Torygraph argues that driving crime is not real crime...

Old August 29th 04, 02:41 AM
Gawnsoft

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:49:07 +0100, "Melanie" wrote
(more or less):

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Melanie" typed

Cars only go on the path by mistake

This statement is untrue in the world I inhabit.

I nearly wrote "which world is that" but thought you'd be offended so
decided not to. Have you seen cars driving along the path between people
like bikes do?

You mean on two wheels? Not yet, but I suspect that one day...

--
Cheers,
Euan
Old August 29th 04, 02:43 AM
Gawnsoft

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:54:31 +0100, "Melanie" wrote (more or less):

Cars only go on the path with people by mistake.

You've said this before, and it was pointed out that you were wrong
then.

Why do you insist on repeated such discredited nonsense?

Old August 29th 04, 10:53 AM
Mark Mcn

Reply to Andy Leighton
However [Healey] deserves to be remembered for his
description of Maggie Thatcher ["she adds the diplomacy of Alf Garnett to
the economics of Arthur Daley"] even if he had done nothing else.

Top bloke (and he apparently used to cycle a bit as well). He added a
phrase to the language when he compared being attacked by Sir Geoffrey
Howe to being savaged by a dead sheep.

Favourite Healey story, if I remember it right:

The young Prince Charles had been invited to lunch at Downing Street
with Wilson's cabinet, and promptly made the mistake of attacking
Denis Healey for joining the Communist Party in his youth. Healey
bided his time until later on, when Charles was going on about being
the heir to the throne: "I mean, one day I'll be head of state - it's
a great responsibility..." Healey leant forward, and gravely said:

"Well, you should have thought of that before you joined!"

--
Mark, UK.
We hope to hear him swear, we love to hear him squeak,
Old August 29th 04, 10:53 AM
Mark Mcn

Reply to Andy Leighton
Have you never really heard the term "silly billy"? It has been around for
nearly 150 years although it was most recently popularised by Dennis Healey.

Who I *think* got it off Mike Yarwood. Showing me age, now.

Old August 29th 04, 08:50 PM
Peter Clinch

Melanie wrote:

Carefull or they'll call you a troll

Why? It's a fairly well established fact that the general case is riding
on the pavement is more dangerous than riding on the road. So it's
hardly trolling, any more than telling people their wheels work better
when they're round.

Yes but that does't make it less wrong on bikes

But that's hardly the argument. The argument is that you are in more
danger from cars on pavements than from bikes.

He didn't mean actually no brakes but not good brakes like now

I refer you back to previous arguments about people feeling insulated by
their safety systems in modern cars.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old August 31st 04, 07:05 PM
Alan Braggins

In article , Dave Larrington wrote:
Peter Clinch wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote:

e.g., Israeli helicopter pilot sitting up in his nice, safe
helicopter firing rockets down into a crowded marketplace and then
going home to tea is not a terrorist, Palestinian youth who goes and
blows himself up in a crowded marketplace is a terrorist. I really
cannot see any moral distinction between those two acts.

But the helicopter pilot is just following orders of an
internationally recognised state. So that's all right, then ;-(

And note also that nations which ignore UN resolutions get invaded, er, hang
on...

Only if there's a serious risk they have weapons of mass destruction, er,
hang on...