The perfect recumbent?

Old June 9th 09, 03:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
JimmyMac

Default The perfect recumbent?

On Jun 8, 5:48*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"JimmyMac" wrote in message

On Jun 4, 6:11 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"JimmyMac" wrote in message

On Jun 3, 5:14 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

Poor JimmyMac took a few logic courses in college and never recovered
from
it. It is why I have him at a permanent disadvantage. All he knows how
do
is to argue around the edges whereas I go to the heart of the matter.
You are contradicting what you once wrote ... "Jim McNamara of this

newsgroup can help you with your logical thinking as he is an expert
on the subject." *I may not be an expert, but I am certainly light
years beyond your ability when it comes to reasoning and the art of
debate.

Knowing something about the subject of logic and being able to employ it are
two different things.

Agree. ... so ,when are you going to learn about logic and then employ
(apply) it??? LIke you, yourself said .. I could help you with your
logical thinking, but you must take that first step and be willing to
learn.

[...]

An opinion can only be refuted by a better opinion, not by a
presentation
of
some usually irrelevant and trivial facts.
PURE CRAP ... and opinion cannot refute another opinion, *Do you not

know the definition of the word there Conan the Librarian???

Some opinions are better than others. Even a moron knows that much.

Well put ... MORON!!! Everybody who, unlike yourself, isn't a moron,
knows otherwise.

[...]

Your average person does not want
to argue nor does he know how.
An that is precisely what make you so very AVERAGE. *Although I

realize that this is very likely just a waste of time, I will try this
one more time to see if any of it sinks into that thick head of
yours. *A fact is a pragmatic truth which can be verified and
confirmed as opposed to perception, belief or opinion which, though
held to be true, is not amenable to confirmation. *A fact exists
independent the of mind and that means everyone except the most
contentious of persons (like you ... DOLAN) would readily acknowledge
and be in agreement about it ... like temperature, for instance.
Measurable, temperature is a fact and is not subject to
interpretation. *Interpretation is basically a conception based on
belief and/or judgment. *It's basically your opinion. *As valid as an
opinion may seem to be and as strongly as an opinion is may be held,
it is little more than an interpretation conceived to fit the facts as
perceived. *You often offer your perceptions as if fact when you are
merely stating nothing more than opinion. *Opinion is not a fact and
that's a fact no matter what kind of spin you attempt to put on
it.

No one will know what to think of a fact until it has been properly
interpreted and put in a proper context. Facts by themselves are
meaningless.

In your opinion stated as fact you mean. Through obfuscation, you
obscure the very distinct difference between fact and opinion ...
always have and always will.

That is what education is all about, not the learning of
endless facts, but rather how to think about facts. Very many students of
science lose interest because they quickly become submerged in a sea of
facts without any overall view of how to put the facts together so as to
make some sense of them.

I gave up the study of geology back in the 60's when I was at college
because I could not make any sense out of the facts of the different epochs
or of the facts that form the earth's surface (mountain building for
instance). Recent advances in the geological sciences now pretty much
explain the formerly mysterious facts.

If the theory of plate tectonics had existed back then I would perhaps have
become a geologist instead of a gadfly. It is the same in biology. None of
it makes any sense without a theory to explain the facts.

You stand in testimony to the notion that you can't teach an old dog

new tricks.

As a former college librarian I am only too well aware of the universe of
facts. That is why I have a proper contempt for them. Anyone who worships
facts is a fool. It is the besetting sin of technological types.

*It is pity really because it is
argumentation
that makes the world go around.

You have often indicated that no matter whether right or wrong, you
love to argue. You seem to think the world revolves around you and
hangs on your every thought and word. You are ego-centric in the
extreme, afflicted with an exaggerated sense of self-importance.
That's your self-image (read opinion). Then again, you've often
stated that you are all about opinion and opinion is not synonymous
with FACT!!! If you have learned nothing from this give and take (and
it appears you have not), at least profit by that bit of wisdom.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old June 9th 09, 11:27 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
On Jun 8, 5:48 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]
As a former college librarian I am only too well aware of the universe of
facts. That is why I have a proper contempt for them. Anyone who worships
facts is a fool. It is the besetting sin of technological types.

You have often indicated that no matter whether right or wrong, you

love to argue. You seem to think the world revolves around you and
hangs on your every thought and word. You are ego-centric in the
extreme, afflicted with an exaggerated sense of self-importance.
That's your self-image (read opinion). Then again, you've often
stated that you are all about opinion and opinion is not synonymous
with FACT!!! If you have learned nothing from this give and take (and
it appears you have not), at least profit by that bit of wisdom.

It is undeniable that I am Great which is why I am universally known
throughout the world as Ed Dolan the Great.
It is OK to revere Me, but not necessary to worship Me.

An opinion can only be opposed by another opinion. Facts do not have
anything to do with it. I can dispose of facts as easily as a duck sheds
water.

Old June 11th 09, 04:06 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
JimmyMac

On Jun 9, 5:27*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"JimmyMac" wrote in message

[...]

You'll suffocate if you hold your breath expecting either. A single
word just about sums you up ... SELF-ABSORBED!!!!!

An opinion can only be opposed by another opinion. Facts do not have
anything to do with it. I can dispose of facts as easily as a duck sheds
water.

This fallacious tenet has already been refuted numerous times. but by
all mean feel free to take delight in self-deception. Discussion is
now closed.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

The perfect recumbent? JimmyMac Techniques 355 June 11th 09 04:06 PM
The perfect recumbent? JimmyMac General 1 June 3rd 09 10:52 PM
Perfect Day. juggle508 Unicycling 6 October 30th 05 05:12 PM
RR: The Perfect Day Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 6 January 3rd 05 04:38 PM
The perfect UPD! Mikefule Unicycling 7 August 1st 04 09:36 PM