call of nature

Old June 8th 09, 11:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

Default call of nature

Guys only, likely, tho maybe the ladies have an opinion:

When riding in the country and you find you haven't quite eliminated all
the water through sweat. How far off the road do you go?

Old June 8th 09, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°

recycled wrote:

Guys only, likely, tho maybe the ladies have an opinion:

When riding in the country and you find you haven't quite eliminated all
the water through sweat. How far off the road do you go?

Into the corn (maize) field, up against the nearest largest tree, or to
the thick hedgerow.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 8th 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

recycled wrote:

Guys only, likely, tho maybe the ladies have an opinion:

When riding in the country and you find you haven't quite eliminated all
the water through sweat. How far off the road do you go?

Depends on the mosquitoes (seriously). One trick if cover is sparse is
to "hide in plain sight" by prominently placing your bike on the other
side of the road. People naturally assume you're over there and often
don't even look at the other side even if you're in plain view, which,
I'll admit, isn't the best of situations.

If you've lived in the city and are observant you'll see all kinds of
creative techniques for peeing in public without getting noticed. The
guiding principle is to not look like you're peeing.

People (and cops) aren't generally so offended by peeing as flagrant
peeing. That said, conditions and terrain permitting, I'll take what
cover I can find. All-night rides have taught me that it's generally not
a good idea to vault over guard rails in the dark, they're usually there
for a reason.

Women have a harder time, but the one's I know that do distance riding a
lot get creative.
Old June 8th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Art Harris

"recycled" wrote:

*When riding in the country and you find you haven't quite eliminated all
the water through sweat. How far off the road do you go?

There are definite advantages to riding in wooded areas, rather than
flat, open farmland.

Art Harris
Old June 8th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Doc O'Leary[_9_]

In article ,
"recycled" wrote:

Guys only, likely, tho maybe the ladies have an opinion:

When riding in the country and you find you haven't quite eliminated all
the water through sweat. How far off the road do you go?

Until I can hear a tree falling in the forest.

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, ono.com,
and probably your server, too.
Old June 8th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jun 8, 6:44*am, "recycled" wrote:
*Guys only, likely, tho maybe the ladies have an opinion:

*When riding in the country and you find you haven't quite eliminated all
the water through sweat. How far off the road do you go?

hell I just turn my back to the traffic and try to be discrete, if
anyone honks I wave an appendage; I really don't care- it's the
mosquitoes that are to be avoided
Old June 8th 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
Peter Cole considered Mon, 08 Jun 2009
14:17:40 GMT the perfect time to write:

recycled wrote:
[...]

We are lucky enough to have a reasonable number of hedges, but failing
that, the bike the other side of the road trick is handy.
People don't seem to take offence as long as some attempt is made to
be discreet, even if it's just facing away from traffic.
Watch out for the wind direction though - park the bike on the upwind
side of the road, so you can pee downwind on the other side

I've heard that women have been known to find the traditional cycle
cape a useful accessory

Community standards & laws vary, & I'm one to err on the side of caution
in these matters. In olden days, "indecent exposure" or the equivalent
was the concern. I found out, as part of my park patrol volunteer gig,
that our local policies had been changed, and the only people who would
get busted for exposure were the ones judged to be doing it
deliberately. Nice to know, one doesn't want to take a leak & wind up
registered as a sex offender. Legalities aside, I vote for as much
modesty as possible.
Old June 10th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 22:15:58 -0700, Bill Baka

On Jun 8, 6:44 am, "recycled" wrote:
Guys only, likely, tho maybe the ladies have an opinion:

When riding in the country and you find you haven't quite eliminated all
the water through sweat. How far off the road do you go?

hell I just turn my back to the traffic and try to be discrete, if
anyone honks I wave an appendage; I really don't care- it's the
mosquitoes that are to be avoided

In this respect I am lucky enough to sweat out most of my water and only
sometimes have to pee after I get up into the mountains where there are
plenty of places.
Getting bit by a mosquito has happened to me, in the most personal part.
Sometimes I can go on a 12 hour ride and not have to go until I get home
and relax for an hour or so. I think my kidneys go to sleep during any
serious exercise.

Bill Baka

I think there's something to that. The body does seem to know that
we're doing physical work here so don't fill the bladder. Sort of
counterintuitive though; I would think the body is producing more
waste products and would need to get them out.

I have a 15 mile commute and I don't think I've ever had to stop to
pee. If I stop at the Taco Bell at the halfway mark I am more likely
to need to find somewhere to poop but even that is rare. Taco Bell
definitely has the side effect.

Old June 10th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

wrote:
In this respect I am lucky enough to sweat out most of my water and only
sometimes have to pee after I get up into the mountains where there are
plenty of places.
Getting bit by a mosquito has happened to me, in the most personal part.
Sometimes I can go on a 12 hour ride and not have to go until I get home
and relax for an hour or so. I think my kidneys go to sleep during any
serious exercise.

Bill Baka

I think there's something to that. The body does seem to know that
we're doing physical work here so don't fill the bladder. Sort of
counterintuitive though; I would think the body is producing more
waste products and would need to get them out.

I always took it as your body prioritizing. It figures it needs that water
more as coolant than waste elimination. I also think the body puts digestion
at a lower priority when engaged in heavy exercise: thus less waste
processed. Ergo not so much pee. And finally I wonder if the body can use
perspiration to eliminate at least some waste that would normally go via the
kidneys and bladder?

Interesting tidbit. I tend to listen to lectures on mp3. One on anatomy and
organ functions had a Cliff Claven 'Little known fact'. The water used but
the body to process waste is 99% recycled. IOW of the water used to turn
food into poop and pee your body recovers and reuses 99% of it.

Make of that tidbit what you will.

I have a 15 mile commute and I don't think I've ever had to stop to
pee. If I stop at the Taco Bell at the halfway mark I am more likely
to need to find somewhere to poop but even that is rare. Taco Bell
definitely has the side effect.

Not to be indelicate but in August weather I sweat like a pig. Never really
noticed much in the way of salt stains on my shirt but for once. I swear it
was like a car fender in a Canadian winter. Dunno why it was so noticeable
that one particular ride.

Ma Nature graham UK 4 April 20th 07 11:12 PM
Conference Call with Dick Pound Call 1-800-670-3547 Joe King Racing 0 September 14th 06 10:54 AM
OT-ish: divorced from nature Tracksterman Mountain Biking 7 February 27th 06 03:04 PM