Cycling to work

Old April 4th 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Cycling to work

Hi guys, I promise this isn't dissertation research, but a stem from a
discussion in uk.rec.driving...

Do people who cycle a lot tend to cycle to work? How many people here
do? Do you have a shower at work when you get there and do you get
changed? What about footwear? Do you cycle in the same footwear that
you subsequently wear at work? Last question: How far do you think the
average person (or perhaps yourself), would be able to regularly cycle
to work without really working up a sweat such that they don't feel
the need a shower when they get there?

Cheers

Ed

Old April 4th 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

Ed Chilada wrote:
Hi guys, I promise this isn't dissertation research, but a stem from a
discussion in uk.rec.driving...

Do people who cycle a lot tend to cycle to work?

That depends on how far away they are. By national standards the
converse is true, those who cycle to work tend to cycle a lot (national
average is 35 miles a year or some such which would be an average
commute of about 100m if that.)

How many people here
do? Do you have a shower at work when you get there and do you get
changed?

No. It depends on distance and time. I have a short commute, no time
really to work up more of a sweat than running from the car park in to
the lab.. When I lived further away (up to 16 miles) I'd pedal harder
to shorten the time, and shower and change.

What about footwear? Do you cycle in the same footwear that
you subsequently wear at work?

Yes.

Last question: How far do you think the
average person (or perhaps yourself), would be able to regularly cycle
to work without really working up a sweat such that they don't feel
the need a shower when they get there?

Depends on the terrain. 15-20 minutes of mild exertion - equivalent to
a brisk walk so 5 miles in a fairly flat area (ie London). There is an
interview with Stephanie Flanders (daughter of Michael and Newsnight
Economics editor) in the latest edition of Cycle (CTC house rag) who
cycles about 6 miles or so each way in London in normal clothes,
including high heels. This is normal.

Unless a route is exceptionally long or arduous, cycling is as sweaty
as walking, sometimes less.

You don't *have* to go like a bat out of hell, in the same way you
don't have to jog instead of walk.

Generally I'd expect the average person to be able to do an everyday
flattish commute of 5 miles each way by bike, in normal clothes and it
would take no more than 25-30 mins door to door with no showering etc.
required.

For longer/faster trips where a shower is available at work and riding
in cycling clothes, there is no need to shower before getting on the
bike, just offset it till after the commute instead of before.

For a keen cyclist on good kit, IMHO an ideal commute is 7-12 miles.
This is about 30-40 mins door to door (depending on terrain) and is the
kind of distance that gives a good workout but is feasible to do every
day.

...d

Old April 4th 06, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I cycle 3 km to work. Since I work in a university, I could use the uni
gym to shower and change, but I never do.

I wear caterpillar boots, which are suitable both for cycling and
office.

Most of the year, sweating can be avoided simply by wearing less than
you would
while walking.

I work up more sweat running around the office all day than cycling!

If you cycle at a leisurely pace (12 km/h) you'll sweat less than a
pedestrian.
Outside summer, you can cycle for about an hour at that speed without
needing a shower.

Old April 4th 06, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Ed Chilada wrote:
Hi guys, I promise this isn't dissertation research, but a stem from a
discussion in uk.rec.driving...

Do people who cycle a lot tend to cycle to work?

Don't know.

How many people here
do?

In terms of journeys, virtually every journey less than 10 miles I do by
bike. In terms of distance, the cycling distance is dwarfed by the
train and plane miles I do.

Do you have a shower at work when you get there and do you get
changed?

There is a shower. I usually don't use it, because my commute in is
downhill almost all the way so I don't get sweaty - although if it's a
pleasant day and I'm up early I'll extend my commute accordingly, and
likewise I'll sometimes go for a workout down and up the hill over
lunchtime, necessitating the shower. Change in the shower, it's a big
lockable room.

What about footwear? Do you cycle in the same footwear that
you subsequently wear at work?

Yes.

Last question: How far do you think the
average person (or perhaps yourself), would be able to regularly cycle
to work without really working up a sweat such that they don't feel
the need a shower when they get there?

Depends on the terrain, the roads, the prevailing wind, how fat you are,
how fast you want to go, for example; It's perfectly possible to tootle
along for hours on the flat, without breaking a sweat; an average
non-cyclist could probably easily maintain something around 8 mph with
ease, faster with practice.

R.
Old April 4th 06, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I usually cycle to work. 5 miles each way. I have changing and
showering facilities at work and change all my clothes and footwear at
work.
Whether or not a change of clothes is needed is more a function of
how fast you cycle than how far. Nobody would suggest a change of
clothes after walking 20 or 30 minutes to work. There is likewise no
need to change and shower after a slow cycle to work.
Up to 5 miles each way either the slow no shower, or faster
and shower/change method works Once distances were 10 miles or more
each way the advantages of shorter journey times and the comfort of
wearing cycling specific clothing will IMO outweigh the convenience of
commuting in everyday clothes.
The point where a commute becomes too long to do without
showering/washing and changing will vary depending on the terrain, the
individual, the weather, and possibly the facilities available at work.

Iain

Old April 4th 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

"David Martin" writes:

You don't *have* to go like a bat out of hell

I know this is theoretically true, but who among us has that much
restraint?

-dan

--
http://coruskate.blogspot.com/ # why skate when you can talk about it instead?
Old April 4th 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Ed Chilada wrote:

Hi guys, I promise this isn't dissertation research, but a stem from a
discussion in uk.rec.driving...

Do people who cycle a lot tend to cycle to work? How many people here
do?

I do. istance varies. It was 50 miles yesterday, 6 today.

Do you have a shower at work when you get there and do you get
changed?

No shower at work. I carry out my work in my cycling gear :-)

What about footwear? Do you cycle in the same footwear that
you subsequently wear at work?

Yes. Cycling shoes, unless I use the Brompton - then its my Meindle
walking shoes.

Last question: How far do you think the
average person (or perhaps yourself), would be able to regularly cycle
to work without really working up a sweat such that they don't feel
the need a shower when they get there?

2-3 miles for a complete beginner, but lack of puff and aching muscles
are likely to be the restricting factors. However this will improve
markedly after only a few days and a rider will become fit enough to
'work up a sweat' if they so choose - or they could just enjoy pootling
along.

Hilly terrain will increase sweating though.

John B

Old April 4th 06, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Do people who cycle a lot tend to cycle to work? How many people here
do?

Most of my cycling is commuting

Do you have a shower at work when you get there and do you get
changed? What about footwear? Do you cycle in the same footwear that
you subsequently wear at work?

I change and shower at work. Cycling is my excercise as well as my
transport so I like to push it a bit.

Last question: How far do you think the
average person (or perhaps yourself), would be able to regularly cycle
to work without really working up a sweat such that they don't feel
the need a shower when they get there?

I've done 5 miles OK on occasion, but I still like to change shoes because
- Cool shoes are nice to put on when its hot
- Wet shoes are nice to take off when its rainy
- I like to use SPDs

If going any further on a regular basis I'd want to go fast and change on
arrival

Wet is as much of a problem as sweat for anything more than a short trip.
On rainy days you either wrap up and get extra sweaty or let the rain in and
get wet. Either way it is nice to change after.

Old April 4th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Ed Chilada wrote:
Hi guys, I promise this isn't dissertation research, but a stem from a
discussion in uk.rec.driving...

Do people who cycle a lot tend to cycle to work?

Not all that often, although I did today. There are two problems: the
weather, and the ever-present threat of instant and violent death. The
latter is quite likely on the roads I have to use - leaving well before
the rush hour helps a lot.

How many people here
do? Do you have a shower at work when you get there and do you get
changed?

Yes - I have managed to blag a locker at work so I can keep stocks of
clothes there and swap them over when I use the car. Saves lugging half
a ton of kit in and out every day, which is what I used to do.

What about footwear? Do you cycle in the same footwear that
you subsequently wear at work?

No...I keep work shoes in the locker.

Last question: How far do you think the
average person (or perhaps yourself), would be able to regularly cycle
to work without really working up a sweat such that they don't feel
the need a shower when they get there?

Depends how hard they ride, but for me it would be no more than half a
mile, and my commute is about 5.5 miles one-way. I sweat *a lot*.
Old April 4th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Do people who cycle a lot tend to cycle to work?

Yes, and perhaps no, depending on what you mean by the question :-/

How many people here do?

Dunno, I do.

Do you have a shower at work when you get there and do you get
changed?

Nope, I'm slowly learning the art of the trundly.

What about footwear? Do you cycle in the same footwear that
you subsequently wear at work?

Yep.

Last question: How far do you think the
average person (or perhaps yourself), would be able to regularly cycle
to work without really working up a sweat such that they don't feel
the need a shower when they get there?

It's got little to do with distance, just with the amount of effort you're
putting into it and the clothes your wearing (and the temperature, and how
much fat you have on you etc etc). S'pose you can sweat for a short while
without smelling thobut.

A non-cyclist would be able to do oooh, about 10 miles in an hour. They'd
probably find that fairly tiring for the first week to so. They wouldn't
need a shower however far they went, as long as they didn't wear too much.
If you're sweating then remove layers.

[Long] ASA vs CTC Not Responding UK 18 January 20th 05 12:36 AM
Cycling Art Work - Contemporary Colors & Design Gary Coles UK 0 November 16th 04 01:56 AM
published helmet research - not troll Frank Krygowski Social Issues 1716 October 24th 04 06:39 AM
Cycling to work banned James Annan UK 84 January 30th 04 05:54 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM