Light Bulbs

Old November 24th 05, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Light Bulbs

Please post the url for locating different styles of battery powered light
bulbs. I am looking for a screw base bulb for 3.5 v dc. any Ideas?

Jim

Old November 24th 05, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

jkinney2 wrote:
Please post the url for locating different styles of battery powered light
bulbs. I am looking for a screw base bulb for 3.5 v dc. any Ideas?

Jim

http://www.reflectalite.com/vacuumpage.html

- Frank Krygowski

Old November 24th 05, 10:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote in message
oups.com...

jkinney2 wrote:
Please post the url for locating different styles of battery powered

light
bulbs. I am looking for a screw base bulb for 3.5 v dc. any Ideas?

Jim

http://www.reflectalite.com/vacuumpage.html

- Frank Krygowski

Thanks, now I am really confused

Jim

Old November 24th 05, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

jkinney2 wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

jkinney2 wrote:
Please post the url for locating different styles of battery powered

light
bulbs. I am looking for a screw base bulb for 3.5 v dc. any Ideas?

Jim

http://www.reflectalite.com/vacuumpage.html

- Frank Krygowski

Thanks, now I am really confused

Why? What confuses you about screw base 3.5 v bulbs?

- Frank Krygowski

Old November 25th 05, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Check out the line of Coleman lights and bulbs in the camping
section of a store. They have some small screw-in bulbs. They used to
make a 12-volt bulb for one of their lights, that I used on a bike, but
they discontinued it. You might also go to an industrial electronics
supply house, as those places have such things, that you'd never see
elsewhere.

Steve McDonald

Old November 25th 05, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote in message
oups.com...

jkinney2 wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

jkinney2 wrote:
Please post the url for locating different styles of battery powered

light
bulbs. I am looking for a screw base bulb for 3.5 v dc. any Ideas?

Jim

http://www.reflectalite.com/vacuumpage.html

- Frank Krygowski

Thanks, now I am really confused

Why? What confuses you about screw base 3.5 v bulbs?

- Frank Krygowski

I had no idea there would be so many choices. I thought I had a good idea
in taking my petzel mega light and using it on my bicycle the darn thing is
very bright and works great for my use. This year I got tired of buying
batteries so I went and purchased some AA NiMh so far so good. Charged them
up and started to use them, my commute is in the dark both ways. I noticed
that even new the light was not as bright as it was with regular batteries.
Not being to bright myself I found that the rechargeable ones only produce
1.2 volts, I just figured that if I could find a bulb that ran on 3.6-3.0
volts it would solve my problem. While looking for bulbs I also came across
a web site for led bulbs not sure I want to spend 25.00 US for a bulb but it
does interest me.

Old November 26th 05, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

jkinney2 wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

What confuses you about screw base 3.5 v bulbs?

I had no idea there would be so many choices. I thought I had a good idea
in taking my petzel mega light and using it on my bicycle the darn thing is
very bright and works great for my use. This year I got tired of buying
batteries so I went and purchased some AA NiMh so far so good. Charged them
up and started to use them, my commute is in the dark both ways. I noticed
that even new the light was not as bright as it was with regular batteries.
Not being to bright myself I found that the rechargeable ones only produce
1.2 volts, I just figured that if I could find a bulb that ran on 3.6-3.0
volts it would solve my problem. While looking for bulbs I also came across
a web site for led bulbs not sure I want to spend 25.00 US for a bulb but it
does interest me.

OK.

Picking bulbs is a little more complicated than you think. Three 1.5
volt batteries and three 1.2 volt batteries might actually do well with
the same bulb.

Why? Because the battery's voltage rating is measured when it's
delivering zero current. But batteries have not only voltage, but
internal resistance. When the current flows, the voltage is actually less.

How much less? Depends on the amount of current, and on the internal
resistance of the battery. I know that 1.2 volt Ni-Cads have
significantly less resistance than 1.5 volt alkalines. So they may
produce pretty much the same effective voltage when the bulb is lit.

I admit, I haven't played with NiMh batteries yet, so I don't really
know their characteristics. I use generators for almost all my bike
lighting, so my issues are different.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 26th 05, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Sat, 26 Nov 2005 02:18:26 GMT,
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

I admit, I haven't played with NiMh batteries yet, so I don't really
know their characteristics. I use generators for almost all my bike
lighting, so my issues are different.

I've noticed that fully charged NiMh batteries don't seem to keep my
LED blinkies as bright for nearly as long as a new pair of alkaline
batteries.
--
zk
Old November 26th 05, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 02:18:26 GMT,
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

I admit, I haven't played with NiMh batteries yet, so I don't really
know their characteristics. I use generators for almost all my bike
lighting, so my issues are different.

I've noticed that fully charged NiMh batteries don't seem to keep my
LED blinkies as bright for nearly as long as a new pair of alkaline
batteries.
--

NIMH batteries don't hold a charge very long, and will go dead without using
them at all in a few weeks. This makes them poor choices for, say, that

This may be what's happening to you here. The blinkies don't use a lot of
juice, and so the NIMH batteries may simply be going dead.

Old November 27th 05, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:28:08 GMT, "Mike Kruger"
wrote:

I've noticed that fully charged NiMh batteries don't seem to keep my
LED blinkies as bright for nearly as long as a new pair of alkaline
batteries.
--

NIMH batteries don't hold a charge very long, and will go dead without using
them at all in a few weeks. This makes them poor choices for, say, that
emergency flashlight to use when the lights go out. On the other hand,
alkaline batteries will last for years if not used. So, neither is the
better technology unless you first answer the question "better in what
ways"?

This may be what's happening to you here. The blinkies don't use a lot of
juice, and so the NIMH batteries may simply be going dead.

The blinkies see daily use. OTOH, the MP3 player and external speakers
don't. I just checked. yep, they're duds.