why bigger tires?

Old July 12th 04, 12:32 PM
Zilla

Default why bigger tires?

pas wrote:
Zilla wrote:
pas wrote:
educate me, discuss or call me an idiot, doesn't matter ;-)

What's the deal with different tire sizes? Tuff grrl keeps telling
I should go bigger, but being the weight weenie and cheapskate I
am, I "just say no". Is there a reason an XC rider would want
bigger tires? More traction, more stability? I always figured
bigger tires were for primarily big hit/DH riders. Do bigger tires
contribute more to trail erosion, or only if skidded?

care to elaborate, any one?

penny

What size tires do you use now?

2.10

For XC riding, my 2.10s (IRC Mythos, and Jones XC) do
fine at 35psi.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old July 12th 04, 01:41 PM
Joe Roach

"pas" wrote in message ...
educate me, discuss or call me an idiot, doesn't matter ;-)

What's the deal with different tire sizes? Tuff grrl keeps telling I should
go bigger, but being the weight weenie and cheapskate I am, I "just say no".
Is there a reason an XC rider would want bigger tires? More traction, more
stability? I always figured bigger tires were for primarily big hit/DH
riders. Do bigger tires contribute more to trail erosion, or only if
skidded?

care to elaborate, any one?

penny

I suspect there is no definitive answer and it's all down to personal
preferences.

After experimenting with a number of set-ups, I've settled for
Panaracer Trail Blasters (sometimes Fire XCs) 1.8s front and back at
50/55 psi. Yes, the ride can be as hard as hell but I find the
handling more stable/predictable on this set up than the wider tyres
and/or lower pressures alternatives. I ride mainly on hard pack (or
at least it was before the onset of the British summer) and mud (the
current summer conditions). If I did a lot of rocks or roots then it
might be different.

I also have a number of trails within 4 miles of home so I ride
on-road to my normal off-road trails which I'll admit encourages me to
put up with the high pressures.

Joe
Old July 12th 04, 04:02 PM
MattB

pas wrote:
educate me, discuss or call me an idiot, doesn't matter ;-)

What's the deal with different tire sizes? Tuff grrl keeps telling I
should go bigger, but being the weight weenie and cheapskate I am, I
"just say no". Is there a reason an XC rider would want bigger tires?
More traction, more stability? I always figured bigger tires were for
primarily big hit/DH riders. Do bigger tires contribute more to trail
erosion, or only if skidded?

care to elaborate, any one?

penny

I'd keep going on your current tires until you need new ones and then
reevaluate. I have Specialized Enduro Pro 2.2's on the SS and Intense System
4 2.25's on my Epic, but those Intense tires are huge for their labeled
size, and are more like 2.3 or even 2.4's.

I'll probably go a little smaller on my next set for the Epic, but the grip
of the Intense tires is really, really good. They are a bit heavy and I
think I'd probably just get the 2.2 Enduros for that bike as well the next
time around.

One more benefit of larger tires (if running tubes) is less likelyhood of a
pinch flat.

In the end it's all about preference, you idiot.

Matt

Old July 12th 04, 06:16 PM
JD

It is a control factor, especially in loose and/or
technical sections. More tire contact = better
cornering, better braking and better high-freq bump
absorption. They may not roll as well, but the
trade-off is well worth it to me for the kind of
riding I mostly do. Experiment a bit. Buy a WTB
Motorpator 2.4 and put it on the front only, ride some
technical stuff that requires a lot of front brake and
see the difference. A few of my friends run a 2.4 up
front and a 2.3-2.1 in back and have great success
with that combo. I prefer the control of the 2.4 Moto
in both front and back. If I'm riding hardpack, I
pump them up over 40 psi so they don't "roll" off of
the rim in hard cornering.

JD
Old July 12th 04, 07:20 PM
miles todd

Slacker wrote:

ZeeExSixAre wrote:

Of course the downside is the weight. Also, more importantly than size
is the tread and sidewall stiffness. Give me a narrower, stiff side
walled, good knobby designed tire over a wide flexy, crappy tread one
any day.

Pliable sidewalls = less rolling resistance.

Here we go...

Stiff sidewalls = better handling

Who cares about rolling resistance if they fold on you?

Slacker - off to the races ;-)

Supple sidewalls = better traction and smoother ride

miles

Old July 12th 04, 08:02 PM
jack

"pas" wrote in message
educate me, discuss or call me an idiot, doesn't matter ;-)

What's the deal with different tire sizes? Tuff grrl keeps telling I

should
go bigger, but being the weight weenie and cheapskate I am, I "just say

no".
Is there a reason an XC rider would want bigger tires? More traction, more
stability? I always figured bigger tires were for primarily big hit/DH
riders. Do bigger tires contribute more to trail erosion, or only if
skidded?

care to elaborate, any one?

penny

Cheaper way of getting more suspension. Especially the front. I like
running big non DH 2.5 tires in the front. I normally run smaller tires in
the back.

Old July 12th 04, 10:32 PM
Christian D. Brown

"JD" wrote in message
om...
It is a control factor, especially in loose and/or
technical sections. More tire contact = better
cornering, better braking and better high-freq bump
absorption. They may not roll as well, but the
trade-off is well worth it to me for the kind of
riding I mostly do. Experiment a bit. Buy a WTB
Motorpator 2.4 and put it on the front only, ride some
technical stuff that requires a lot of front brake and
see the difference. A few of my friends run a 2.4 up
front and a 2.3-2.1 in back and have great success
with that combo. I prefer the control of the 2.4 Moto
in both front and back. If I'm riding hardpack, I
pump them up over 40 psi so they don't "roll" off of
the rim in hard cornering.

JD

Yeah, what he said. I'm one of those guys he put a 2.4 on the front of the
red geared bike, that didn't quite fit on the SS last year, and I love it.
The 2.4 MR almost never breaks loose. Especially steep descents, my front
almost never locks up, and it's nice to be able to use the front brake for
control whilst my hinder parts are being polished by the rear tire.
Cornering, etc. etc. all proves out.

Paladin

Old July 13th 04, 04:32 AM
Slacker

Supple sidewalls = better traction and smoother ride

miles

So whatcha running? And which bike and tire pressures?

--
Slacker
Old July 13th 04, 02:16 PM
Shaun Rimmer

'Cos Shaun aRe runs bigger tyres and says 'it is good'. HTH.

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Old July 13th 04, 04:48 PM
miles todd

Slacker wrote:

Supple sidewalls = better traction and smoother ride

miles

So whatcha running? And which bike and tire pressures?

--
Slacker

2.25 Geax Sedonas (much bigger than the size would indicate) on my Kona
Beer (and my SS, too), at about 22 psi, or something like that.

miles

Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 04:40 PM
bike stability and 32c tires Jack Murphy General 1 December 10th 03 05:19 AM
fatter tires? Mark J. Rosen Mountain Biking 11 December 4th 03 01:45 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 3 July 18th 03 08:18 PM