Beginner MUni 26" or 24"

Old February 24th 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dangerlaef

Default Beginner MUni 26" or 24"

Hi folks,

I've only been riding a short while (only just sussed idleing, planning
on jumps & backwards next,) I've been playing on MTB trails on my 20"
Nimbus & can see the advantage of a larger wheel.

In all my web searching, I can't find any strong arguments to choose
between 24 & 26 inchers.

I guess 26" is better cross country & has a greater choice of tyres,
so why is 24" so popular?

Also, as a beginner is the Nimbus MUni a good choice?

thanks,
Laef

--
dangerlaef
dangerlaef's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14407

Old February 24th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
craigcbr

hi i dont know much about muni but i think that alot of people use
24"instead of 26".just have a look around at the outher threads there
muct be some stuff on muni.

--
craigcbr
craigcbr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14323

Old February 24th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

I had the same choice a while ago (infact almost exacly the same
choice).
24"- Is good for tecnical offroad trials and can be used as a street/
trials uni.
26"- Is good if you only want to do just muni ridding

I have a nimbus 24" muni and its great but you will need to upgrade the
hub at some point if you want to do jumps

Edit: 'old poll'

thejdw

dunawan wrote:
why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
forrestunifreak wrote:
They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

2 unispins landed!
don't follow Jesus, follow me!

thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

Old February 24th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

I started out riding Muni on a nimbus 24", and more recently upgraded to
a KH24. I think for the vast majority of riding I do a 26" would
actually be better, just because it isn't technical enough to need a
smaller wheel, and having more speed would be cool. However having a
26" would stop me from doing some of the technical riding I
ocassionally enjoy because I'm not good enough to accurately control a
bigger wheel. Just think about what exactly you intend to ride for the
majority of the time.

The nimbus is good to start out with, but by the time I went to the
KH24 i'd broken and replaced the hub, cranks, pedals, seat, seatpost
and seatpost clamp. However this was before the UDC wide crmo hub
became standard issue on the nimbus munis, and the seatpost diametre
went up from 22.2 to 25.4, and I used it for trials and I'm heavy.
Either nimbus would be a good first Muni, if I had my time again I
would get the nimbus again.

--
kington99

Dave

Old February 24th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thayr

I started with a 24" and 150mm and then 26" 150mm. For me trail riding
was better on the 24". Hill climbing, downhill, hopping and
maneuverability was all easier with 24". I never tried a 26" with
longer cranks though, like 170mm.

--
thayr
thayr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8957

Old February 24th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

dangerlaef wrote:

I guess 26" is better cross country & has a greater choice of tyres,
so why is 24" so popular?

24" is popular because the first really strong muni that was a sensible
price, and the one that everyone has, was the Kris Holm one, and it
only came in 24".

Kris does like 14 foot drops and mental stuff. For him, having a
slightly stronger smaller wheel really helps. For a lot of us mere
mortal riders a 26" might be better for the reasons you say. But having
said that there really isn't much difference in the speed you can get
up on either size, I often ride 26 with people on 24s, and it's not
like I'm super fast compared to them. The tyre thing is true, but 90%
of the time on a muni, even for cross country you just want a really
fat tyre, and there are several of those for the 24".

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Old February 24th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni man 22

get a 24 dx it will do you good and it willt ake 6' drops and will do
street and muni i can jump 1' up on it ya get a 24''

--
uni man 22

unicyle for Crist

super poll