What to Wear

Old September 12th 12, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default What to Wear

Six minutes to roll-out for a trip to the ophthalmologist. Yesterday
I was fretting over what to wear -- I don't want to sit around for
several hours in my cycling suit, and I particularly don't want to sit
in one of those lie-down chairs in a jersey with pockets in the back.

So I was planning how to pin my jeans at the ankle, tie on a
pants-protector, tie a garter on the other leg to keep the jeans from
rubbing on my knee, take all that off when I get there, and spend five
minutes putting it all back on when it's time to leave . . .

Duh! My jeans, carefully folded so nothing will fall out of the
pockets, are in a bag in my back pannier. Bip into the ladies' room,
whip off my knickers, pull on the jeans -- elapsed time thirty
seconds.

I just hope I don't need my reading glasses before I get there. (I've
allowed time to stop on the way.) (Um . . . that was the clock
striking roll-out. I'm eating into that allowed time.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old September 13th 12, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Wes Groleau

On 09-12-2012 12:03, Joy Beeson wrote:
Six minutes to roll-out for a trip to the ophthalmologist. Yesterday
I was fretting over what to wear -- I don't want to sit around for
several hours in my cycling suit, and I particularly don't want to sit
in one of those lie-down chairs in a jersey with pockets in the back.

I've discovered that the clothes I wear to work, shop, and relax
do not prevent me from biking. YMMV.

--
Wes Groleau

“Thinking I'm dumb gives people something to
feel smug about. Why should I disillusion them?”
— Charles Wallace
(in _A_Wrinkle_In_Time_)

Old September 14th 12, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Joy Beeson wrote:
[...]

I just pin my slacks with large safety pins, ones about 2" long. Unlike
metal pants clips, velcro straps, rubber bands or any of the rest, they
never slip loose.

And gosh, think of the weight savings! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 14th 12, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 23:15:11 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I just pin my slacks with large safety pins, ones about 2" long. Unlike
metal pants clips, velcro straps, rubber bands or any of the rest, they
never slip loose.

If I merely pin them at the ankles, they drag on my knees. So I also
wrap a piece of twill tape around twice just under the knee and tie a
bow; this keeps the pants smooth at the shins and puffy above the
string.

I used to use a shorter tape and wrap just once, but I sometimes had
to pull the puffs back up; with the garter wrapped twice, the ease
stays were I put it until I untie the tape.

It was a pleasant trip, though a bit too sunny for the trip back;
I look decidedly queer in my spouse's wrap-around sunglasses. Alas, I
didn't find a reflective surface after I went outside put my helmet
on.

Went by car for today's unrelated appointment. I don't bike fasting.

Old September 17th 12, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

If I merely pin them at the ankles, they drag on my knees.
So I also wrap a piece of twill tape around twice just under
the knee and tie a bow; this keeps the pants smooth at the
shins and puffy above the string.

=v= Pants leggings that are big enough for my biker thighs are
often too wide down at the ankles, so I hold the excess down
with a velcro strap. Some pants don't take well to this, and
unravel, so I take those in, making them more peg-legged.

=v= Now that you mention it, the drag at the knees is also an
irritation, though not one I've thought about very much. For
the last few years I have mostly worn Swrve jeans and pants (

http://swrve.us/

), which have a pair of little arrow-shaped gathers at the
knee, preventing drag. (They also have a diamond-shaped
gusset at the crotch, and the back of the pants are higher
than the front, for biking.)

=v= I know a few people who don't fit well into these jeans,
so I'm fortunate that they fit me perfectly and I haven't had
to take them in or tie bows or anything. Unfortunately they
seem to have phased out their products for women. In fact,
if the photos on the website are any indication, facial hair
will soon be mandatory.
_Jym_

Does anyone wear [email protected] Australia 0 February 2nd 07 07:08 AM
Rim wear Peter Techniques 15 June 18th 05 09:43 PM
Rim wear Brian Drury UK 7 March 3rd 05 07:59 PM
"Be Bright - Wear White" vs' "Fight Back - Wear Black" Drinky UK 45 November 28th 04 01:42 AM
Thanks - "Be Bright - Wear White" vs' "Fight Back - Wear Black" Drinky UK 47 November 26th 04 12:33 PM