Helmet Complience

Old October 31st 04, 10:46 AM
Peter Signorini

Default Helmet Complience

"Peter McCallum" wrote in message
news:1gmj3nz.1jciiilafsituN%p5m8.REMOVETHIS@yahoo. com.au...

Now, given that I have a family history of skin cancer and am living in
the state with the world's highest incidence of melanoma,

snip

I can't attach a broad brim to my helmet because the manufacturer says
it would be illegal to do so.

You need one of these. Some fellow cyclists in my touring club use them.

http://skin-savers.com/Action_Wear/index.html (scroll to bottom of the page)

Cheers
Peter

Old October 31st 04, 03:19 PM
Peter McCallum

Peter Signorini wrote:
You need one of these. Some fellow cyclists in my touring club use them.

http://skin-savers.com/Action_Wear/index.html (scroll to bottom of the page)

Cheers
Peter

looks good. up here several people have cut up straw hats and made a
sort of broad brimmed helmet as well.

the situation is the same legally though. the warning on the helmet says
no attachments other than those approved by the manufacturer. i spoke to
rosebank and they said they don't approve any attachments because the
performance of the helmet is then untested.

i suppose people might say that i'm being a little pedantic but the cop
that booked me had a look at the helmet i was carrying in my trailer
with the shopping and threatened to arrest me if i rode off wearing it
because it did not have an australian standards sticker inside and he
said it therefore didn't comply.

having been in to the mackay traffic branch and seen that about one
third of their files relate to bicycle offences (i assume they are 90
per cent helmets at least) it seems they are well aware of the law, even
if they don't have an accurate interpretation of it.

peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old November 1st 04, 01:33 AM
Plodder

"Gemma Kernich" wrote in message

"DRS" wrote in message

It's $100 in Victoria (Rule 256(1) & (3)). As an aside, it's
theoretically
possible to get an exemption from the requirement to wear an "approved
hemet" (Rule 256(5)) but I have no idea on what grounds or whether it's
ever
actually happened.

In SA there's a legal exemption for people of the Sikh religion (as they'd
have to remove their turbans to wear a helmet correctly). So there you

go!
Anyone may seek an exemption from the Minister for Transport though. If

you
had an odd-shaped head, or a large growth, or a head so massive a helmet
wouldn't fit, or something else like that I reckon you'd have a chance at

an
exemption.
Gemma

I got an exemption years ago for trigeminal neuralgia. The helmet irritated
the nerve and triggered Bell's Palsy. No probs now though. I bought a decent
helmet rather than the bucket job that was causing problems.

Me

Old November 1st 04, 06:22 AM
suzyj

ritcho wrote:

I think you're getting there P, a helmet troll combined with a
jab that is based on nationalistic lines. Keep throwing that
line in the water, though I know a much better spot...
rec.bicycles.misc (!)

He's got a good point though. I was in the Netherlands a couple o
weeks ago, and helmets there are totally nonexistant. A couple o
people that I was working with, upon hearing that I was a bike nut
asked about helmets in Aust.

It's interesting to see that there's an almost perfect invers
relationship between the number of cyclists in a country and the rat
of helmet use.

Regards,

Suzy (who resents helmet laws, as she sees them as another symptom of
community that wants to marginalise cyclists

--
suzyj

Old November 1st 04, 07:13 AM
ritcho

suzyj Wrote:
ritcho wrote:

I think you're getting there P, a helmet troll combined with a
jab that is based on nationalistic lines. Keep throwing that
line in the water, though I know a much better spot...
rec.bicycles.misc (!)

He's got a good point though. I was in the Netherlands a couple o
weeks ago, and helmets there are totally nonexistant. A couple o
people that I was working with, upon hearing that I was a bike nut
asked about helmets in Aust.

It's interesting to see that there's an almost perfect invers
relationship between the number of cyclists in a country and the rat
of helmet use.

Regards,

Suzy (who resents helmet laws, as she sees them as another symptom of
community that wants to marginalise cyclists)

Welcome back Suzy, was Netherlands a holiday?

Anyway,
Good point or not, he had three goes at kicking off an (anti-)helme
war and no goes at all at answering the OP's question. Perhaps I coul
have put a smiley there?

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old November 1st 04, 08:07 AM
Peter Keller

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:13:19 +1100, ritcho wrote:

suzyj Wrote:
ritcho wrote:

I think you're getting there P, a helmet troll combined with a
jab that is based on nationalistic lines. Keep throwing that
line in the water, though I know a much better spot...
rec.bicycles.misc (!)

He's got a good point though. I was in the Netherlands a couple of
weeks ago, and helmets there are totally nonexistant. A couple of
people that I was working with, upon hearing that I was a bike nut,
asked about helmets in Aust.

It's interesting to see that there's an almost perfect inverse
relationship between the number of cyclists in a country and the rate
of helmet use.

Regards,

Suzy (who resents helmet laws, as she sees them as another symptom of a
community that wants to marginalise cyclists)

Welcome back Suzy, was Netherlands a holiday?

Anyway,
Good point or not, he had three goes at kicking off an (anti-)helmet
war and no goes at all at answering the OP's question. Perhaps I could
have put a smiley there?

Ritch

I protest!
I was trying to kick off an anticompulsion war! Not an antihelmet war!

Peter

--
If you are careful enough in life, nothing bad -- or
good -- will ever happen to you.

Old November 1st 04, 11:28 PM
suzyj

ritcho wrote:

Welcome back Suzy, was Netherlands a holiday?

Unfortunately not. It was for a conference. I did manage to squeez
in some sightseeing though, including a couple of good rides on th
weekends.

Regards,

Suz

--