Getting Tired

Old October 28th 04, 01:57 AM
Marty Wallace

Default Getting Tired

"kingsley" wrote in message
newsan.2004.10.26.22.33.04.676742@maddogsbreakfa st.com.au...
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:49:36 +1000, Marx SS wrote:

After massively gruelling rides in high temps with strong head winds,
unyelding inclines & mega technical tight going (MTB), coming home to a
tall, cold glass of milk with sugar in it really hits the spot.

Or (pre-packaged) oak custard... perfect after a long ride.

In The Netherlands, the brand to look out for is
Campina Chocolate Vla - bloody fantastic, just about
fueled a whole bike tour with it, oh and cheese sandwiches.

Couldn't find custard at all in France or Germany, so that's
a very important note for planning your itinerary. Stopping
to cook it yourself would be quite time consuming, and you might
pass-out from exhaustion in the meantime.

I've read that W.A. has the highest per-capita flavoured
milk consumption in Australia, so when I go tour the munda-biddi
trail, I hope to find a good selection of bicycling custard.

-kt

Er...
There's no shops on the trail, so stock up before you start. Detours to
shops off the trail are quite long.

Marty

Old October 28th 04, 05:02 AM
SteveA

kingsley Wrote:
[...]

Carton of Choc Milk....add 4 spoons of custard powder.....carton
resealed and in bidon cage on bike....shake shake shake on the
trail.....carton of chocolate custard......Maybe. Might have to do it
in winter so the custard sets.......Or might just ruin a good carton of
Choc Milk.

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old October 28th 04, 01:31 PM
Gags

"Ben" wrote in message
If I get up early in the morning and have no braekfast and go for a 20 or

30
k ride, I seem to get tired easilly.

However if I have breakfast I feel better.
Is this normal ?

You gotta eat champ.......I can't live without breakfast - I eat 8 Weet-Bix
with light milk and 4 slices toast with marmalade (no butter) every morning
before riding to work (about 1 hour ride). I also have mid-morning snacks at
9ish and 1030ish (usually fruit).

I am pretty big and have a high metabolism so my eating patterns would prob
not be suited for you, but it is important to fuel the body first thing in
the morning (especially before exercise).

I find that the only problem with eating heaps is that when I have holidays
at Christmas and stay off the bike for a couple of weeks, my eating habits
stay the same and I generally put on a couple of kilos by the time I get
back to work and back on the bike. This year I might even try something
novel with a combination of cutting back a bit on the food and throwing in a
couple of rides a week.

Ride On,

Gags

Ride On,

Gags

Old October 28th 04, 01:36 PM
paul

Where did you read that?

Old October 28th 04, 06:53 PM
TimC

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 at 12:31 GMT, Gags (aka Bruce)
"Ben" wrote in message
If I get up early in the morning and have no braekfast and go for a 20 or

30
k ride, I seem to get tired easilly.

However if I have breakfast I feel better.
Is this normal ?

You gotta eat champ.......I can't live without breakfast - I eat 8 Weet-Bix
with light milk

Strewth. Unfortuantely, I only discovered a month or so ago that I
might be developing a lactose intolerance. Unfortunately, decraasing
the amount of milk really makes weatbix less appetising.

The whole wanting to spew up whilst riding is not so fun.

MacOSX: Sort of like a pedigree persian cat. Very sleek, very
sexy, but a little too prone to going cross-eyed, biting you on
your thumb and then throwing up on your trousers. -- Jim @ ASR
Old October 29th 04, 12:58 AM
hippy

"TimC"
Strewth. Unfortuantely, I only discovered a month or so ago that I
might be developing a lactose intolerance. Unfortunately, decraasing
the amount of milk really makes weatbix less appetising.

Is that something that you can develop? I drink heaps
of milk and the only "issue" I have is it sometimes
makes my sinuses block up. At least I guess that's
the milk's fault? It's usually when I already have a
cold. I try to avoid milk when I'm already snotty!

The whole wanting to spew up whilst riding is not so fun.

Sounds like you could be eating too much, too close
to your ride. What would you eat before a ride and
how long before the ride would it be?

hippy
"known to clear supermarket aisles before rides"

Old October 29th 04, 02:20 AM
TimC

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 at 23:58 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
"TimC"
Strewth. Unfortuantely, I only discovered a month or so ago that I
might be developing a lactose intolerance. Unfortunately, decraasing
the amount of milk really makes weatbix less appetising.

Is that something that you can develop? I drink heaps

Didn't save the URL. A simple google search last time gave me the
impression it is something you develop, at any time.

The whole wanting to spew up whilst riding is not so fun.

Sounds like you could be eating too much, too close
to your ride. What would you eat before a ride and
how long before the ride would it be?

4 weetbix about... half an hour before riding.

"I give up," said Pierre de Fermat's friend. "How DO you keep a
mathematician busy for 350 years?"
Old October 29th 04, 02:24 AM
Tamyka Bell

TimC wrote:

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 at 23:58 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
"TimC"
Strewth. Unfortuantely, I only discovered a month or so ago that I
might be developing a lactose intolerance. Unfortunately, decraasing
the amount of milk really makes weatbix less appetising.

Is that something that you can develop? I drink heaps

Didn't save the URL. A simple google search last time gave me the
impression it is something you develop, at any time.

The whole wanting to spew up whilst riding is not so fun.

Sounds like you could be eating too much, too close
to your ride. What would you eat before a ride and
how long before the ride would it be?

4 weetbix about... half an hour before riding.

"I give up," said Pierre de Fermat's friend. "How DO you keep a
mathematician busy for 350 years?"

Current thinking is that you develop lactose intolerance but must be
pre-disposed to it, then it will only develop if you continually have a
large intake. Like most food intolerances. Each time that you have "too
much" and get a reaction, you are more likely to get a reaction the next
time, and all that.
Old October 29th 04, 02:29 AM
hippy

"TimC"
The whole wanting to spew up whilst riding is not so fun.

Sounds like you could be eating too much, too close
to your ride. What would you eat before a ride and
how long before the ride would it be?

4 weetbix about... half an hour before riding.

Most of the stuff I've read seems to say to allow
2-4 hours between eating a meal and riding. This
varies depending on: 'your' stomach, the food/drink
in question, the intensity of the ride. You need to
suss out the variables over time to see what you
can eat comfortably and how long to leave it before
riding. 30min is too short a time for a lot of people.

http://www.google.com/search?q=eating+before+riding

hippy

Old October 29th 04, 02:44 AM
Tamyka Bell

hippy wrote:

"TimC"
The whole wanting to spew up whilst riding is not so fun.

Sounds like you could be eating too much, too close
to your ride. What would you eat before a ride and
how long before the ride would it be?

4 weetbix about... half an hour before riding.

Most of the stuff I've read seems to say to allow
2-4 hours between eating a meal and riding. This
varies depending on: 'your' stomach, the food/drink
in question, the intensity of the ride. You need to
suss out the variables over time to see what you
can eat comfortably and how long to leave it before
riding. 30min is too short a time for a lot of people.

http://www.google.com/search?q=eating+before+riding

hippy

Plus if it's that late before riding you're not really going to get
benefit out of it as an energy source until a few hours into your ride.
If it gets that late, try a gu or a few jelly babies or something. About
an hour out, a slice of toast is good, it stops me getting hungry
halfway through a short session and if I'm doing a long ride I'll keep
eating throughout. With the above info, I'd say 4 hours is a bit long
unless it's a full steak dinner...

Mmmm steak.

Learner with tired legs wants advice 1mthead Unicycling 4 September 8th 04 12:36 PM
leg getting tired while idling Sipid Malapropism Unicycling 4 August 4th 04 09:30 PM
"one tired guy" on DVD zod Unicycling 10 May 31st 04 09:33 AM
BAck from the BMW, tired and fairly happy Sarah Miller Unicycling 46 October 13th 03 12:54 PM
One Tired Guy or UNiVERsE? James_Potter Unicycling 3 September 1st 03 07:08 AM