Identify these rims off a Klein Stage Comp

Old December 2nd 05, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Identify these rims off a Klein Stage Comp

Need the ERD for rebuild - current spokes are too long.

Silver, has sticker that says KAZ Welding Technology. Other stickers
missing. Semi-aero profile (more like CXP's than OP's). I think they
are Matrix ISO CII's but cannot confirm.

Can you?

TIA

D'ohBoy

Old December 2nd 05, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

D'ohBoy wrote:
Need the ERD for rebuild - current spokes are too long.

Silver, has sticker that says KAZ Welding Technology. Other stickers
missing. Semi-aero profile (more like CXP's than OP's). I think they
are Matrix ISO CII's but cannot confirm.

Can you?

TIA

D'ohBoy

Got somebody locally that has Wheelsmith rods to measure?

Old December 2nd 05, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter asked:

Got somebody locally that has Wheelsmith rods to measure?

said in my best "Grandpa Simpson after removing his underwear without
removing his pants" voice

I don't know!!!!

D'ohBoy, who lives in the Madison, WI area

Old December 2nd 05, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"D'ohBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Need the ERD for rebuild - current spokes are too long.

Two spokes, two nipples, and a ruler will tell you the ERD.

Old December 2nd 05, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

JT wrote:

Two spokes, two nipples, and a ruler will tell you the ERD.

JT:

Assume I am an idiot (perhaps not far off) and explain the methodology
for doing as you suggest.

Thanks,

D'ohBoy

Old December 2nd 05, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"D'ohBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
JT wrote:

Two spokes, two nipples, and a ruler will tell you the ERD.

JT:

Assume I am an idiot (perhaps not far off) and explain the methodology
for doing as you suggest.

No, but it is simple.

Put a spoke in each of two diametrically opposite holes; thread a nipple
onto each, pull them taught.

Measure the distance between the ends of the nipples closest to the centre.
Call this "A"

Measure one nipple. Call this "B"

ERD = A + 2*B

Repeat for some small number of opposite holes, just in case your rim is
slightly out-of-round.

Old December 2nd 05, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Identify these rims off a Klein Stage Comp - clarification

It is simple. I keep a couple of spokes with rusted on nipples and the
elbows cut off, but that's not required.

Put a spoke in each of two diametrically opposite holes; thread a nipple
onto each until the spoke is flush with the end of the nipple, pull them
taut.

Measure the distance between the inside curve of the elbows at the
centre. Call this "A". If your spokes overlap then the value of A is
negative.

Measure the length of one spoke with a nipple threaded on flush as
before. Bottom of head of spoke nipple to inside of elbow. Call this "B".

ERD = A + 2*B

Repeat for some small number of opposite holes, just in case your rim
is slightly out-of-round. I hadn't thought of this. Good idea.

jtaylor wrote:
"D'ohBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old December 2nd 05, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2 Dec 2005 07:12:56 -0800, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

JT wrote:

Two spokes, two nipples, and a ruler will tell you the ERD.

JT:

Assume I am an idiot (perhaps not far off) and explain the methodology
for doing as you suggest.

Put them into two holes on opposite sides of the rim, bring the ends
together (without forcing the rim into an egg shape), measure how far
apart they are, then measure the length of each spoke from wherever you
just measured to the part of the nipple that sits on the spoke hole, and
plug those three numbers into google calculator. Presto.

Do it twice at right angles to each other if you thin the rim might be
slightly out of round.

Jasper
Old December 3rd 05, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2 Dec 2005 06:19:38 -0800, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

Peter asked:

Got somebody locally that has Wheelsmith rods to measure?

said in my best "Grandpa Simpson after removing his underwear without
removing his pants" voice

I don't know!!!!

D'ohBoy, who lives in the Madison, WI area

Take to Andy at Yellow Jersey, he can help you.

Yellow Jersey, Ltd.
419 State Street
Madison, WI 53703
(608) 257-4737

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old December 3rd 05, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter asked:

D'ohBoy wrote:
said in my best "Grandpa Simpson after removing his underwear without
removing his pants" voice
I don't know!!!!
D'ohBoy, who lives in the Madison, WI area

Sure, stop over any time.
(4 blocks west of the Capitol)
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

KLEIN ATTITUDE COMP WORTH matty j General 1 April 6th 04 04:22 PM
Armstrong's Tour De France Time Trials Rik O'Shea Racing 33 November 6th 03 03:46 AM
2004 TdF route prediction trg Racing 43 October 12th 03 10:06 PM
The Graciousness Of A Champion hold my beer and watch this... Racing 41 September 4th 03 08:14 PM