Campy 11 speed freehub and 10 speed cassette

Old October 6th 20, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Campy 11 speed freehub and 10 speed cassette

For the life of me I cannot understand what is going on. I have some new carbon wheels with probably 11 speed Campy freehubs. When I put a 10 speed cassette on them it is loose. I was under the impression that the 10 speed and the 11 speed took up the same space? I know on the Shimano 10-11-12 speed freehub I have to put a spacer in for the 11 speed to attach tightly.

OK, I just went down and put a superlight 10 speed cassette on it and everything tightened up properly. I wonder if someone pulled a fast one on me and sold me an 11 speed Campy cassette with a missing cog? Since I have a lot of 10 speed campy freewheels around here I just turned the ultrasonic cleaner on and when it comes up to temperature I'll clean another 10 speed and see if it goes on the other wheel. If I have a Campy 11 speed I somewhere got the idea that the Campy and Shimano 11 speeds had the same spacing.

Does anyone know if that is true? If so I can just get another cog and make up a spare 11-28 11 speed for the Lemond. I worked all morning getting that damn thing shifting properly. NONE of the front derailleur adjustments work the way you would expect them to. Also I put the new FSA crank into it without the wave washer and that screws the spacing up. So out and back in with the wave washer. Multitudinous adjustments until it is shifting cleanly and quietly We have to discover just what the hell Japanese think "fast and slow" and "high and low" are. Setting the computer up and then setting the limit screws up seem to mean the opposite things.

Anyway the Lemond is now ready to ride. I have 4 Seasons 28 mm Continentals on them so I can test them out. Sooner or later I'll be able to buy Michelin 28 mm Pro4's again and I'll put those on the Colnago since the GP5000's are a royal pain in the ass. When using them they are weaving all around the road because the compound is so sticky. And they wear out because of that pretty rapidly. I don't think I put 700 miles on one set. If you race criteriums they would be just the thing but training? No way.

While cleaning out my cupboard looking for a spacer that would make that Campy work I ran across some ceramic roller idler pullies and installed those in a spare Chorus 10 speed rear derailleur so that it matches the other one.

My Look 585 hasn't arrived and it is 2 days late and I paid for rapid delivery. And the tracking number through eBay tells me that the package is held up in Bell Gardens, CA where ever the hell that is. So I went to the USPS tracking site and they told me that it was held up in LA and will be late but it hasn't been lost and is on its way.
Old October 6th 20, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 7 oktober 2020 om 00:05:33 UTC+2 schreef :
[...]

A 11 sp cassette should fit on a 10 speed freehub. I can remember that some 10 speed Campy cassettes (Centaur?) use different spacers within one cassette. Shimano and Campy use a slightly different pitch between the cogs.

Lou
Old October 7th 20, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/6/2020 5:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Campagnolo current body runs 9, 10, 11 or 12 speed cassettes
with no modification.

If your cassette sprockets are loose on the body, there's a
missing spacer or sprocket.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 7th 20, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 5:57:32 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure that I was sold an 11 speed cassette with a cog missing. Everything else works fine. And my El Cheapo ultrasonic cleaner with some auto high grade cleaner in it cleans my cassettes almost like new with a 5 minute run.