Is Sylvia Schenk behind the Armstrong affair ?

Old August 29th 05, 07:16 PM
B. Lafferty

Default Is Sylvia Schenk behind the Armstrong affair ?

My function here is neither as an attorney or a judge. I'm a fan who no
longer believes Armstrong, Discovery, Verbruggen and the UCI have any
credibility. You believe whatever you like.

"Gary" wrote in message
Gosh. I'm glad you're an attorney and not a judge.

B. Lafferty wrote:
"Torched Smurf" wrote in message
oups.com...

B. Lafferty wrote:

A letter from today's VeloNews:

Editor:
Who am I describing: Barry Bonds or Lance Armstrong?
Child prodigy.
World-class athlete.
Late in career, had substantial improvement in already world-class
performance.
Breaks records long believed unbreakable.
Associated with known users of performance-enhancing drugs.
Associated with known providers of performance-enhancing drugs. Accused
in
print by associates of drug use.
Has history of bad relations with the sporting press.

Only in foreign countries. In the US Lance gets better press than
Jesus.

Relies on zero positive tests as proof of innocence.
Not in competition at this time.

The answer is: Both of them.

If you believe that only one of them is innocent or guilty, your bias is
showing.

Michael Giunta
Simsbury, Connecticut

I marvel at Mr. Giunta's powers of perceptiveness. Still, he left out a
few:
* Is over five feet in height.
* Possesses at least one testicle.
* Has at some point in his life ridden on a bike or other vehicle.
* Takes drugs.

Coincidence?? I think not.

Thanks,
Smurf

The bottom line:

R.I.P.
Lance Armstrong's Myth
Born 25 July, 1999
Died 23 August, 2005
"I never tested positive."

Old August 29th 05, 07:40 PM
Tom Kunich

Not to put too fine a point on it but Dr. Ferrari is one of the
greatest sports physiologists in history whereas Balco was a
pharmaceutical company that was inventing new drugs to beat the
detection process.

Now, exactly how does the one resemble the other?

Old August 29th 05, 07:41 PM
Tom Kunich

Perhaps you'd like to explain to us when Lance tested positive?

Old August 29th 05, 09:52 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

There are just a ton of paralells here, though my personal opinion is
that the hard evidence is much solider against Bonds, it's still not a
good scene for Lance.

It's interesting to note that even though bond's head is two sizes bigger,
people still support him. It's all a conspiracy to protect the Babe, you
know?

You're confusing "support" with people wanting to be entertained. Watching
him come to the plate, knowing what he's capable of doing to the opposing
pitcher... even if it's a rude combination of incredible raw talent +
steroids, it's still impressive to watch. It's hard to put a finger on why
people are generally more tolerant of Barry Bonds than some of the other
guys who have been taken down recently though. I hope it's not something as
simple as "He's made a winner out of our team, so we'll forgive his
transgressions."

But ultimately, what the fans want is for the Giants to win, even more than
they want to see Barry hit home runs (which is a problem for those of us in
Northern California, since Barry seems to shut down during the playoffs...
sigh...). But for cycling, most fans don't think in terms of the Discovery
guys winning a "team" victory, no matter how much Lance says he couldn't do
it without them. Rather, cycling focuses much more on a single individual's
efforts, in this case, Lance. Little else on the team matters. It would be
like a baseball team designing their roster entirely around one person, just
to make that single person look as good as possible.

As much as cycling is a "team" sport, it's quite individual compared to
Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Football (either type)...

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"TM" wrote in message ...

oups.com...

Old August 29th 05, 10:29 PM
benjo maso

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not to put too fine a point on it but Dr. Ferrari is one of the
greatest sports physiologists in history whereas Balco was a
pharmaceutical company that was inventing new drugs to beat the
detection process.

I don't want to dispute your statement that Ferrari one of the greatest
sports physiologists in history, but you know of course that he thanked his
fame in the cycling world being the medical adviser of the Gewiss-team in
1994/1995 when the hematocrite level of his clients rose sharply in six
month (Furlan 38-51, Ugrumov 42-60, Riis 41-56, Gotti 40-57, Berzin 41-53,
etc.), resulting in the stunning results of the team in 1995 and Ferrari's
popularity among other ambitious riders.

Benjo

Old August 29th 05, 10:37 PM
B. Lafferty

"benjo maso" wrote in message

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not to put too fine a point on it but Dr. Ferrari is one of the
greatest sports physiologists in history whereas Balco was a
pharmaceutical company that was inventing new drugs to beat the
detection process.

I don't want to dispute your statement that Ferrari one of the greatest
sports physiologists in history, but you know of course that he thanked
his fame in the cycling world being the medical adviser of the Gewiss-team
in 1994/1995 when the hematocrite level of his clients rose sharply in six
month (Furlan 38-51, Ugrumov 42-60, Riis 41-56, Gotti 40-57, Berzin 41-53,
etc.), resulting in the stunning results of the team in 1995 and Ferrari's
popularity among other ambitious riders.

Benjo

A couple of us a planning to do a local Tour de Drugs wearing jerseys of
known doping teams. Between us we have Gewiss, Mercatone Uno, Festina,
Postal and a couple more. We're going to head for a climb averaging around
9% and see how long we can maintain a climbing speed of 25kph. :-)

Old August 29th 05, 11:22 PM
TM

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
.. .

You're confusing "support" with people wanting to be entertained.

I meant that there are still people who believe barry bonds... just as there
will be people who believe tyler and lance no matter what.

I'm continually struck by the highly intelligent people posting here who use
their intellect to explain away a simple fact that doesn't agree with what
they thought was true.

I really wanted both of those guys to be clean, but I just can't drink the
kool-aid of self deception that is necessary to believe they are.

The next step is what you are discussing. I can understand people who say
barry and lance are users and I don't care, or, barry and lance are users
and I do care. It is the barry and lance are clean and would never do such
a thing because they are my hero crowd that stuns me.

Old August 29th 05, 11:26 PM

B. Lafferty wrote:

A couple of us a planning to do a local Tour de Drugs wearing jerseys of
known doping teams. Between us we have Gewiss, Mercatone Uno, Festina,
Postal and a couple more. We're going to head for a climb averaging around
9% and see how long we can maintain a climbing speed of 25kph. :-)

Paging Marlene Blanshay, if you care to see another pack of
bearded guys on bents ...

Old August 30th 05, 01:00 AM
B. Lafferty

wrote in message
oups.com...

B. Lafferty wrote:

A couple of us a planning to do a local Tour de Drugs wearing jerseys of
known doping teams. Between us we have Gewiss, Mercatone Uno, Festina,
Postal and a couple more. We're going to head for a climb averaging
around
9% and see how long we can maintain a climbing speed of 25kph. :-)

Paging Marlene Blanshay, if you care to see another pack of
bearded guys on bents ...

Sadly for you, none of us have beards and the only time we ride bent is with
wives and significant others.

Old August 30th 05, 01:02 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

The next step is what you are discussing. I can understand people who say
barry and lance are users and I don't care, or, barry and lance are users
and I do care. It is the barry and lance are clean and would never do
such a thing because they are my hero crowd that stuns me.

Very few people (intelligent or otherwise) believe Barry Bonds to be clean.
That includes me. On the other hand, I'm still not convinced, beyond a
reasonable doubt, that Lance is dirty via EPO. I have no problem believing
that he pushed every possible button he could, including some that might be
questionable, to get an edge. But doing things that might likely resut in a
positive sample, or even things that depend upon secrecy, where the
slightest chance of discovery would result in a 2-year suspension...

Time will tell.