question about climbing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 24th 18, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default question about climbing

On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 4:06:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 5:33:17 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
James wrote:
On 23/07/18 17:30, wrote:

Agreed. It was of course a joke that you are not allowed to stop
during a climb. I don't but that is just me. This years I start using
a power meter and figured out I can sustain 220 Watts. Knowing this
helps a lot on longer climbs (2 hours and more).

Regarding Tom Dumoulin, in a interview on Dutch television last night
he was asked how his shape was compared to the Giro. He said it is
better. Why? I lost some weight he said: 1 kg. Like I said climbing
is all about Watts/kg, so lose as much weight as you can: on your
bike and on yourself. Don't carry a gallon of water if you don't
gonna use it or tools you don't gonna need.

If someone breaks a chain, scavenge a rock and a rusty nail, but don't
carry a multitool that has a chain tool built in.

I’d leave the growler at home and probably the rope and music setup as
well.

--
duane

YEs this make sense so now I see that just don't redline. Have to try this next time in encounter the climbs I have in the past. I just have always been able to see the finish or know it to redline just right. 8% for 8 miles that requires pacing skills. Like a Marathon and I have done many of them....…….going out fast is disaster more most mortals.

One of the fastest guys I ever rode with was a former marathoner.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Engleman Climbing with Mike made me feel pretty feeble, even before he was a pro, and I was in race shape. If you run marathons, you'll be fine. You might even be some climbing freak.

-- Jay Beattie.

rec.mtn.climbing ? kolldata Techniques 2 June 7th 10 02:56 PM
Climbing Dan O Techniques 76 September 27th 08 05:41 AM
climbing Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 July 3rd 06 09:26 PM
Climbing OTB p e t e f a g e r l i n Mountain Biking 26 May 9th 06 03:56 PM
Question about hill climbing technique Walrus Australia 14 July 17th 04 12:37 PM