"Lemon" Bike???

Old June 10th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default "Lemon" Bike???

Most of us have probably experienced owning a "lemon", most
likely a car, but they come in other products as well.

Can't say I've ever heard of a lemon bike though?

Anyone ever own a lemon bike?

[I know some will be tempted to call a *Mart bike a lemon
by definition, but a cheap or inexpensive product is not
necessarily a lemon.]

SMH
Old June 10th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Stephen Harding wrote:
Most of us have probably experienced owning a "lemon", most
likely a car, but they come in other products as well.

Can't say I've ever heard of a lemon bike though?

Anyone ever own a lemon bike?

Yes. My very first mountain bike -- a $1200 Gary Fisher Paragon (1996) --
had all sorts of strange problems from day one. Terrible shifting, breaking
chains and cables, etc. Finally one day I was climbing a short hill and the
rear derailleur completely disintegrated! I had to walk it home (didn't
know any better back then) and went straight to the LBS still bloody and
sweaty and dirty and demanded my money back.

Instead they agreed to replace the frame. Apaprently the first one was
enough out of alignment to mess everything up. (The new frame cracked
eventually; still have an almost new warranty replacement Paragon, as I went
full suspension around that time.)

Then just recently I bought a Madone SL "frameset" (frame & fork & seatpost
clamp), and the rear dropouts were so crooked it was obvious right from the
first wheel install. Even the less-than-helpful (kind terms) store manager
had to grudgingly admit it was twisted, and gave me a new one. (Suddenly
they had /plenty/ in the back, even though they acted like the first one was
the ONLY one left in my size.) It's been fine...although a PITA to dial in
(my fault for buying a "micro-adjust" seatpost -- I'm literally inbetween
grooves! Story of my life )

So yes, bikes can be lemons.

Now let me tell you about my brand-new CAR... (SIGH!)

Bill S.

Old June 11th 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

oh yes *mart bikes are DEFINITELY lemons...

...."when is cheap TOO cheap?"

example: the one piece crank on this generic *mart ATB I had come into the
shop recently. In decent shape otherwise, the owner was complaining that
the chainrings weren't moving while the pedals were.

Normal one piece crank is cast & machined. There is a little "peg" cast
into the crank that engages a hole on the el cheapo sheet steel chainrings
and turns them. There are no keys/channels cut into the chainrings or the
crankshaft...it's all accomplished with that one peg.

This one-piece was NOT cast...it was a machined and bent piece of barstock.
The peg? 'Twas a small chunk of the same barstock...welded onto the RH
crank with a resistance welder.

Of course, it failed...

This kind of crap design is ok for kiddie bikes, but for a 200lb rider with
a little "heft" in his legs, that peg is gonna pop off like a champagne
cork.

B.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Ride
Ride to Work.

Old June 11th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Stephen Harding" wrote in message
Most of us have probably experienced owning a "lemon", most
likely a car, but they come in other products as well.

Can't say I've ever heard of a lemon bike though?

Anyone ever own a lemon bike?

[I know some will be tempted to call a *Mart bike a lemon
by definition, but a cheap or inexpensive product is not
necessarily a lemon.]

SMH

I had a fulll suspension ATB that I had bought years ago at the LBS.
It was a mid level bike, not an entry level model.
After a couple of weeks, it got to where it would never quite shift right.
On the three of the most common to pedal on gears (for me at least), it
would jump back and forth and never just stay on the gear.
I had taken it to the shop twice and they never could get it to work right.
Later the shop went out of business, and so I took it to a different shop
and paid to have it worked on. They replaced the cables and tuned it up
pretty good.
But sure enough it still had that stupid jumping around on the gears
shifting problem.
It appears to work fine in the shop on a stand, but when you go to ride it
around, the rear shock compresses a little and apparently that changed the
frame geometry just enough to screw up the shifting somehow.
Eventually I wound up selling it at a garage sale for super cheap next to
nothing, as I could never ride it with the gears jumping like that.

I have messed with a super cheap folding bike from a big discount store
chain. The bike works OK, but the frame isn't straight, as you sort of ride
down the road sideways a little. The bike tends to pull to the right if you
let off the handlebars. When you are riding the bike, you can see the front
wheel is angled to the left a little, about 3/8" ro 1/2 of an inch when you
are going straight. I even tried obnoxiously angling the rear wheel all the
way over to one side almost rubbing on the frame chain stays and it still
tends to ride down the road a little sideways.

Old June 11th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:15:11 -0700, "Brian"
wrote:

[...]

From experience assembling and inspecting a pile of bikes equipped
with those last year, I will add that the type of crank in question
isn't so much machined as it is bent and hammered. The flats for the
pedals are produced by just severely flattening the end of the rod,
probably done cold, most likely with a trip hammer. If the hole is
punched[1] a bit too close to the shoulder, there is a tendency for
the tab to fail when the pedal is properly tightened; it rips open
from the corner of the tab to the hole. It doesn't even require the
weight of a rider for these to go south; just putting the damnthing
together can break it.

[1] Drilled? Don't make me laugh. No, it was *punched*.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old June 11th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 05:16:00 -0500, "Earl Bollinger"
wrote:

I had a full suspension ATB that I had bought years ago at the LBS.
It was a mid level bike, not an entry level model.
After a couple of weeks, it got to where it would never quite shift right.
On the three of the most common to pedal on gears (for me at least), it
would jump back and forth and never just stay on the gear.[snip]
It appears to work fine in the shop on a stand, but when you go to ride it
around, the rear shock compresses a little and apparently that changed the
frame geometry just enough to screw up the shifting somehow.
Eventually I wound up selling it at a garage sale for super cheap next to
nothing, as I could never ride it with the gears jumping like that.

I bought a used double-squishy whose owner had complained of similar
misbehavior, and solved it by rerouting the rder cable so that its
flex radius was lots longer and less severe. The problem went away.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old June 12th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Green Pacific Mtb"

-popped any of the brake posts off yet?

B.

Old June 12th 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

[...]

That is interesting, too late for me now, but I'll definitely keep it in
mind the next time I run into it.
Thanks