Trek 2100 Carbon?

Old April 8th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Trek 2100 Carbon?

On Apr 8, 4:21*pm, N8N wrote:
On Apr 8, 2:20*pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:55*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:52*pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 12:53*pm, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. *Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay
away from carbon frames and low spoke count wheels. *I think you were
on the right track with a Surly, or maybe a JTS. *Even the cross bike
your LBS tried to sell you... something other than carbon with wheels
that have few spokes. *It's kinda like having an old lotus as a daily
driver. *Sure, they're fun, but as a regular driver? *Then again, a
lot depends on your weight and the condition of your local roads and
paths.

Heh, see my last post. *I have a serious jones for an Elite, know
where I could get one for cheap?

nate- Hide quoted text -

Do you know what size frame you want? *Here's a couple to glance at:http://tinyurl.com/5gj7a7&http://tin...om/6z5qw9-Hide quoted text -

i'm thinking I need probably either a 56 or 57cm. *The Fuji I was
looking at at my LBS was a 58cm frame and it just felt too big.
Certain portions of my anatomy were quivering in fear when I tried to
put my feet flat on the ground.

nate- Hide quoted text -

OK, in that case the 2 I linked are too big. They're still more along
the lines of what I'd be looking for if I were you.
Old April 8th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 8, 1:57*pm, landotter wrote:
On Apr 8, 12:46*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:35*pm, landotter wrote:

On Apr 8, 11:53*am, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?

If you ride on sunny days with smooth roads and it fits--you'll have
plenty of fun with it. I personally wouldn't want to own just a gee
whiz fast bike as my only bike--but if it fits you and your needs, go
for it. Have a good look at the frame and fork before buying. Look for
deep scratches and cracks. If it's "well used", walk away.

Well, I *do* own a 20 year old Porsche as my "real" car, if that gives
you any kind of idea as to what makes my ears wiggle *I even put
snow tires on it in the winter, which no doubt gives the "purists"
apoplectic fits.

Well, I wouldn't say that riding a 2100 is similarly idiosyncratic. A
Porsche is at least a little domesticated--it's not like you're
driving a 52 MGB.

(thread digression) wouldn't a '52 be a TD not a B? I'd probably find
it too slow (says the guy who drives a 944, but this is all
hypothetical, right?) but I wouldn't kick a TR-6 or Austin Healey out
of my driveway for leaking oil.

hmm, actually I can't kick anything out of my driveway for leaking
oil, as my current rides are the P-car, a '55 Studebaker, and an old
Ford pickup, none of which are particularly well known for fluid
retention. I think the Studebaker may actually be the dryest of the
lot

Now that you mention it, there *is* an old MGA sitting in some guy's
driveway down the street, and I haven't seen it move in a year and a
half... must... resist... temptation...

nate
Old April 8th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 8, 4:28*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:21*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 2:20*pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:55*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:52*pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 12:53*pm, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. *Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay

Do you know what size frame you want? *Here's a couple to glance at:http://tinyurl.com/5gj7a7&http://tin...qw9-Hidequoted text -

i'm thinking I need probably either a 56 or 57cm. *The Fuji I was
looking at at my LBS was a 58cm frame and it just felt too big.
Certain portions of my anatomy were quivering in fear when I tried to
put my feet flat on the ground.

nate- Hide quoted text -

OK, in that case the 2 I linked are too big. *They're still more along
the lines of what I'd be looking for if I were you.

Yeah, that was kind of what I was looking for as well, but the 2100 is
similarly priced, is why it caught my eye. I'm pretty much a sucker
for anything high performance. You should see some of the stupid
stuff I've done to my cars.

I'm trying to show restraint here, but i'm not sure how successful
I'll be

nate
Old April 9th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

N8N wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:28 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 4:21 pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 2:20 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:55 pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:52 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 12:53 pm, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay
[...]

Hmmm... took the POS bike for a real-ish ride today (dropped car off for
a tire balance and oil change, just threw the bike in the hatch rather
than wait for SWMBO to come home and pick me up) my knees hurt. I think
it's too small, even with the seat jacked up. Makes sense as the PO was
about 3" shorter than I. Makes me want to buy something.

I'm hoping that I come to my senses otherwise people are going to be
asking "who's that chubby poser on that nice bike?" If they notice at
all, that is.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 9th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

On Apr 8, 11:53 am, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?

If you ride on sunny days with smooth roads and it fits--you'll have
plenty of fun with it. I personally wouldn't want to own just a gee
whiz fast bike as my only bike--but if it fits you and your needs, go
for it. Have a good look at the frame and fork before buying. Look for
deep scratches and cracks. If it's "well used", walk away.

Well, I *do* own a 20 year old Porsche as my "real" car, if that gives
you any kind of idea as to what makes my ears wiggle I even put
snow tires on it in the winter, which no doubt gives the "purists"
apoplectic fits.

This is what a vintage Porsche would look like if you drove around here
for a few winters:
http://content.leenks.com/pics/2008/oldexotics/oldexotics-6.jpg.

Old April 9th 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default OT: Oil Usage

On Apr 8, 11:53 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

I beat my 1994 Civic Si for 160,000 miles with no measurable oil usage.
The SRAM 3x7 hub on my RANS Tailwind uses more oil.

Old April 9th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 8, 7:43 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:28 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 4:21 pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 2:20 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:55 pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:52 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 12:53 pm, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay

Do you know what size frame you want? Here's a couple to glance at:http://tinyurl.com/5gj7a7&http://tin...Hidequotedtext -

[...]

You maintain the Stude and yet the shop changes the oil on the FBP?
Never would have seen that coming. Then again, when it's cold and wet
out my mechanic changes my oil too.

Anyway, congrats on the ride. Ride that thing as much as you can
before you get your next bike, you'll appreciate the difference that
much more.

I'm hoping that I come to my senses otherwise people are going to be
asking "who's that chubby poser on that nice bike?" If they notice at
all, that is.

Nothing wrong with being a chubby guy on a bike. Hell, I know some
really fast chubby guys.

Fit makes a huge difference, and your knees will be one of the first
places to notice. Some fit issues can be addressed with seat position
and/or a new stem, but a bike that really doesn't fit just won't fit.
One of the nice things about buying a bike from a shop is a good shop
can and will properly fit you to a bike. However, in my area less
than half the shops I know of do that. A quick standover is not a
fit, by the way.

So I'm guessing you to be 5'7 or 5'8ish, give or take a bit in either
direction, to want a 56/57 frame. Depending you your version of
chubby, you might be pushing the weight limit of that 2100, especially
the wheels. Like I said, if you don't mind having to wrench it and
take care of it all the more power to you, have a blast. I'd probably
buy it if it was cheap enough, though it'd have to be real, real cheap
to get me to buy a 10 year old weight-weenie model.

Did you take a gander at this one? http://tinyurl.com/3vpmsj If
you really want something racy, you could do worse. I have a feeling
you'll be replacing spokes semi-regularly or getting new wheels, but
overall it's not a bad bike. It takes at least 32c tires, which is
nice. It's got a triple (3 sprockets up front) for the hills. Aside
from the low spoke count I like it a lot. Then again, I weight in @
200lbs and encounter bumps, potholes, curbs, etc. so I really don't
like low spoke wheels. YMMV.
Old April 9th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 8, 11:53 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

Heh, that's still a new car G I think most of mine leak more than
they burn, honestly. I just haven't been able to justify tearing down
a perfectly good engine just to replace gaskets - last time I did that
I ended up swapping the entire drivetrain (motor, transmission,
driveshaft, and rear end) in the car for something a little more
sporty before I got it all back together.

nate
Old April 9th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 9, 1:32*am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
N8N aka Nate Nagel wrote: On Apr 8, 1:35 pm, landotter wrote:
On Apr 8, 11:53 am, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
If you ride on sunny days with smooth roads and it fits--you'll have
plenty of fun with it. I personally wouldn't want to own just a gee
whiz fast bike as my only bike--but if it fits you and your needs, go
for it. Have a good look at the frame and fork before buying. Look for
deep scratches and cracks. If it's "well used", walk away.

Well, I *do* own a 20 year old Porsche as my "real" car, if that gives
you any kind of idea as to what makes my ears wiggle *I even put
snow tires on it in the winter, which no doubt gives the "purists"
apoplectic fits.

This is what a vintage Porsche would look like if you drove around here
for a few winters:
http://content.leenks.com/pics/2008/oldexotics/oldexotics-6.jpg.

Can't see your pic at work and it's probably just as well...

truth is, that since the mid-70s Porsche has used all galvanized steel
as well as adding that typical German paraffin undercoating, so
they're actually fairly rust resistant as far as car bodies go.
Actually surprisingly practical, if you can just get past the cost of
parts.

Of course a VW GTI or Scirocco is 90% of the fun for 50% of the cost,
but I never said that all my purchasing decisions made perfect sense.

nate
Old April 9th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
catzz66[_2_]

Harry Brogan wrote:
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:53:11 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

That's not the sort of bike for "running to the store".......

Well, he hasn't said what he's going to do with it, but there's nothing
wrong with a noncompetitive recreational rider owning a carbon fiber
frame bike.