spoke tension

Old July 17th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark

Default spoke tension

Could someone recommend the proper spoke tension for a rear wheel built
with a Velocity Aerohead OC rim?

TIA,

mark
Old July 17th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Mark Felber wrote:
Could someone recommend the proper spoke tension for a rear wheel built
with a Velocity Aerohead OC rim?

JB says tension as high as the rim will bear without taking a "taco" or
"potato chip" shape; however, jb says tension only as high as the
manufacturer's recommendation, or the rim will crack around the spoke hole.

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

Old July 17th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jul 16, 11:19 pm, mark wrote:
Could someone recommend the proper spoke tension for a rear wheel built
with a Velocity Aerohead OC rim?

TIA,

mark

100 kgf for the right side. If true, round, dished..the left side
tension will take care of itself.

Old July 17th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article .com,

On Jul 16, 11:19 pm, mark wrote:
Could someone recommend the proper spoke tension for a rear wheel
built with a Velocity Aerohead OC rim?

100 kgf for the right side.

Which is pretty much the standard number used for the drive side of the
rear wheel and both sides of the front wheel for just about any wheel
with a normal number of spokes (32-36). Except for Mavic who recommend
95 kgf, according to previously published information.
Old July 17th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
Mark Felber wrote:
Could someone recommend the proper spoke tension for a rear wheel
built with a Velocity Aerohead OC rim?

JB says tension as high as the rim will bear without taking a "taco" or
"potato chip" shape; however, jb says tension only as high as the
manufacturer's recommendation, or the rim will crack around the spoke hole.

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

That's not really what Jobst says. It's what jim beam says Jobst says,
which are usually two (often very) different things. I guess you didn't
read the book, either.
Old July 18th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mark Felber wrote:
Could someone recommend the proper spoke tension for a rear wheel
built with a Velocity Aerohead OC rim?

JB says tension as high as the rim will bear without taking a "taco"
or "potato chip" shape; however, jb says tension only as high as the
manufacturer's recommendation, or the rim will crack around the spoke
hole.

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

That's not really what Jobst says. It's what jim beam says Jobst says,
which are usually two (often very) different things. I guess you didn't
read the book, either.

Well, I actually have read "The Bicycle Wheel" (but not recently). So
much for assumptions.

Do you deny that Jobst Brandt has stated that ONE of the methods for
determining maximum tension is that if the rim does NOT stay true when
stress relieving [1], the spokes are too tight?

[1] Not what happens according to jb.

Old July 18th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

Do you deny that Jobst Brandt has stated that ONE of the methods for
determining maximum tension is that if the rim does NOT stay true when
stress relieving [1], the spokes are too tight?

My (third printing, 1985) copy of The Bicycle wheel says:

"When maximum tension is reached the wheel will not remain true after
stress relieving. This tension should be approached carefully to avoid
rim damage. When the wheel begins to deform upon stress relieving, all
spokes should be loosened half a turn and the wheel re-trued."

mark
Old July 18th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Mark Felber wrote:
Could someone recommend the proper spoke tension for a rear wheel
built with a Velocity Aerohead OC rim?

JB says tension as high as the rim will bear without taking a "taco"
or "potato chip" shape; however, jb says tension only as high as the
manufacturer's recommendation, or the rim will crack around the spoke
hole.

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

That's not really what Jobst says. It's what jim beam says Jobst says,
which are usually two (often very) different things. I guess you didn't
read the book, either.

"as high as the rim can bear" is what jobst says on this group.

"spokes must be as tight as the rim permits" is what he says in "the
book". [3rd edition.]

either way, he equates increasing spoke tension with increasing wheel
strength: "a wheel with spoke tension near the limit of rim strength can
support large loads easily" - which is untrue, misleading and reveals
gross misunderstanding.
Old July 18th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.jimbeam.com/beam/default.aspx? writes:

[...]

I think such statements need a bit of evidence to be credible.

A wire spoked bicycle wheel can carry loads up to the point where its
spokes become slack from compression as they pass the load point on
the road. The looser the spokes the more easily this occurs and
conversely the tighter the spoke the less this occurs.

I have ridden many 100k miles with wheels tensioned as described
without needing to re-true them or to replace cracked rims. These
have been socketed tubular rims (Fiamme, Super Champion, and Mavic)
and Super Champion "Gentleman" and Mavic MA-2 clincher rims. I still
ride the latter as do most of my fellow riders, ones who do not see
themselves as professional like racers..

When riding rough roads such as described in rec.bicycles.rides "Last
chance road", I and my bikie friends wonder if the light weight "with
it" crowd ever experience roads that are demanding on 36-spoke wheels.

http://tinyurl.com/2uc6tb

Dings in rims also come from insufficient inflation, a parallel to
insufficient spoke tension in supporting loads.

http://geocities.com/rayhosler/slideshow.html

Ride bike!

Jobst Brandt

Spoke tension [email protected] Techniques 112 November 23rd 06 07:45 PM
spoke tension grawistkafn Unicycling 11 October 7th 06 11:24 PM
Spoke Tension Bill Techniques 3 August 24th 05 02:07 PM
spoke gauge/spoke tension relation.... [email protected] Techniques 12 January 23rd 05 12:30 AM
(Un)even spoke tension Ted Bennett Techniques 2 July 17th 03 12:33 PM