make a home made uni

Old March 15th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default make a home made uni

is it possible to make a home made uni???????????????
i dont have much money and i would like a new one
post if you ever did

--
unicycle dave
unicycle dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10416

Old March 15th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

What do you mean by "home made?" Do you have a machine shop in your
garage? You'll need a lathe to turn the hub, a mill to make the
splines / square taper, a punch / press to make the seatbase and
bearing holders (unless you're really good with the mill), a welder to
stitch things together... and on and on.

Having the machines, you'll likely need to buy specific tooling for the
jobs... make jigs for assembly... integrate premade parts into your
design (who's gonna make their own bearings?)... buy materials above
and beyond what you need for production (to account for prototypes,
mistakes, etc.)

Even if you buy the hub, pedals, spokes and rim premade, you're already
spending quite a bit of money. You'll definitely end up spend a lot
more time than the few minutes spent clicking around Unicycle.com to
find a pre-built unicycle.

All this being said, it's totally possible to build your own unicycle.
I've built (and since thrown away) a frame out of scrap steel.
Gerblefranklin built a spankin' aluminum trials frame himself and rides
it to this day. Handles and seatpost / seatbase mods are quite popular
garage projects, requiring very little machinery / tooling to produce.
There are even a few engineer types floating around these fora who make
(or have made) splined hub / cranksets, carbon fiber seats / handles,
titanium components... but they have access to fully equipped machine
shops.

Why not start with a pre-made unicycle that you can afford then make
some mods for it? This way you get some idea of what goes into making
a unicycle better, while having something to ride at the same time.
Start with making your own handle or seatbase reinforcement. Move onto
a better seatpost. Then you might be able to put together your own
frame. Build a wheel or two from premade components so you can learn
the subtleties of its design and implementation. The experience of
making the mods will be good "practice" for when you decide to really
put one together from scratch...

Who knows, maybe you'll come up with a mod that everyone will want...
let us know what comes out of your shop!

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Old March 16th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I agree it is more expensive to build your own but I still do it
anyhow.
I have built quite a few in my time and am rideing my newest one still
and am planning on a modified version of it with some small design
changes.

I prefer to build them that way I don't have a cookie cutter uni.

--
X51
X51's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10707

Old March 16th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I think Jason is right. Yeah, building a unicycle at "home" is possible,
it just takes an extraordinary home. Not many homes are equipped with a
full compliment of welders and machine tools.

It's a big deal to make any unicycle parts one-off. The fastest metal
part I ever made for a unicycle was a handle reinforcer/brake mount set
for Jason and myself. Each one took ~20 minutes. My BC plates were
similar. Those were also the only 3 parts I ever made that were cheaper
to make than to buy. Custom fabrication is slow and inefficient, at
best. It's far more expensive than buying ready made parts in most
cases.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

Old March 16th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

that's a old unicycle that made at home
'[image: http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/1857/monopapi7pn.th.jpg]'
(http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?i...onopapi7pn.jpg)

--
recommanded poster

samiaul who want good speak english!!
recommanded poster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11460

Old March 16th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

recommanded poster wrote:
that's a old unicycle that made at home

You built it sideways...

--
paco

Blah Blah Blah BACON Blah Blah Blah
--Harper a-la Catboy

768
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old March 16th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I built my own for about the cost of buying one of similar quality. It
rides great and I'm still really proud of it. Here it is;
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44064

To be sure, building an entire uni would be very expensive and
difficult. I just built the frame. Hub, wheel, cranks, seat, etc.
were all purchased and bolted on. The frame is still something that
will require some machining and/or welding. I still highly recommend
it. It's fun and gratifying.

--
underdog

'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

Old November 21st 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The Extremist

how would you build a hub for the unicyle? do you just buy a standard
bicycle hub and convert it somehow?

--
The Extremist

PRACTISE, PRACTISE and even more PRACTISE.
Old November 21st 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Eddbmxdude

Woah! I thought Paco was back for a second there!

--
Eddbmxdude

"I guess it's just a good thing you didn't include the footage of us
snorting cocaine from the thighs of prostitutes eh Edd." - Boogie

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

"Unicycling only makes you look like a freak when you're riding." -
Unisteve
Old November 21st 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SHAY_CAM

The Extremist;1134814 wrote:
how would you build a hub for the unicyle? do you just buy a standard
bicycle hub and convert it somehow?

Keyways.

--
SHAY_CAM