The Doughboy Diaries

Old September 13th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
matabala

Default The Doughboy Diaries

The first sentence of today's entry reads, "I am getting better and I hope
to improve more today and tommorrow." Can someone please explain to me how
you can "get better" after 16 stages of a Grand Tour? He says he "can
definately feel my body responding well". Who would have thought a meal
and massage could work such wonders?

Old September 13th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"matabala" wrote in message
The first sentence of today's entry reads, "I am getting better and I hope
to improve more today and tommorrow." Can someone please explain to me
how you can "get better" after 16 stages of a Grand Tour? He says he "can
definately feel my body responding well". Who would have thought a meal
and massage could work such wonders?

What happened in the last Grand Tour after 16 stages?

Old September 13th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
gds

Carl Sundquist wrote:
"matabala" wrote in message
The first sentence of today's entry reads, "I am getting better and I hope
to improve more today and tommorrow." Can someone please explain to me
how you can "get better" after 16 stages of a Grand Tour? He says he "can
definately feel my body responding well". Who would have thought a meal
and massage could work such wonders?

What happened in the last Grand Tour after 16 stages?

Are you suggesting that TD copied FL's "acclimatization" techniques?

Old September 13th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"gds" wrote in message
ups.com...

Carl Sundquist wrote:
"matabala" wrote in message
The first sentence of today's entry reads, "I am getting better and I
hope
to improve more today and tommorrow." Can someone please explain to me
how you can "get better" after 16 stages of a Grand Tour? He says he
"can
definately feel my body responding well". Who would have thought a
meal
and massage could work such wonders?

What happened in the last Grand Tour after 16 stages?

Are you suggesting that TD copied FL's "acclimatization" techniques?

No, although I can understand how you could interpret it that way. Actually
I was just noting the irony of improvement on stage 17.

FWIW, some riders are recognized for getting stronger/fitter toward the end
of a long stage race, Ullrich being the most recent and noteworthy example.

Old September 13th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
matabala

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

"gds" wrote in message
ups.com...

Carl Sundquist wrote:
"matabala" wrote in message
[...]

More irony perhaps given Mr. Jan's current problems?

Old September 13th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

matabala wrote:
The first sentence of today's entry reads, "I am getting better and I hope
to improve more today and tommorrow." Can someone please explain to me how
you can "get better" after 16 stages of a Grand Tour? He says he "can
definately feel my body responding well". Who would have thought a meal
and massage could work such wonders?

Greg Demgen? Dougboy?

Old September 13th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

Carl Sundquist wrote:
"gds" wrote in message
ups.com...

Carl Sundquist wrote:
"matabala" wrote in message
The first sentence of today's entry reads, "I am getting better and I
hope
to improve more today and tommorrow." Can someone please explain to me
how you can "get better" after 16 stages of a Grand Tour? He says he
"can
definately feel my body responding well". Who would have thought a
meal
and massage could work such wonders?

What happened in the last Grand Tour after 16 stages?

Are you suggesting that TD copied FL's "acclimatization" techniques?

No, although I can understand how you could interpret it that way. Actually
I was just noting the irony of improvement on stage 17.

FWIW, some riders are recognized for getting stronger/fitter toward the end
of a long stage race, Ullrich being the most recent and noteworthy example.

There only needs to be an improvement relative to the others for it to
feel like he's getting better. That's not the same as getting better
absolutely.

Bret

Old September 14th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On 13 Sep 2006 11:49:53 -0700, "Bret" wrote:

Carl Sundquist wrote:
"gds" wrote in message
ups.com...

Carl Sundquist wrote:
"matabala" wrote in message
[...]

Besides, telling yourself crap like that sometimes helps.

Ron
Old September 14th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

wrote:
matabala wrote:
The first sentence of today's entry reads, "I am getting better and I hope
to improve more today and tommorrow." Can someone please explain to me how
you can "get better" after 16 stages of a Grand Tour? He says he "can
definately feel my body responding well". Who would have thought a meal
and massage could work such wonders?

Greg Demgen? Dougboy?

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/origindb.htm

A. The Coinage of Doughboy
For us today, and maybe for all Americans who will follow, the
Doughboys were the men America sent to France in the Great War, who
licked Kaiser Bill and fought to make the world safe for Democracy.

The expression doughboy, though, was in wide circulation a century
before the First World War in both Britain and America, albeit with
some very different meanings. Horatio Nelson's sailors and Wellington's
soldiers in Spain were both familiar with fried flour dumplings called
doughboys, the predecessor of the modern doughnut that both we and the
Doughboys of World War I came to love. Because of the occasional
contact of the two nation's armed force and transatlantic migration, it
seems likely that this usage was known to the members of the U.S. Army
by the early 19th century.

That might cover Jan but I can't think of any other racer it includes.
Bill C