Friction shifter squeal, fix?

Old September 7th 15, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Friction shifter squeal, fix?

Folks,

Lately my old Shimano 600 friction shifter levers let off an annoying
squeal when moving them. Shifting is ok but it's embarrassing when other
road bikers are around.

A drop of oil didn't help. Can I use some sort of lube on their inner
surfaces? LiquiMoly LM48 maybe? Some other trick? Wanted to ask here
before I do something where they'll never work right anymore and someone
will say "Oh, you shouldn't have done that".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 7th 15, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 11:48:22 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

Lately my old Shimano 600 friction shifter levers let off an annoying
squeal when moving them. Shifting is ok but it's embarrassing when other
road bikers are around.

A drop of oil didn't help. Can I use some sort of lube on their inner
surfaces? LiquiMoly LM48 maybe? Some other trick? Wanted to ask here
before I do something where they'll never work right anymore and someone
will say "Oh, you shouldn't have done that".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I've never seen this before but I can imagine after all these years that bearing surface is probably dried out with caked dirt and grease. Set the levers parallel with the downtube and rotate the wheels so that the derailleurs go to their neutral positions (small cog and smallest ring). This should give enough slack to unscrew and remove the levers. Remember that you can get some slack by rotating the derailleurs a little.

Using WD40 or some such to cut through the sludge clean the bearing surfaces including inside of the levers. Make sure there is nothing remaining of any junk. Inspect closely for any cracks in the downtube mounts and in the lever bodies.

Re-lube with a light grease and NOT OIL upon reassembly. Bearings are not supposed to have oil on them. They are supposed to be greased. Make sure that the cables are in the grooves for them on the levers.
Old September 7th 15, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/7/2015 1:48 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

Lately my old Shimano 600 friction shifter levers let off an
annoying squeal when moving them. Shifting is ok but it's
embarrassing when other road bikers are around.

A drop of oil didn't help. Can I use some sort of lube on
their inner surfaces? LiquiMoly LM48 maybe? Some other
trick? Wanted to ask here before I do something where
they'll never work right anymore and someone will say "Oh,
you shouldn't have done that".

quick fix:
Undo the tension screw 3 or 4 turns so your oil can get in
between all the various aluminum and nylon bits inside.
Tighten screw, wipe excess oil, go ride.

best:
disassemble completely, clean the crud from all the formerly
smooth mating surfaces, oil all parts, reassemble. One need
not remove the gear wire to do this.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 7th 15, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-09-07 12:06 PM, wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I just tried your recipe with the FD shifter and ball bearing
grease sparingly applied. Now it needs to be tightened a bit more than
usual in order not to gradually slide back and it makes a slight
grinding noise but ... no more squeal. Next ride is tomorrow and if this
works I'll do the same with the RD shifter.

The inner black steel ring with the two locking notches had some rust on it.

Old September 7th 15, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-09-07 12:14 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/7/2015 1:48 PM, Joerg wrote:
[...]

I just did method B and used light grease as Tom had suggested. Seems to
work on the FD shifter. If ok on the ride tomorrow I'll also do the RD.

Thanks, Andrew.

Old September 7th 15, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

more limestone ? gold dust is too soft...is gold dust a squealer ? maybe there's a website ?

give the discs and bolt/cap wear and then positions relative to each other in friction a good look....maybe no longer flat but ramped.

usually embedded aluminum or steel specks caws squealing...the bright spot on the surface.

I have an occasionally squealing left front disc. There is only one solution: take the expletive deleted apart or pay $175.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/front...r-49678662.jpg

http://www.loosescrews.com/Shifter/Road-Shifters/

Old September 7th 15, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote in message
[...]

GT85 is the new WD40 - its Teflon fortified.

If grease is required - Finish-Line Teflon fortified bicycle grease is hard
to beat.

Old September 7th 15, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-09-07 12:56 PM, Ian Field wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Better yet, use the Griswold stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSdm_eA1Css

Old September 7th 15, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2015-09-07 12:56 PM, Ian Field wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

GREASED A FRICTION SHIFTER ?
Old September 7th 15, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-09-07 12:56 PM, Ian Field wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Just did, per Tom's and Andrew's advice. Seems to work. All I wanted was
that it stops emitting this loud squeak every time I shift and it did stop.