Slime Self Healing PV Road Tube?!?!

Old May 2nd 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Prisoner at War

Default Slime Self Healing PV Road Tube?!?!

The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???

Also, has anyone any experience with gluelss patch kits? How are
they, how do they work?

TIA!

Old May 2nd 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Pista[_2_]

We still use traditional tubes, because a single Slime tube will weigh
more than a pair of tires AND standard tubes combined.

Just use Tufo tubulars - most reliable tire ever and the reason I still
ride on tubulars on all of my bikes, including my mountain bike.

If you don't use standard tubular rimes, you can also get almost all of
their tires in a clincher version. The tire does not contain a tube at
all, and uses a sealant (absolutely nothing like the slime compound) to
fill punctures. I am on the bike 20 hours a week and have been using
Tufo tires for over 15 years. In all that time, I have never, ever had
a flat tire - except for almost every race where I am not allowed to use
Tufo's.

Any shop can order them from the distributor in Canada, or from Airo
International in California.

Old May 2nd 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Prisoner at War wrote:
The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???

Also, has anyone any experience with gluelss patch kits? How are
they, how do they work?

TIA!

Dear P & P,

A road Slime tube weighs 180 grams--see the specs tab. Two of them
weigh 360 grams:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5411

A road tube of similar thickness weighs 117 grams--again, see the
specs tab. Two of them weigh 234 grams:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5411

You can get lighter Slime tubes and light ordinary tubes, but this is
enough to make the point--a pair of Slime tubes adds a total of about
126 grams to a 700c bicycle and rider.

A 158-lb rider and an 18-lb bicycle weigh 80,000 grams. Replacing the
ordinary tubes with Slime tubes adds 126 grams.

126 / 80,000 = 0.1575%

It is doubtful that any rider can detect a 0.1575% total weight
difference while actually riding.

Slime tubes are not popular for several reasons:

1) Exaggerated fears of weight penalties--see above.

2) Fuss and trouble with the tire valve and air pressure gauges. The
green Slime and wispy white fibers can clog things.

3) Exaggerated expectations concerning sealants. Slime works best at
sealing pinhole punctures from goathead thorns, not at sealing larger
punctures and punctures higher up the sidewall.

4) Most of all, few riders suffer enough flats to see much benefit.

I use Slime tubes because goathead punctures are about as common where
I live in Pueblo, Colorado, as rain is in Seattle. I don't carry a
rain jacket on my daily ride, so I can understand why few Seattle
riders bother with Slime tubes.

So far this year, I've had only 8 flats in 87 fifteen-mile rides, all
from goatheads. About half the time, I find the flat tire the next day
and can fix it in the comfort of my garage because the Slime let it
hold pressure.

Slime tubes probably aren't worth the trouble for glass, nails, rock
chips, and big thorns.

But I find Slime tubes darned useful for goathead pinholes.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 2nd 07, 08:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Prisoner at War wrote:
The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???

I have punctures about once every two years on average: it just isn't
worth it for me. The sort of thing that will get through a Marathon and
let a tyre down is quite possibly past slime's capabilities in any case.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 2nd 07, 09:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Zoot Katz

On 1 May 2007 22:20:17 -0700, Prisoner at War
wrote of Slime:

The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???

A blowout will clearly demonstrate why many people hate that stuff.
Suddenly you've got sticky green crud all over everything.

A flatted tire full of Slime squirms like a bare rim on pavement.
--
zk
Old May 2nd 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Kerry Montgomery

Prisoner at War wrote:
The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???

Also, has anyone any experience with gluelss patch kits? How are
they, how do they work?

TIA!

Pista,
Which races won't let you use Tufos, and why?
Thanks,
Kerry

Old May 2nd 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Prisoner at War wrote:
The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???

Also, has anyone any experience with gluelss patch kits? How are
they, how do they work?

TIA!

Pista,
Which races won't let you use Tufos, and why?
Thanks,
Kerry

Dear Kerry,

The same races where anyone who doesn't use Tufos with sealant added
gets flats "almost every" time.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 3rd 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
kwalters

Prisoner at War wrote:

[...]

I like Slime Ultralite tubes. They don't have the white, whispy fibers.
They are a little heavier than regular light tubes but have a nice high
collar around the stem. Stem/tube separation has never been a problem as
it has with so many other Presta tubes I have use. I don't, however,
like the Slime itself, so I remove the valve core and squeeze out as
much of the Slime as I can, and just take my chances with goatheads. The
Slime is quite toxic to grass, BTW.

Ken

Old May 3rd 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Wed, 02 May 2007 23:27:47 -0600, kwalters

Prisoner at War wrote:

[...]

Dear Ken,

Glad to hear that you found something that suits you, even if it takes
modification.

As for killing the grass, practically any thick but non-toxic liqud
will kill grass if not hosed off.

Slime itself is edible.

The page that I used to link to on the Slime site has vanished, but
your ice cream probably contains Slime's chief ingredient, propylene
glycol:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...c61c2231186e6b

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 4th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mike Kruger

wrote:

Slime itself is edible.

How's it compare to a Powerbar?