Upgrade a Lemond Poprad

Old March 1st 05, 02:17 AM
JJ

Default Upgrade a Lemond Poprad

I have a Lemond Poprad coming sight unseen. I want to convert it into a pure
touring bike with a triple, a 32 or 34 cog in the back and also add brifters
to replace the bar end shifters. Currently, it is a 9-speed 12-25 with
doubles up front with the Sora dr package. What do I have to do/buy for the
drivetrain to make this a "world tourer" able to leap tall buildings (or at
least get over anything short of the Alp d'Huez) loaded down with panniers
and a not-so-light rider (225 lbs)?

Old March 1st 05, 03:45 AM
Josh McClure

Well I have done something like this for a customer once before.
For him I used a Shimano XT SGS R der. because of the necessary chain
wrap capacity. Beyond that I installed an XT Cassette for the customer.
If you want to ride a significant amount I would probably recommend an
upgrade on your other component if the balance of your parts is Sora.
Sora is designed for light recreational road riding. I have seen
commuting customers of mine that purchased bikes equipped with Sora
come back to me after a year of hard riding with the pieces just
sloppy.
So as a final list this is what I would get if I were going to make
this into a great tourer.
Shifters: Shimano Ultegra (105 if cash is a problem)
R Der: Shimano XT SGS (this is the long cage version)
F der: Shimano 105
Cassette: Shim XT ( there isn't much cost diff. between XT and LX)
Chain: you will have to replace your chain as yours will not be long
enough. For my customer I had to add a link or two to even a new chain
if my memory serves me right. But I am a big fan of the Sram PC-69
chain.
Crank: TruVativ is doing some good things with their cranksets I would
look into that as they are a little cheaper but of similar quality
specifically the chainrings themselves.

Josh McClure.
Durst Cycles

Old March 3rd 05, 12:49 AM
JJ

Josh, thanks so much for these details. The bike should be here next week
and I'll see what I've got to work with. I'm pretty sure it's Sora equipped
so I'll go the Deore XT route for the r der, they seem pretty reasonable in
price.

Any problem with the BB or with clearance going from two to three rings?

ups.com...

Old March 3rd 05, 02:17 AM
Josh McClure

If the bike currently has only a double, which would make sense if it
was a cyclocross bike, then there are more than a few things that have
to be changed to make it into a 3 ring bike. the first and biggest is
obviously a new crank, unless they send you a crank that has the holes
for a third ring. If you do have to replace the crank you will also
have to replace the BB. Also if the bike is a double the F der will be
for a double as well. so that will have to be changed. And once again
you will need to replace the R der.

An inportant note on this change is you have to be certain that the
chainwrap will not exceed the rear derailler's capacities and the width
of the front deraileur capacity

All Shimano Front Deraillers have a listed capacity of 22T although the
new 10sp stuff must have a listing of 23t because there is a 53-39-30
set. That being said, I have installed a 24t differential (52-40-28)
without problem.

Front derailer width is calculated by (largest chainring - smallest
chainring)

As Rear deraileurs go,
all SGS model Deraillers above Deore have a listed capacity of 43
(XTR,XT and LX have a capacity of 45)
all GS model Derailers have a listed capacity of 37
and all SS model derailers have a listed capacity of 29

These figures like those of the F Der can be safely exceeded by 1 or 2
links

Chain wrap capacity can be calculated (Largest (front) chainring -
smallest (front) chainring) + (largest (rear) cog - smallest (rear)
cog) = chainwrap.

So just do you calculations before you purchase anything and Have fun
riding.

Josh McClure

Old March 9th 05, 09:38 PM
JJ

Bike arrived and is in pretty good shape. I will need to replace the front
rim which is a 700c Mavic Aurora 32 hole. I haven't found a duplicate rim,
wheel or wheelset and wondering what would be similar. What would be good
(and preferably cheap as I'll probably have to get a pair) to either handle
a touring configuration or take the rigors of cyclocross. The Aurora's are
double walled and look to have fairly beefy spokes.

Old March 10th 05, 02:16 AM
dianne_1234

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 21:38:41 GMT, "JJ"
wrote:

Bike arrived and is in pretty good shape. I will need to replace the front
rim which is a 700c Mavic Aurora 32 hole. I haven't found a duplicate rim,
wheel or wheelset and wondering what would be similar. What would be good
(and preferably cheap as I'll probably have to get a pair) to either handle
a touring configuration or take the rigors of cyclocross. The Aurora's are
double walled and look to have fairly beefy spokes.

Would another Matrix Aurora work? I think they are still available
through Trek dealers.
Old March 10th 05, 02:37 AM
JJ

wrote:

Bike arrived and is in pretty good shape. I will need to replace the front
rim which is a 700c Mavic Aurora 32 hole. I haven't found a duplicate rim,
wheel or wheelset and wondering what would be similar. What would be good
(and preferably cheap as I'll probably have to get a pair) to either
handle
a touring configuration or take the rigors of cyclocross. The Aurora's are
double walled and look to have fairly beefy spokes.

Would another Matrix Aurora work? I think they are still available
through Trek dealers.

I was looking for something used with no success, but good idea, I'll price
some out if they're still available. Thanks!