Bike to Work testimonial videos

Old April 19th 07, 01:25 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Arvey

Default Bike to Work testimonial videos

It's not the solution all the time, but it's a nice alternative from
time to time if you can bike to work. Need your help in spreading the
word about Bike to Work this year. Check out the videos.

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2845967
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2845942

Email it to friends to help with our grassroots effort in making this
year's Bike to Work day a success. We appreciate the help.

Old April 22nd 07, 08:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Allyson

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2845967ht.../video/2845942

Email it to friends to help with our grassroots effort in making this
year's Bike to Work day a success. We appreciate the help.

Great videos.

I hope the videos inspire enough people to - even though it requires
some physical activity, and muscle, movement - actually ride a bike
to work.

Regards,
Cullen
http://comatimes.blogspot.com/

Old April 26th 07, 01:41 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Bicycling to work is great but we don't live in a country that respect
cyclists (those of you who live in Tucson or Seattle can ignore that
statement).

As someone who now has a permanent disability from cycling to work, I must
insist on caution. If you live somewhere where you must share the road with
cars (most places) then I don't recommend cycling to work.

Believe me, I wouldn't be unhappy if every car vanished overnight but the
reality is that in the United States, cyclists who share the road with cars
are not safe. I learned that one the hard way.

In a country like Denmark, where there are many fewer cars per capita (its
amazing what a 100% tax can accomplish), they have planned for cyclists and
riding is safe. Here, I'm afraid, it is not.

Jeff
ups.com...

Old April 26th 07, 01:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon[_2_]

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
[...] the reality is that in the United States, cyclists who share the
road with
cars are not safe. I learned that one the hard way.

In a country like Denmark, where there are many fewer cars per capita (its
amazing what a 100% tax can accomplish), they have planned for cyclists
and riding is safe. Here, I'm afraid, it is not.

Safety is relative, of course. For fatalies per hour of exposure, bicycling
is
*safer than travelling by car*. [ see table below]

Of course, in many places, it wil take longer to go by bike than by car,
so the risk exposure for a particular trip is greater. And certainly, in
*many places*, drivers do not expect, do not respect bicyclists, and
certain types of bicycling may be riskier.

There are many things we could do, should do, to promote bicycling
and improve safety. Some countries do accomplish this better than US.

Still, statistics showing 1 fatality per 4,000,000 hours or bicycling
doesn't
make it seem "unsafe" to me. Given my ratio of car-time to bike-time, I'm
more "at risk" in my car than on my bike even though I spend may more
time on the bike than in the car many weeks. And this doesn't address
the health benefits that may result from cycling...

*None of this* reduces the cost or effect of serious injuries from a
bicycle accident to the people involved. I know a number of people
dead or seriously injured from car accidents, too, though. If there
were fewer cars and safer bike routes for commuting then we'd be
much better off, in my opinion.

Jon Meinecke

fatalities
Activity per million hrs
-------- ---------------
Skydiving 128.71
General Aviation 15.58
On-road Motorcycling 8.80
Scuba Diving 1.98
Living (all causes of death) 1.53
Swimming 1.07
Snowmobiling .88
Passenger cars .47
Water skiing .28
Bicycling .26
Flying (scheduled domestic airlines) .15
Hunting .08
Cosmic Radiation from transcont. flights .035
Home Living (active) .027
Traveling in a School Bus .022
Passenger Car Post-collision fire .017
Home Living, active & passive (sleeping) .014
Residential Fire .003

Compiled by Failure Analysis Associates, Inc. (Design News, 10-4-93)
http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/comparat.html

Old May 10th 07, 01:46 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Arvey

On Apr 26, 5:10 am, "Jon" wrote:
[...]

Don't forget that Bike to Work Day is coming up in the next week or so
in many areas around the country. It's just a goodwill gesture I'm
trying to promote. I live in San Francisco which is pretty friendly
to bicycling and a place of beauty where view makes biking such a joy.