damaged spoke holes (rim)

Old April 10th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®

Default damaged spoke holes (rim)

My neighbor's cheap ass K-mart bike needs a spoke replaced; that is, the
spoke has pulled out of the cheap steel rim, and area around a couple of
other spoke holes started bulging due to spoke tension. If it were my bike,
I would simply replace the garbage rim, but just to get my buddy back on his
bike, do you have any suggestions on what I can do without replacing the
rim? Say, use some kind of washers inside the rim around the spoke holes?
TIA.

Old April 10th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Tserkezis

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ® wrote:

My neighbor's cheap ass K-mart bike needs a spoke replaced; that is, the
spoke has pulled out of the cheap steel rim, and area around a couple of
other spoke holes started bulging due to spoke tension. If it were my bike,
I would simply replace the garbage rim, but just to get my buddy back on his
bike, do you have any suggestions on what I can do without replacing the
rim? Say, use some kind of washers inside the rim around the spoke holes?

If one spoke nipple has pulled out of the rim, and several others close
behind, then the best option appears to be replacement. Or should I say, your
_only_ option. I can only see this ending badly otherwise.

Your LBS might have a cheap second hand rim that might suit.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org
Old April 11th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dennis P. Harris

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:01:03 +1000 in rec.bicycles.tech, John
Tserkezis wrote:

If one spoke nipple has pulled out of the rim, and several others close
behind, then the best option appears to be replacement. Or should I say, your
_only_ option. I can only see this ending badly otherwise.

what he said. the wheel is NOT safe. if it's under warranty, he
should return the bike and buy a decent one somewhere else. if
not, replace the wheel.

Old April 11th 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:50:33 -0400, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage
Edition ®" may have said:

My neighbor's cheap ass K-mart bike needs a spoke replaced; that is, the
spoke has pulled out of the cheap steel rim, and area around a couple of
other spoke holes started bulging due to spoke tension. If it were my bike,
I would simply replace the garbage rim, but just to get my buddy back on his
bike, do you have any suggestions on what I can do without replacing the
rim? Say, use some kind of washers inside the rim around the spoke holes?

It's amazingly unusual for even a Huffy or Magna steel rim to do this,
though some of the cheap aluminum ones are no strangers to
pull-throughs. If it has happened once, it will happen again; trying
to keep that rim in service is not just a false economy, it's a bigger
problem in the making. I'd seriously suggest casting around for a
place that has a used wheel that they'll sell cheap.

Old April 11th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Vey

Werehatrack wrote:

It's amazingly unusual for even a Huffy or Magna steel rim to do this,

But not one of the BSOs from Pacific Cycle. What you thought was cheap,
looks good when comparing these.
Old April 11th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ® wrote:
My neighbor's cheap ass K-mart bike needs a spoke replaced; that is, the
spoke has pulled out of the cheap steel rim, and area around a couple of
other spoke holes started bulging due to spoke tension. If it were my bike,
I would simply replace the garbage rim, but just to get my buddy back on his
bike, do you have any suggestions on what I can do without replacing the
rim? Say, use some kind of washers inside the rim around the spoke holes?
TIA.

I don't see why not, if you can find washers of a suitable size.
Old April 12th 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

Werehatrack wrote:

It's amazingly unusual for even a Huffy or Magna steel rim to do this,
though some of the cheap aluminum ones are no strangers to
pull-throughs.

That also goes for certain Mavics, the MA3 and MA40 coming most
immediately to mind ;-)
Old April 12th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Werehatrack wrote:

It's amazingly unusual for even a Huffy or Magna steel rim to do this,
though some of the cheap aluminum ones are no strangers to
pull-throughs.

That also goes for certain Mavics, the MA3 and MA40 coming most
immediately to mind ;-)

Trolling for Kentucky Bourbon drinkers?

Old April 12th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

Tom Sherman wrote:
Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Werehatrack wrote:

It's amazingly unusual for even a Huffy or Magna steel rim to do this,
though some of the cheap aluminum ones are no strangers to
pull-throughs.

That also goes for certain Mavics, the MA3 and MA40 coming most
immediately to mind ;-)

Trolling for Kentucky Bourbon drinkers?

Nah. To be fair, the MA3 on my racing bike is still OK, but I didn't
take the tension as high as I would normally, and it's done relatively
few miles.
Old April 12th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:08:10 -0500, Tom Sherman
may have said:

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Werehatrack wrote:

It's amazingly unusual for even a Huffy or Magna steel rim to do this,
though some of the cheap aluminum ones are no strangers to
pull-throughs.

That also goes for certain Mavics, the MA3 and MA40 coming most
immediately to mind ;-)

Ah, yes, but they do it so much more expensively!

Trolling for Kentucky Bourbon drinkers?

Too easy.

Damaged thread Neil Smith UK 6 November 12th 07 11:39 PM
Damaged shoes? UNIquelyCanadian Unicycling 5 April 17th 05 10:51 PM
Damaged rims... Fip Australia 46 April 8th 05 01:01 AM
Damaged thread: anything to do about it? Per Löwdin Techniques 4 March 1st 04 05:36 PM
Damaged rims jacques General 4 November 17th 03 10:13 PM