Do Shimano Nexus hubs slip like Sturmey Archer hubs?

Old January 12th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Do Shimano Nexus hubs slip like Sturmey Archer hubs?

Will I be able to stand up on the pedals?

Old January 12th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

If they're adjusted correctly (easy), then no, they don't slip.Only
wierd thing they do is make a bit of noise in some gears while breaking
in. My experience is with the 7 speed--I've got only good things to say
about it.

Old January 12th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

gumtree wrote:
Will I be able to stand up on the pedals?

Yes, they're better at staying properly adjusted than Sturmey Archers and
are harder to accidentally put in between gears whilst shifting.

~PB, some experience of Nexus 7 and old SA 3-speed

Old January 12th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:21:22 -0800, gumtree wrote:

Will I be able to stand up on the pedals?

I'll put in a contrary response. IĀ*have a Shimano Nexus 7 that I just
took off of my commuter. IĀ*did not feel confident standing on the pedals.

It would occasionally rotate the shifting cable holder backwards -- under
hard climbing, usually -- and this would mess up the shifting adjustment.
Once that happens you can skip gears -- this happened to me -- as well as
not being able to find the gear you want.

In addition, the loss of efficiency does not really give you the advantage
you want from the lower gears -- hence the need to stand on the pedals.

I now have a plain single-speed freewheel on that bike, and find the
reliability to be a real plus, along with the better efficiency and
lighter weight. Those internal-gear hubs are quite heavy.

If anyone out there wants to buy a slightly-used Shimano Nexus 7, along
with a roller brake that was hardly used, let me know.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.
(_)/ (_) |

Old January 12th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks David, much appreciated.

What gears do you run on your single speed?

My commute is mainly flat with one steepish hill, what's yours?

Old January 12th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
news
If anyone out there wants to buy a slightly-used Shimano Nexus 7, along
with a roller brake that was hardly used, let me know.

email to you bounces.

my reply-to header has a spam blocker (yours doesn't appear to have one...)

Old January 12th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:33:30 -0800, gumtree wrote:

Thanks David, much appreciated.

What gears do you run on your single speed?

Pretty low, basically since that is what I have around. It's a 48x20,
about a 63" gear.

My commute is mainly flat with one steepish hill, what's yours?

I have a couple of not-too-steep hills, and one steep but short one. That
gear works well. Fixed is more fun, but I've done my time riding fixed
gears with toe-clips and straps.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
_`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
(_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
internet has proven this not to be the case.

Old January 12th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article .com,
says...

Will I be able to stand up on the pedals?

I haven't had mine slip yet. I regularly stand on the pedals with no ill
effects. I have a SG-7R45 hub.
------------
Alex

Old January 12th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:48:34 -0600, satan wrote:

I am interested in the Nexus hub, brake, and shifter.

Please email me at rehorstmarkatnetscapedotnet

Sorry, Satan, but it seems to be spoken for already.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong