd 09, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"pk" wrote in message
"James" wrote in message
On my ride today, got to a village and wasn't sure which way to turn, so
decided to "u-turn" around a mini-roundabout to take a good look at all
the signposts. Signalled right, moved across...no problems so far.
started turning right with the painted on circle (small concrete mound)
just to the right of my wheel. Got to the second exit (straight on) and
"whoooosh", lady in Land Rover drives right across white circle (going
straight on) and nearly flattens me.

were you still signaling Right while on the round about?

Does it matter? Quite often a positive arm signal is an excuse to try to
take your arm off. Perhaps we should have little flashing indicators that
drivers can understand.

Old April 23rd 09, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_2_]

"mileburner" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
[...]

Well said. These people are so important that as well having liberty to
knock down and squelch cyclists, they are exempt from indication and also
their important telephone conversations are conveyed directly from their
office command desks directly to their cars, as their conversations can not
be delayed by mere matters of road safety and courtesy.

Old April 23rd 09, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thaksin

"James" wrote in message
[...]

You're so, _so_ right! These VIPs are able to perform ALL the acts you
mention above, and, should they be _really_ late and/or important, they
are permitted to simply ignore red traffic light and cycle.... ooops,
sorry, I mean _drive_ straight through them. Oh dear, is that a biking
stereotype I see there? Like the 'cager' stereotypes in the paragraph
above, for example?
Old April 23rd 09, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

James wrote:
On my ride today, got to a village and wasn't sure which way to turn, so
decided to "u-turn" around a mini-roundabout to take a good look at all
the signposts. Signalled right, moved across...no problems so far.
started turning right with the painted on circle (small concrete mound)
just to the right of my wheel. Got to the second exit (straight on) and
"whoooosh", lady in Land Rover drives right across white circle (going
straight on) and nearly flattens me.

I quite often have to make the same maneuver in the car & I can assure
you that you don't have to be on a bike for this to happen, some people
do not expect a u-turn on a mini roundabout.

--
Tony the Dragon
Old April 24th 09, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James[_6_]

Tony Dragon wrote:
James wrote:
On my ride today, got to a village and wasn't sure which way to turn,
so decided to "u-turn" around a mini-roundabout to take a good look at
all the signposts. Signalled right, moved across...no problems so far.
started turning right with the painted on circle (small concrete
mound) just to the right of my wheel. Got to the second exit (straight
on) and "whoooosh", lady in Land Rover drives right across white
circle (going straight on) and nearly flattens me.

I quite often have to make the same maneuver in the car & I can assure
you that you don't have to be on a bike for this to happen, some people
do not expect a u-turn on a mini roundabout.

Not expecting a U-turn, fair enough.
Driving right across the painted (and raised) white circle - lunacy.

Old April 24th 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

James wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
James wrote:
On my ride today, got to a village and wasn't sure which way to turn,
so decided to "u-turn" around a mini-roundabout to take a good look
at all the signposts. Signalled right, moved across...no problems so
far. started turning right with the painted on circle (small concrete
mound) just to the right of my wheel. Got to the second exit
(straight on) and "whoooosh", lady in Land Rover drives right across
white circle (going straight on) and nearly flattens me.

I quite often have to make the same maneuver in the car & I can assure
you that you don't have to be on a bike for this to happen, some
people do not expect a u-turn on a mini roundabout.

Not expecting a U-turn, fair enough.

Especially as the Highway Code counsels against U-tuirns at mini-roundabouts.

Driving right across the painted (and raised) white circle - lunacy.

Endorsable offence AFAIK.
Old April 24th 09, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

On 24 Apr, 08:55, JNugent wrote:
James wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
James wrote:
On my ride today, got to a village and wasn't sure which way to turn,
so decided to "u-turn" around a mini-roundabout to take a good look
at all the signposts. Signalled right, moved across...no problems so
far. started turning right with the painted on circle (small concrete
mound) just to the right of my wheel. Got to the second exit
(straight on) and "whoooosh", lady in Land Rover drives right across
white circle (going straight on) and nearly flattens me.

I quite often have to make the same maneuver in the car & I can assure
you that you don't have to be on a bike for this to happen, some
people do not expect a u-turn on a mini roundabout.

Not expecting a U-turn, fair enough.

Especially as the Highway Code counsels against U-tuirns at mini-roundabouts.

Driving right across the painted (and raised) white circle - lunacy.

Endorsable offence AFAIK.- Hide quoted text -

That would be rule 188 "Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts.
Beware of others doing this"

Francis