Campy 9 Spd Ergos with Shimano 7 Spd Cluster

Old July 15th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

Default Campy 9 Spd Ergos with Shimano 7 Spd Cluster

Hi there.

A while back there was a thread talking about using 9 speed Campagnolo
Ergo levers with a 7 speed Shimano cluster and a modern Shimano rear
derailleur. I recently re-built an old 1980's Miele Uno bicycle using
such a set up plus a triple crankset. I find the shifting to be be
most excellent and I have uploaded three images of that bike to
Flickr. The brake calipers are 1980's era Shimano 600. If you are
interested and want to see the images the link to them is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/?saved=1

I also uploaded two images of another 1980's era Miele I rebuilt and
repainted. That one has Tange Infinity cro-moly tubing, modern 9 speed
Dura Ace bar-end shifters and a 1980's era Dura Ace 7 speed rear
derailleur. The crankset is a 1980's Campagnolo Record with 42 and 52
teeth chainrings attached to a 2001 Veloce sealed cartridge bottom
bracket. The brake calipers are 1980's era Shimano Exage. At the
moment I am running Schwalbe 32mm cyclo-cross tires on it. I'll be
putting 25mm tires and tubes on it in August. The images of that
bicycle are the first two images at the top of the page.

Thanks again to all those who told me about this possibility and to
those who also gave their advice.

Cheers from Peter