V-Rex Seat Suggestions?

Old April 13th 07, 10:57 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default V-Rex Seat Suggestions?

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 7, 8:27 pm, Mr. Ed Dolan the Grate wrote:
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote

The general consensus is that hard-shell "Euro" seats do not work well
on recumbents with a fairly upright seating position such as the RANS
V-Rex.

Almost all SWB's will have a seat that you can adjust for the lay back.
Since the crank on all SWB's is fairly high to begin with, there is no
such
thing as a "fairly upright seating positions" (except on that confounded
Lightning P-38). There are other reasons however to avoid a hard-shell
seat
unless you have an iron butt....

E.D. reveals that he must not have ridden a bike with a typical
European hard-shell seat. These only work well if the rider is
reclined far enough back that a substantial portion of the rider's
weight is supported by his/her back - certainly not the case on a RANS
V-Rex, Rocket, any Lightning [1], or the 406-mm/559-mm wheel stick SWB
bikes.

I personally would not want to ride on one of these hard-shell seats
for any distance unless the seat back was 30° or less from the
horizontal.

Edward Dolan wrote:

Yes, once you get the seat laid back sufficiently they can be OK no matter
what material they are made of. But the fact remains that most LWB bikes
with a low crank will not permit the seat to be laid back much. I believe
all such bikes now come with a mesh seat. Those old Cobra seats on Easy
Racers were murder.

I believe you can get the seat laid back sufficiently on all the RANS SWB
bikes so that a hard shell seat with some cushioning would work, but not the
Lightning P-38. I do like to be laid back quite a bit, but not to the extent
that I am getting neck strain. 30 degrees is too much for me.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old April 13th 07, 11:07 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Freewheeling" wrote in message
gotbent wrote:
"Freewheeling" wrote in message
Gotbent, Perry, and Tom:

Thanks for all the great suggestions, folks! I'm thinking I'll probably
go the Bachetta seat route. I like Mark and Rich's design orientation,
and I've already got some of the Bachetta gear installed. Maybe they'll
give me a good deal on a seat, for old time sake. I'm also not too sure
what a "Rad-Loc" is, or whether it'd be useful to install the adapter on
my bike. As I recall, the Bachetta seat mount is a whole different
thing, designed to grab that bigger tube stock.

I've also had an operation recently, turning my ":" into a ";", if you
know what I mean. I've had some complications that aren't serious, but
just uncomfortable. In view of that I should probably wait until the
complications settle down and then do some riding to judge what seat
position and type works best for me.

--Scott

The Rad-loc is the latest (post 2002?) RANS seat mount. It is a band and
toggle clamp arrangement that requires a different seat rail (extruded or
machined shape, not bent sheet metal). The B clamp is designed to go
around the ovalized tube that B uses, not at all compatible with RANS.
Also B uses part of the seatbase as part of the clamp, consequently the
seat base deflects as you tighten their clamp and their seat slips too.
If you root around the homebuilders fora (like the one at
www.recumbents.com) there are probably some articles about transferring
seat mounts between species. It's just not rocket science, or even more
than barely acceptable design practice, or both companies would have seat
mounts that don't rely on friction to resist pedalling thrust reaction.

So some guys report recumbutt, but do I understand your problem as
recumnuts? Just keep wearing that suspensary and soak your nutsack in ice
a few times a day. After a while they stop looking like a grapefruit.

Nope, that's not my problem. I had a colonectomy, which has caused some
inflammation and thrombosis "down south". In theory it'll go away
eventually. I guess I shouldn't have used the actual graphic punctuation
marks. Had I just said "turned my colon into a semicolon" it might have
been clearer. Thanks again for the advice.

Good grief, what did you have - colon cancer? I think as long as it has not
spread you will be OK, but still it must be a nuisance not to have a fully
functioning colon.

All of my problems have to do with the g.d. prostate gland. How can one
organ cause so much trouble. Well, I had the radiation, both internal and
external, and so far it has not come back. But the bladder problem you get
with radiation never goes away.

Best Regards,

Old April 21st 07, 05:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Slo Joe Recumbo

On Apr 4, 4:09 pm, Freewheeling wrote:
Gotbent, Perry, and Tom:

Thanks for all the great suggestions, folks! I'm thinking I'll probably
go the Bachetta seat route. I like Mark and Rich's design orientation,
and I've already got some of the Bachetta gear installed. Maybe they'll
give me a good deal on a seat, for old time sake. I'm also not too sure
what a "Rad-Loc" is, or whether it'd be useful to install the adapter on
my bike. As I recall, the Bachetta seat mount is a whole different
thing, designed to grab that bigger tube stock.

I've also had an operation recently, turning my ":" into a ";", if you
know what I mean. I've had some complications that aren't serious, but
just uncomfortable. In view of that I should probably wait until the
complications settle down and then do some riding to judge what seat
position and type works best for me.

--Scott

Scott..

Haven't been here in ages and just happened to see this post.

On BROL you can see how the Bacchetta EuroMesh seat looks. It's a
piece of cake to install. If you want more information and some pics
email me at RandoChina AT yahoo DOT com I can show you pics of how
easy it is to modify the bottom of the EuroMesh seat to fit on the V-
REX. Also, you will/should cut the bottom most zip tie and remove it
to allow the EM seat to tilt back as much as you want.

I'm having the VREX made into a travel bike by having it S&S coupled.

I don't frequent this board, so if you do need/want more info, feel
free to write to me at that email address.

Tailwinds

Slo Joe

Old April 21st 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Apr 21, 11:28 am, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:
I don't frequent this board, so if you do need/want more info, feel
free to write to me at that email address.

This is a Usenet newsgroup, not a message board.

Old April 21st 07, 07:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Slo Joe Recumbo

On Apr 21, 1:56 pm, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
wrote:
On Apr 21, 11:28 am, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:

I don't frequent this board, so if you do need/want more info, feel
free to write to me at that email address.

This is a Usenet newsgroup, not a message board.

Tom, just offering the gentleman some help. If you don't agree with
offering someone help, that's your choice.

Old April 21st 07, 07:26 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

wrote:
On Apr 21, 11:28 am, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:

I don't frequent this board, so if you do need/want more info, feel
free to write to me at that email address.

This is a Usenet newsgroup, not a message board.

Tom, just offering the gentleman some help. If you don't agree with
offering someone help, that's your choice.

Point one (1) - I did offer a couple of suggestions in response to the
original post.

Point two (2) - My contention that this is a Usenet newsgroup and not
a message board is factually correct.

Old April 21st 07, 07:38 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Slo Joe Recumbo

wrote:
On Apr 21, 11:28 am, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:

I don't frequent this board, so if you do need/want more info, feel
free to write to me at that email address.

This is a Usenet newsgroup, not a message board.

Tom, just offering the gentleman some help. If you don't agree with
offering someone help, that's your choice.

Point one (1) - I did offer a couple of suggestions in response to the
original post.

Point two (2) - My contention that this is a Usenet newsgroup and not
a message board is factually correct.

okay..so what's your point?

Old April 21st 07, 07:51 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Slo Joe Recumbo

(SNIP)

Point two (2) - My contention that this is a Usenet newsgroup and not
a message board is factually correct.

Not exactly. There are numerous definitions that liken a newsgroup to
a message board. Have fun reading

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...ition&ct=title

Old April 23rd 07, 05:46 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

wrote:
On Apr 21, 11:28 am, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:

I don't frequent this board, so if you do need/want more info, feel
free to write to me at that email address.

This is a Usenet newsgroup, not a message board.

Tom, just offering the gentleman some help. If you don't agree with
offering someone help, that's your choice.

Point one (1) - I did offer a couple of suggestions in response to the
original post.

Point two (2) - My contention that this is a Usenet newsgroup and not
a message board is factually correct.

okay..so what's your point?

"Free range" and "factory farm"?

Old April 23rd 07, 06:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

On Apr 21, 1:51 pm, Slo Joe Recumbo wrote:
(SNIP)

Point two (2) - My contention that this is a Usenet newsgroup and not
a message board is factually correct.

Not exactly. There are numerous definitions that liken a newsgroup to
a message board. Have fun reading

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...2,GGLR:en&defl...

Usenet being a distributed system makes it fundamentally different
from a unitary message board and definitions that conflate the two are
wrong.